Gibson Brands Forums

Releasing an EP

Silenced Fred

Talked to my drummer, I have like 8 complete songs done that we both like a lot. Over winter break, we are going to record an EP and get that done so we can send it to venues as well as sell if anyone wants it. Any advice on how to get people to know about us? I have a facebook page, the purevolume account which I have posted here, what else can I do?

I showed one of the songs to a guy I work with, and he legitimately wanted to buy the song on iTunes, I was fairly impressed.

Has anyone here released an EP or an album? Tips, hints, tricks, etc welcome.

8 songs sounds like a full album to me. An EP would be like 6 songs or less i think...look at all the bands in 70's releasing albums with 7-8 tunes on them. (4 per side)

Good luck - put some time into pre-production and KNOW the song COLD before recording. Take advice from the producers/engineer but don't give him creative control. Most of all, have fun with it.

One tip: Do not release "early unmixed" versions...you will dilute the impact of the actual release.

Good luck man!

8 songs sounds like a full album to me. An EP would be like 6 songs or less i think...look at all the bands in 70's releasing albums with 7-8 tunes on them. (4 per side)

Good luck - put some time into pre-production and KNOW the song COLD before recording. Take advice from the producers/engineer but don't give him creative control. Most of all, have fun with it.

One tip: Do not release "early unmixed" versions...you will dilute the impact of the actual release.

Good luck man!

Yeah, we were only going to do about 4 songs or so for this one. I should have stated that. Yeah, those two songs up on there were somes we messd around with, just to show people we were making music. I don't think either of those songs will be going into the album at all. Our sound changed quite a bit.

None of my experience is current, but we found marketing to be the biggest hurdle, iirc. There was no interwebz back then, so we used signs, handouts and word of mouth to advertise our shows.

I think if I had an EP, and folks were already offering me money for my tunes, I'd look into getting some talent managment. Go reputable and don't enter into any "pay this up front and sell so many tickets to our talent scout show" deals and you'll be fine. I'm pretty sure the old adage holds true that if they are really interested in you, they'll take a cut over money up front.

Good luck man. I hope you break big :D!

A friend of mine as 3 recorded albums, he has a publisher.

His sister is very talented as well and he records/produces stuff for her, he uses his publisher to place her songs on iTunes.

Look for "Bethany and the Guitar" in iTunes and preview. Her tracks have been recorded in a bedroom and well, my friend knows what he is doing.

So far she has a 6 song EP, they were going to record in my guitar room 2 weeks ago but she was sick and could not be done.

The trick to be known is to do live shows so people know of your existence and then can by your tunes.

Talked to my drummer, I have like 8 complete songs done that we both like a lot. Over winter break, we are going to record an EP and get that done so we can send it to venues as well as sell if anyone wants it. Any advice on how to get people to know about us? I have a facebook page, the purevolume account which I have posted here, what else can I do?

I showed one of the songs to a guy I work with, and he legitimately wanted to buy the song on iTunes, I was fairly impressed.

I've been part of bands that did it a couple ways. If you plan to play out a lot, I'm told that CDs are still a good money-maker. If not, you might try what I'm trying: NoiseTrade.com. You don't charge for the songs, but get people to trade their e-mail address for a free download. It's one way to build a base of people who want to hear from you when you release more music, and the widget encourages people to forward the free download to friends, so it has the opportunity to go viral.

I think the idea is that your guy who wants to buy the music would be pumped about getting it free, and be happy to send it on to friends, thus becoming an advocate for you. If he really wants to pay you, there's a "Tip Jar" that uses Pay Pal. A lot of my reading says that, due to modern media, bands should consider their recorded music not as a product to sell, but as a marketing tool for their live shows and merch. Kind of the way bands back in the day counted on radio play not for income, but to get their name out. But in general, if you want people to know you, play out.

It's worked out okay for me (you can see the widget on my website... which is actually a free Blogger Blog), except that nobody has left any tips yet. [razz]

Hit every avenue you can, do as much of it yourself as you can.

Digital downloads are going to be your easiest way to get your music out.

With our last album, we wasted a lot of money on jewel cased cds just to end up sending discs and booklets only to our European resellers. CD's are still popular, but don't waste the time on a package that is more than just a printed sleeve, or cardboard fold. Get your own domain and setup your own website as well as the usual Myspace, Facebook, etc...

Get a digipak together that you can email or media disc mail out to promoters, clubs/venues, local radio stations, that has bio, photos, any video and music you want to include. Remember this too, there is no profit in the beginning. Right now you want to establish yourself and FREE moves fast.

Anyway - good luck!

Well Nathan, Cabba and Highwayman gave you good advice.....Today's music world is different than when I was in the 'game.' Copywrite your songs, now.....

Good for you and good luck......

It is tempting to be cute and funny here but what you are doing is serious stuff....[thumbup]

Hit every avenue you can, do as much of it yourself as you can.

Digital downloads are going to be your easiest way to get your music out.

With our last album, we wasted a lot of money on jewel cased cds just to end up sending discs and booklets only to our European resellers. CD's are still popular, but don't waste the time on a package that is more than just a printed sleeve, or cardboard fold. Get your own domain and setup your own website as well as the usual Myspace, Facebook, etc...

Get a digipak together that you can email or media disc mail out to promoters, clubs/venues, local radio stations, that has bio, photos, any video and music you want to include. Remember this too, there is no profit in the beginning. Right now you want to establish yourself and FREE moves fast.

Anyway - good luck!

Oh yeah, once we get the recordings, we will have CDs at shows, but all of it will be available just streaming on the web to get the word out.

I expect at least 2 million net in the first year :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks for posting that video.

Now I understand why some of the recording musicians I know do not want to sign with a record company.

When they told me they did not wat to sign I thought they were bluffing.

Oh yeah, we joke about waiting until we get signed by Sony Records, but its DIY all the way. Huge influence on that: Black Keys.

hey good luck on your project.We just finished a CD. We recorded and mixed it ourselves. We sent it out to be mastered. We went through Discmakers and CD baby.CD Baby sent it out to I Tunes and the other download sites.It wasn't that expensive and they do a good job.Make sure you get your songs copyrighted. You can do it right on the government copyright website.Also I am reading a book called the Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook by Bob Baker to get some ideas.The band is just the 2 of us. The drummer and I.We play instrumental music. Good Luck

I don't know how it works now...... But what Ben Scotti told me was if you cant sell out a club, you'll never sell out a venue.... Basically you have to create a buzz.

If you plan to distribute this EP to AR people, you better make sure it's of above average quality. And be prepared to back it up with a live performance in a club that's sold out.

Good-Luck my friend [thumbup]

I don't know how it works now...... But what Ben Scotti told me was if you cant sell out a club, you'll never sell out a venue.... Basically you have to create a buzz.

If you plan to distribute this EP to AR people, you better make sure it's of above average quality. And be prepared to back it up with a live performance in a club that's sold out.

Good-Luck my friend [thumbup]

BIC.... butts in chairs. This is how it used to be; glad to see it hasn't changed!

Today if I was in the game as a young musician in a band, I would never make an EP available on-line for the general public.

First thing I would do is put a band together, and polish it as a live band.

Second: Have a minimum music back-log of 30 complete original tunes.

Third. Rent a live rehearsal studio and make a live video of a two song performance, so that listeners can get a feel for your band, and want to come see you live and pay the $20 cover charge.

Once you get a big following, go for the EP and the complete band bio for AR Reps.... If all of the above falls in to place, and you can get AR representatives to attend shows, it will be time for management.

Basically your band will be chewing some serious asphalt... But keep in mind the chances of any commercial success is one in a million..... So just have fun.

This.

At the end of the road, you can look back and, regardless of your success or lack thereof, you can always say "Man, didn't we have fun?!?"

In my first band we worked so hard and we practiced a minimum of 30 hours a week, and this doesn't account for individual practicing.... But for the most part we somewhat had fun

Basically Fred is gonna have to give up the forum stuff, because it does absolutely nothing for you from a band stand-point, and he's out of the gates rather late for his age. So if Fred is serious, we shouldn't see much of him around here anymore.... That would be my first piece of advice to Fred.... say bye bye to forums

I'll be honest, I had the pleasure of playing with some ultra talented musicians, and I would have sworn I was going to eventually see them shining under the bright lights, but it wasn't to be....

I have released a ton of recordings over the years, all in limited production (800 or so per release), that a way I dont get stuck with too much product if they don't sell. The most important thing to remember is nobody can market you like yourself. Because I don't want identified I wont say under what name I release my material, but I will say that Names matter, and so does Cover Art. I feel that I have sold more Cd's because of the covert art and name used than because of the music itself, even though I think the music is quality.. There is so much music out there that the concept is what matters most now with people who actually buy music. When was the last time you bought music and didn't download it?? You gotta give people something worth buying, or they will just download it... Thats why places like I tunes is cool, because you can sell your music digitally and not worry about overhead.. which is really the way to go.. just promote the hell out of yourself and have affordable high quality music.. its the only reasonable way for unsigned artists to go about it anymore..

All great advice, but damn 20 cover; cant do that in S Miss. Maybe between 5 to 10 bucks here.

$15-$20 will get you 4 or 5 original bands opening for one semi-famous Headliner around these parts. For what we do $5-$10 is about standard, if the place even has a cover charge. But thing change the closer you get to LA, $15 might get you a parking space. <_<

On Topic, Gotta love D!ck Dale. His advice is priceless!!

Archived