Gibson Brands Forums

Sore Fingers

albertjohn

Ash and I have a gig tomorrow night so I picked up my guitar for the first time in over a week last night. Soft fingerpads Ouch!

Also had to change a wheel on my car in freezing snow yesterday and my fingers got cold and now sting like crazy when I play.

Using Savlon to repairs the splits etc.

Any ideas?

Ash and I have a gig tomorrow night so I picked up my guitar for the first time in over a week last night. Soft fingerpads Ouch!

Also had to change a wheel on my car in freezing snow yesterday and my fingers got cold and now sting like crazy when I play.

Any ideas?

Well i hope you learned your lesson yooung man. Never neglect your Songwriter for a week or there will be no songs ! ;-)

Anyway ... I suggest rehearse like crazy tonite to get them a bit battle weary and your should be right ..

cheers.

I have found hydrogen peroxide to be an amazing skin healer for me. If you've got an open sore/scratch it'll hurt like hell but so worth it in the end. Like Euroaussie I think you're best bet is to play and toughen them up too. One thing I've really noticed is how my left hand, with the callouses, gets so much colder on the fingertips than my right hand. It just seems like the fingertips are more vulnerable when I've got callouses on them. For example, when it's cold and windy and I'm out on the farm with the giant four-legged fuzzies, my fingers on my left hand feel it first. I guess we need to protect them with more vigilence (sp?).

I know guys who soak their fingertips in alcohol - they say it toughens them up.

I have a different problem with both my right and left hand. My fingertips are so callused I have to on occasion go over them lightly with an emory board cuz if I don't they start cracking and snagging the strings.

Hmmmmm....I wonder where your fingers have been......?????

Just in time for Christmas......

Any ideas?

I think you should find a warm place to stick your fingers. I've heard some people routinely FILE their finger tips to callous them. Playing 12 string will callous the fingers very quickly. (although you will have two string grooves instead of one....lol) Actually, it is amazing how quickly one loses the tips of the fretting hand. Sorry to hear about your challenge. This has happened to me before too, and I try and use a guitar with the HIGHEST frets, since the soft finger will sink into the string a bit before it presses the string down. That way, you don't have to fret to the board to get a good sound. Good luck!!!

Any ideas?

At least in regards to dry splitting cracking skin....

I use Vitamin E oil or a good hand creme with Lanolin regularly. At night really gob it on heavy and then sleep with some soft thin cotton gloves on so it stays on your hands.

Finger tip calluses simply require playing your guitar more.... When mine get too thick or start to pull off I use a good sharp diamond fingernail file and file them down. Better that than having them peel or rip off.

All good advice. Thanks.

I guess it's God of Guitars punishing me for neglecting my work too much. Job/family hassles I'm afraid but nothing that can't be resolved.

We're having a run through tonight but we're due to play about 3 hrs tomorrow.

Played for over an hour last night and the fingertips have hardened up slightly today and the cracks are healing fast.

The gig is at my local so I don't have to drive which means I shall be consuming a few pints of the local painkiller.

May have some vid to share.

At least in regards to dry splitting cracking skin....

I use Vitamin E oil or a good hand creme with Lanolin regularly. At night really gob it on heavy and then sleep with some soft thin cotton gloves on so it stays on your hands.

This thread is starting to sound as weird as those on AGF about which false nails to buy.

This thread is starting to sound as weird as those on AGF about which false nails to buy.

I've been a collector since 1925 and have literally a dozen sets of false nails. I don't use them but that does not mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Don't buy the Gibson ones, they're crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifelong fan of Gibson but I've never used any false nails from Gibson that were worth the money. The Taylor custom shop, hand made from slithers of Elephant Ivory circa 1940 are the best and well worth $3k.

When are Gibson going to wake up and listen to their customers?

[flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper]

I've been a collector since 1925 and have literally a dozen sets of false nails. I don't use them but that does not mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Don't buy the Gibson ones, they're crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifelong fan of Gibson but I've never used any false nails from Gibson that were worth the money. The Taylor custom shop, hand made from slithers of Elephant Ivory circa 1940 are the best and well worth $3k.

When are Gibson going to wake up and listen to their customers?

[flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper]

I've heard that Gibson nails, when you find the set that speaks to you, are pretty awesome. They had some QC issues a few decades ago, but they're not all crap. (hee-hee!)

Archived