Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON CASES

tcharva777

Neo says he thinks it's glue, but I don't care, that is a good smell.

Well, some clarification is in order - eh?

[rolleyes]

The New Case Smell is one thing.

The aroma from the case of my Custom Shop double neck was something else, entirely untenable.

I was at the store when we unpacked it - all three of them were like "Oh... God!!!!!"

As we ooohhed & aaaahhed over the new EDS-1275, the smell of the open case did not dissipate.

Finally had to close it - amidst jokes about huffing spray paint and failing drug tests at the powerplant.

Mike, the manager, has opened a million new guitar cases in 25 years.

He said that was as bad as he's ever seen, er - smelled.

Told me later he actually looked it over a little to see if it had been screwed up and hastily repaired.

Expecting it to lessen in intensity over a few days, it did not.

So I put it in the garage, opened it up, and let the warm air do its thing.

Several days of that did the trick, now it smells like a NORMAL new guitar case - and I kinda like it too.

[thumbup]

Damian, your emoticon-only posts are a bit out of character.

Have you had a chat with Duane lately - aside from the public reprimand you received?

:rolleyes:

[scared] ........[rolleyes] ........[lol] .........:-k :-k :-k ........... eusa_clap.gif ..........[scared] ..........[lol]

There is some association between TKL of Canada and Cedar Creek Case Co. of Virginia (USA). It is my understanding that Cedar Creek is the "Custom Shop" for TKL, and also the U.S. warehouse and distributor. So if they make the TKL custom cases they may also make TKL OEM cases there. When I was shopping for a new case for my 1947 L-7, my TKL U.S.A. contact was Cedar Creek Case Co. of Virginia.

So any case made in Virginia at the Cedar Creek facility for TKL, would therefore be "Made In U.S.A.".

Would anybody concur with my perception of Vanilla in new Gibson cases?

V......Olfactory Consultant

:-({|=

Yep Vanilla...I would go with that smell. Mine had a Vanilla / Chocolate smell to it. Actually smelled really good.

Pffffttttt......!!!

Mine was like sticking your head in a bucket of formaldehyde.

[scared][cursing][crying]

thats the exact same thought I had when the brand new case for my EJ-200 arrived......formaldehyde and rubber cement.

it's Chinese but a great fit, and the smell eventually lessened to where my eyes don't literally water.........but the odor HAS seeped into the guitar to a degree, maybe it'll pass, I sure hope so.

my 2010 Canadian SG Std. case is marked "Gibson USA" and smells of fresh nitro, no vanilla, etc.

my 2008 Flying V came in a Canadian TKL case, also marked "Gibson USA", and has never had ANY smell, none.

I don't care where the cases are made, as long as the body fit and neck angle/support are right.

Archived