Gibson Brands Forums

The Cars

cookieman15061

I recently read that they are in studio working together again and it made me get out the old albums and revisit my freshman year of college.

The were the one "new wave" band that I stuck with for more than on album.

I'm still amazed at the great guitar solos that Elliott Easton brought to every song. Even the songs that tended to be weird and keyboard driven had unbelievable rock guitar solos right there in the middle.

Really an overlooked player.

I'm with you Cookie!

I loved the clarity, the heavy, surgically precise drums, and the Easton guitar work.

Some of the synth stuff was sorta cool, worked with the songs.

Even after they went more pop after Candy-O, there was still a good song or two.

Mrs. Neo hears them and says "I can't believe you ever listed to that..."

[-(

While on this subject and Moving in Stereo I would love to know if anyone over 35 years old can listen to this song without thinking of the pool scene from Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

[blush] I'm 35 and no, I can't. Greatest musical accompaniment moment in cinema...ever!

I recently read that they are in studio working together again and it made me get out the old albums and revisit my freshman year of college.

The were the one "new wave" band that I stuck with for more than on album.

I'm still amazed at the great guitar solos that Elliott Easton brought to every song. Even the songs that tended to be weird and keyboard driven had unbelievable rock guitar solos right there in the middle.

Really an overlooked player.

Man Ocasek has a look like someone farted at his birthday party on that “Bye Bye Love” clip. Dig the Dean though.

I'd post it but there are nude scenes in it so it would be against the standards of this forum; but if you do a search it can be found. Or just buy the video at Walmart for 5 bucks...

And Fountains Of Wayne did a homage to the cars and that scene with their Stacy's Mom Video.

But I can't hear Cashmere without thinking of that movie....

Hah!

"... side one of Led Zeppelin IV, chicks can't resist that!"

Then in the scene they are playing Kashmir, and it's not even on that album!

I always wondered if that was on purpose, as a plot thing in the movie (since it goes bad for the guy).

Surely the folks doing music for that movie know their Led Zep better than that, eh?

Yeah I don't know if I can take a whole cd worth of just Ocasek on vocals as Ben Orr's voice is sorely missed since he passed away.

Paul Carrik would sound good filling in.....

( Seriously )

I confess to wearing the first two Cars albums out. I had cassettes in the car too. Easton was one tasty mofo.

I guess they were " Just what You Needed " [flapper] Good Times Roll; simplicity at it's best..New wave ? Perhaps, but will always stand up to the difficult test of time.

Archived