Gibson Brands Forums

New instrument/ toy

Dub-T-123

I went to Hollywood yesterday so I made the customary trip to GC. I was hangin out in the drum room with my friend and I found this little thing.

photo-99.jpg

photo-98.jpg

photo-97.jpg

For size comparison (FF is in an MXR sized enclosure)

This thing is pretty fun to play. It sounds like a little wind-up music box. I think I might try to put a little Piezo on it and see what it sounds like.

They have a little acoustic version too but this one is more comfortable to hold and sustains for days LOL.

photo-96.jpg

You do know what those are ?? I lived in Africa in the mid-sixties for four years....had a couple of the original style ones. You might try using it in recordings...Anyways, nice toy / instrument...

It's not a toy!

Well, in the same sense that an ocarina, a penny whistle, a ukulele and so on are not toys.

They feature prominently in music from a large part of the African continent - especially from places such as Mali. They're easily made and are almost indestructible!

All of the ones I've seen 'in the flesh' have had the soundhole. I've never seen a solid one before.

A few miles from where I live is a museum (the Horniman Museum) which has one of the greatest collections of musical instruments from all over the globe. Downstairs they have a 'Hands-on' room where kids - and adults too, for that matter - can pluck; whack; strum and otherwise play a variety of instruments. I think there were 3 kalimba there the last time I visited. They also sell them in the museum's shop.

Gratz the cool toy! What key is it in? Could it be used like a tuning fork???

They come in all sizes and, therefore, 'keys'. None of ones I've played had a regular 8-note scale; obviously the length of the 'tines' determines the note produced and these tines can be adjusted individually to fine-tune the instrument.

In fact the biggest drawback to the ones in the 'hands-on' room I mentioned above was that the bar(s) which tightened the tines to the body of the instruments had, in each case, loosened-off so it was impossible to know exactly how they should actually be tuned.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to shed light on the matter!

P.

I don't know what key it's in. I don't really know about keys. I'm self taught haha.

I'm sure if you tuned it precisely enough you could use it like a tuning fork. As it is, I could probably tune more accurately by ear/ memory.

I call it a toy because it seems like they dumbed this thing down a little so kids can play it. I still think it's pretty cool and it's fun to play though.

They had an "acoustic" one but it was really just a hollow piece of wood with a hole in it. The wood was really thick and it was pretty obvious that even though it had a soundhole the sound was not enhanced or projected in any way. So I got the solid body for that rockin sustain haha.

I want to somehow make it electric. The wood is really resonant. I'm thinking about putting a cheap little piezo transducer from radioshack on the back.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Pippy. Menfolk often refer to their things as "toys". I have a shop full of power tool "toys", for instance.

I think it's pretty danged cool that it can be tuned!

Drop D music box tunes, anyone???

[thumbup]

I have one of these.... who am I to judge??

2630132_k_g_1.png

Good grief ChanMan...you're a braver man than me!

I had one of those as a kid and almost broke my teeth trying to get the hang of it! LOL!

(And no feathers were ruffled in the slightest, I assure you! I was just speaking up for the little 'un!)

P.

Archived