Gibson Brands Forums

I just heard the kookiest thing...

heymisterk

So I am in the teachers' lounge grabbing a bagel when I ran into the guidance counselor who is a very good guitar player. He has had a Les Paul Standard DC for about a decade now, and about two months ago bought a Paul Reed Smith McCarty.

The kooky part: He told me that his PRS will never need to be set up. He said that PRSs are built "so exact and to such tight specifications" that it will never need to be set up, unlike his LP.

I didn't have time to debate this with him, but this is crap, right? I mean, I know Paul Reed Smiths are terrific guitars and the fit and finish is stellar, but they will still need a set-up, correct? Wood expands, contracts; weather and humidity cause this...the basics of why guitars need a set up.

Right?

I brought my 3 year old SE Single cut in for a set up and the tech said all he really had to do is

change the strings.

I think I paid $500 for that guitar and it is always in tune and I never

put it in its case/bag, and yes the fit and finish is perfect.

I brought my 3 year old SE Single cut in for a set up and the tech said all he really had to do is

change the strings.

Lol! I am selling my PRS-SE. It is a GREAT guitar, but I just don't need another guitar with humbuckers. When I got it, it had been under the bed for a couple of years and needed a pretty major set-up.

change the strings.

My Epiphone EBM bass has only needed to be set up 4 or 5 times over the past 18 years. And like your SE, it never goes out of tune (except for the low B ) from playing, transporting, weather change, etc. Its very rare that I have to tune E-G...to the point that I rarely even check it. I just know its on. And it always is.

I think some guitars are just like that. My newer bass, which out-classes my EBM for miles, is ALWAYS a half-step low when I pull it out to play...without fail.

So . . . many . . . opportunities . . . ... . . . must . . . restrain . . . myself . . .

[scared][-([crying]

So I am in the teachers' lounge ... guidance counselor

Sorry K, but I have to do this;

My Dad told me decades ago -

"Two people, if they are worth a sh!t, why are they talking to YOU? Guidance counselor and a stock broker."

His point was that they SHOULD would be wealthy as hell, on an island, and not returning phone calls.

If their advice (that they are being PAID to dispense as a professional) is so worthy...

[blink] :unsure:

He said that PRSs are built "so exact and to such tight specifications" that it will never need to be set up

(See above.)

unlike his LP.

Some difference among different guitars.

Structurally, some are just more resistant to change over time.

My Les Pauls (Every single one I've ever owned) were pretty stable once the truss rod was dialed in.

The two I have now (2000, 2006) have never had the rod tweaked at all since I bought them new and did the initial set-up.

But when the temperature changes in the house, they are the most susceptible to dramatic tuning changes.

My PRS Custom 24?

Slightly less so.

I think it's a matter of total mass - just a guess.

I didn't have time to debate this with him, but this is crap, right?

Right.

I mean, I know Paul Reed Smiths are terrific guitars and the fit and finish is stellar, but they will still need a set-up, correct?

Wood expands, contracts; weather and humidity cause this...the basics of why guitars need a set up.

Right?

Right.

Your counselor may need a little guidance.

[blink]

...He told me that his PRS will never need to be set up. He said that PRSs are built "so exact and to such tight specifications" that it will never need to be set up, unlike his LP.

He's a know nothing blow-hard. Ain't no guit tar neck strong enough to not move with the seasons or age. If it were you'd have to play it while it sat in it's own holder as it would be too heavy for normal human beings to lift it. But.. maybe your co-worker could.

Wonder what kind of uninformed nonsense he dispenses from his Guidance Counselor's office. [crying]

Maybe he was confused and just mean they didn't need to be set-up when he got them, that I would believe the two PRS I bought new didn't need to be touched when I got them they were spot on. Actually now that I'm thinking about it I have not had to do anything to my PRS guitars since I got them, but never is a very long time...

No, you guys are all right on. I said it was - okay, a bit corny to say it again - but kooky. Still, based on a couple of responses here, it seems that some feel some guitars are LESS likely to need a set up, or at least some feel that way. The key word is some, god bless 'em.

For the record, I had my Alvarez Yairi for ten years before I had it set up, and even after I did I didn't notice a tremendous difference.

Sorry K, but I have to do this;

My Dad told me decades ago -

"Two people, if they are worth a sh!t, why are they talking to YOU? Guidance counselor and a stock broker."

[thumbup][lol][thumbup]

Right on. I have never met a "guidance counseler" who wasn't full of s**t, and very few teachers for that matter so this whole story kinda smells.

eBay??? What am I missing?

They have a corporate office there.

I take it your answer is no.

I'm in a small disagreement with them after holding an account for eight years.

Three bucks.

The only customer service people I can speak with are overseas and they are not allowed to do anything.

With all the offices they have in California and Illinois, why can't I speak to any of them?

Evidently, managers do not manage anything.

So far, the three bucks has cost them over fifty directly, and my account has been inactive now for months.

They have a corporate office there.

I take it your answer is no.

I'm in a small disagreement with them after holding an account for eight years.

Three bucks.

The only customer service people I can speak with are overseas and they are not allowed to do anything.

With all the offices they have in California and Illinois, why can't I speak to any of them?

Evidently, managers do not manage anything.

So far, the three bucks has cost them over fifty directly, and my account has been inactive now for months.

Really? I had no idea they were here.

Sorry about your account.

I do have a good arm and an ample supply of eggs...and nothing to do tonight

Archived