Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Gibson?

neilpanda

I had a lead player who used both an SG and an LP. Overall I like the SG for that raw kick *** thrashing sound. I had an SG Jr. in 1969 that sounded great through a Sivertone 2X12 amp.

I forget a real gem of a gibson guitarmsp_thumbup.gif...the Chet Akins Tennessean! I played a gorgeous S/H one in 2007 but at the time was won over by The Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod. The Tennessean, although basically a 335, is regarded by many as one of the finest guitars Gibson made. I think I agree judging by this baby!

Talking of Chet, I am also very keen on getting the Chet Atkins CE Nylon guitar. I love the idea of loud classical guitar with little or no feedback....Either that or a Godin dry.gif

Matt

I love Les Pauls and SGs! They are both amazing and I definitely want one of each. But by far, with out contest, not even a shadow of a doubt my favorite Gibson I have ever played is the Gibson Johnny A signature!!!!!!!!! IT IS THE MOST AMAZING GUITAR!!!!!!!!!! I swear to god, Gibson needs to make this one of there main guitars along with the LPs, SGs, ES series. I think it easily has the potential to be the next big thing.

Just look at it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aGhE-xMYf0

I love Les Pauls and SGs! They are both amazing and I definitely want one of each. But by far, with out contest, not even a shadow of a doubt my favorite Gibson I have ever played is the Gibson Johnny A signature!!!!!!!!! IT IS THE MOST AMAZING GUITAR!!!!!!!!!! I swear to god, Gibson needs to make this one of there main guitars along with the LPs, SGs, ES series. I think it easily has the potential to be the next big thing.

Just look at it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aGhE-xMYf0

Wow, that is a cool guitar! It has that Yamaha vibe but cooler.

Okay...

Any of the archtops are awesome, whether full hollow or semi - and they're exactly what almost anybody else wants to copy. I think for electric purposes the ideal all-around is the es175 for a full and the 335 for semi. All are good that I've touched; and frankly the Epis on the Gibson "frame" are awfully fine guitars, especially price per value, compared to almost anything else. Made in China may or may not be a good "thing" for not-playing issues, but...

The thing that deeply bothers me about the average SG "fan" is that he/she thinks of it specifically as pretty much a rock guitar. Frankly I think it's marvelously versatile and doesn't get the credit it deserves for that. As far as I'm concerned it's the best all-around solidbody guitar ever designed in terms of being both eminently playable and comfortable regardless how one plays - and the sound is every bit as versatile whether it's doing rock, country or even jazz. Yeah, in theory it's top-heavy, but I never had a problem with the design myself.

The Paul? I know I'm a bad guy to some folks, but I never bonded with the feel of it. Period. I even had my hands on a semi that was Paul sized and sounded fine - and was almost a "steal" I could have snapped up but... something just doesn't click on any of 'em.

If there's a "weakness" to the new technology Gibsons from "just" robot to the fancier stuff, I think it's that most of us have had the chance to mess with "traditional" designs and not with the new stuff. Which certainly is why nobody's likely to mention one of 'em here.

m

Okay...

Any of the archtops are awesome, whether full hollow or semi - and they're exactly what almost anybody else wants to copy. I think for electric purposes the ideal all-around is the es175 for a full and the 335 for semi. All are good that I've touched; and frankly the Epis on the Gibson "frame" are awfully fine guitars, especially price per value, compared to almost anything else. Made in China may or may not be a good "thing" for not-playing issues, but...

The thing that deeply bothers me about the average SG "fan" is that he/she thinks of it specifically as pretty much a rock guitar. Frankly I think it's marvelously versatile and doesn't get the credit it deserves for that. As far as I'm concerned it's the best all-around solidbody guitar ever designed in terms of being both eminently playable and comfortable regardless how one plays - and the sound is every bit as versatile whether it's doing rock, country or even jazz. Yeah, in theory it's top-heavy, but I never had a problem with the design myself.

The Paul? I know I'm a bad guy to some folks, but I never bonded with the feel of it. Period. I even had my hands on a semi that was Paul sized and sounded fine - and was almost a "steal" I could have snapped up but... something just doesn't click on any of 'em.

If there's a "weakness" to the new technology Gibsons from "just" robot to the fancier stuff, I think it's that most of us have had the chance to mess with "traditional" designs and not with the new stuff. Which certainly is why nobody's likely to mention one of 'em here.

m

I like this. Very well put Milod! msp_thumbup.gif

Nikko...

My baby bro lives out there in your area. I think he's pretty much quit guitar for keyboard, though. Kinda funny, there's so much age difference between us that a guy that was in a saloon jam one night with me made a big deal about playing music with both of us. <grin>

Brother was into the odd-shaped black sorts of guitar. I think he could have been a much better picker if he put himself into it, but... I think he's happier with his keyboard run through a computer nowadays.

m

Nikko...

My baby bro lives out there in your area. I think he's pretty much quit guitar for keyboard, though. Kinda funny, there's so much age difference between us that a guy that was in a saloon jam one night with me made a big deal about playing music with both of us. <grin>

Brother was into the odd-shaped black sorts of guitar. I think he could have been a much better picker if he put himself into it, but... I think he's happier with his keyboard run through a computer nowadays.

m

What's his name? Maybe I just happen to know him.

well, I know Im a little bit late on this but DISCONTINUED NO MORE! [biggrin]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-Standard-2010.aspx

YAYAYAY should I sell my piano for this? [flapper]

It may share the name and the shape, but I expect them to be very different monsters. Every Burstbucker Equipped Gibson I've ever played sounded pretty different from my Nighthawk. I still want one of those new one.

Archived