Gibson Brands Forums

Well, I'm ready

TommyK

Got the snow blower all tuned up, new belts, gassed up and ready to let fly. Drive way markers are in place. All I need is morning. There promises to be 3-6" by noon.

Woo Hoo. [woot]

I'm trying to go into this with a positive attitude. (First major snow storm of the season). [thumbup]

TommyK, I spent years in Boston, Canada, and such...18 years back or so when I moved to Portland Oregon, during my first winter there while watching TV with a former wife, they had 24 hour news coverage of a HUGE 3 inch snow storm coming, and there were reporters on the streets warning people about 4 inch 'snow drifts." Go figure.

TommyK, I spent years in Boston, Canada, and such...18 years back or so when I moved to Portland Oregon, during my first winter there while watching TV with a former wife, they had 24 hour news coverage of a HUGE 3 inch snow storm coming, and there were reporters on the streets warning people about 4 inch 'snow drifts." Go figure.

My Aunt moved from Illinois to Atlanta. The first winter she was there, they had 1" of snow. It absolutely shut the city down. No school, businesses closed down and city services were at a stand still until it burned of in the early afternoon! But, to their defense, nobody but northern transplants knew how to drive on the stuff. She went to the store. It was closed. She said that the rich neighborhoods were on top of a hill. The few who ventured off the hill skidded to the bottom and piled into the nearest stationary object.

nobody but northern transplants knew how to drive on the stuff.

This sums up driving in the snow for us southerners. Folks up north don't get it when they move down, but they often forget they get a lot more practice than folks down here. In Middle TN we might see three or four days a year with snowy roads. We mostly end up with 2 kinds of driver... those who think the only safe speed is 5mph, and those who think that there is absolutely no difference and drive like they normally do.

This is not a good mix... :unsure:

We got some snow last night. YAY! I like snow around Christmas. It will probably be gone by noon, but ita a start.

...while watching TV with a former wife, they had 24 hour news coverage of a HUGE 3 inch snow storm coming, and there were reporters on the streets warning people about 4 inch 'snow drifts." Go figure.

Its like that here in Metro D as well. If its not 65 and sunny, the news treats the weather like a national disaster.

We got some snow last night. YAY! I like snow around Christmas. It will probably be gone by noon, but ita a start.

Its like that here in Metro D as well. If its not 65 and sunny, the news treats the weather like a national disaster.

Yup. Got some snow last night. Had to brush off the truck for the 3rd time.

A couple of years ago we lost a 1/2 ton pickup on our property for a couple of months. Didn't really lose it. We knew where is was, just couldn't see it for snow. I had 4 or 5 12 foot high snowbanks that had to be at least 15 to 20 feet in depth. I was between trucks that winter and was driving a Mustang. Not the best choice for our winters.

Yup. Got some snow last night. Had to brush off the truck for the 3rd time.

A couple of years ago we lost a 1/2 ton pickup on our property for a couple of months. Didn't really lose it. We knew where is was, just couldn't see it for snow. I had 4 or 5 12 foot high snowbanks that had to be at least 15 to 20 feet in depth. I was between trucks that winter and was driving a Mustang. Not the best choice for our winters.

That reminds me of growing up in mid-Michigan during the late 70's - early 80's. Huge drifts and snowbanks. Being snowed in for three days. The depth of our snow was only about half of what you described, but it seems like a lot compared to nowadays.

That reminds me of growing up in mid-Michigan during the late 70's - early 80's. Huge drifts and snowbanks. Being snowed in for three days. The depth of our snow was only about half of what you described, but it seems like a lot compared to nowadays.

The snow banks were particularly high because I have over 300 feet of laneway and have a contractor that plows for us. The average depth around the yard was up to 5 feet.

Last year was a joke by comparison. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dave

I blew every bit of 6" off my drive. This morning, secondary roads had scattered ice patches that woke me up. [scared] Highways were clear and dry.

A number of years ago, New Orleans got snow and it was BIG news up here. A local radio station found a local man who had a son going to school down there. They called him on the air to disucss the situation. The last bit of advice the father gave his son before hanging up was to stay put. He was confident in his son's driving skills in snow, but there were too many amateurs out there to worry about. [sad]

He was confident in his son's driving skills in snow, but there were too many amateurs out there to worry about. [sad]

Thats the problem with driving in the snow; to many scared and inexperienced drivers on the road. Personally, I love driving in the snow. The deeper the better. Whiteouts on the highway are scary though.

Thats the problem with driving in the snow; to many scared and inexperienced drivers on the road. Personally, I love driving in the snow. The deeper the better. Whiteouts on the highway are scary though.

"Whiteouts" on the Highway are a common occurrence here in Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota etc.

It is not so bad to pass slower traffic i.e. State Snow Plows or Florida plated vehicles etc in the daylight, but to pass or be passed at night can be extremely hazardous. The ultimate situation for passing at night is when the experienced Truckers who know they are creating a "Whiteout" will see you coming, then check the mirrors for the direction the wind is blowing their wake of snow and then either stay in the lane they are in or move to the next lane to minimize the "Whiteout". Still not a comforting situation, but when traveling large distances at a time and being caught in bad weather you try to make it to the next town trying not to end up a statistic.

Luck? We had 8" of wet heavy snow last week, then a freezing rain...ever try to shovel a ice berg?

Haha I've dealt with it before, in Kansas we get everything short of quakes and hurricanes. Don't like the weather in Kansas? Wait 5 minutes.

Best advice on passing in blowing snow conditions? Don't.

Best advice for passing a snow plow? Don't. Why would I pass a truck when I can drive on freshly plowed and salted pavement? Just shift down a gear and enjoy the ride. I always put my blinkers on until I get two cars behind me.

Archived