Gibson Brands Forums

LOL..... My net pay after a wage increase

duane v

[blink] ..... So as it is, my net pay has shrunk by $190 every two weeks after receiving a wage increase... LOL!!!! So it looks like I will now have to parley that percentage of increase to my 401k contributions to get that $190 back.... But now I only have a 2% headroom left on 401k contributions [scared]

[blink] ..... So as it is, my net pay has shrunk by $190 every two weeks after receiving a wage increase... LOL!!!! So it looks like I will now have to parley that percentage of increase to my 401k contributions to get that $190 back.... But now I only have a 2% headroom left on 401k contributions [scared]

Funny how that worked out huh?

Make sure you ping your tax folks (or do due diligence if you do your own) as I think 2010 is the last year before the tax laws change. I don't remember exactly what our folks told us, but I think Roth IRAs and 401k contributions that are tax free are going to be affected.

Given my inability to recall the details, I guess it's a Very Good Thing we have people for that..... [biggrin]

Aye! Glad to be able to pass that along.

I can't remember when exactly, but I seem to recall getting an increase that put me into the next tax bracket and resulted in decrease in take home pay. But I'm like you, it seems like I could at least see an extra $5 a week..... (I used to call it the "one lunch" raise) [biggrin]

Have you thought about approaching your employer about maybe perks instead of cash? An extra day off a month? Out on Fridays at 3 instead of 5? Something that may keep you from losing $190 a week?

Just brainstorming trying to help [biggrin]

(edited twice for typing while talking to my wife LOL)

Sounds like someone needs to adjust his withholding. The amount withheld from our paychecks isn't actually taxes of course - merely withholding (of our money) to facilitate us paying our taxes. [biggrin] We can adjust it to whatever we want. Some folks like to get a big tax return so they use their withholding like a savings account. I prefer to get as much of my money as quickly as possible, so I try to match my withholding amount as closely as possible to my actual tax bill. This gets tricky when married with children, but there is a form that, if used correctly, can help you choose the right deductions (married, single, dependents, etc) for your W-4 form which sets your withholding amounts.

Only in America!!

Where you can you work harder and make less.msp_thumbup.gif

Where we wanna burn our food to make fuel.....

which takes more fuel to make then the fuel it creates.............genius!

Where you can take something beautiful like a Gibson Firebird

and turn it into Frankenstien's monster.

I know a lot of us are biting our lips to keep from sounding "political."

So...

A man I worked with for a number of years was old enough to remember the earliest years of the income tax in the U.S. and how proud his parents were that they made enough money to have to pay some.

Now?

It seems to be intended to be a disincentive to work. If you "young guys" are feeling that way, imagine how this discussion is hitting our teen members who almost have to be wondering why even to try beyond having the basics of food, clothing, shelter and government... <grin>

m

Archived