Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!!!! Epi. Ace Frehley model Les Paul

sdjjadk

Hello all,

I was doing some work for an old friends lighting and sound company today and we stopped off at music store and I found a new Ace Frehley model Les Paul Custom HCSB hanging on the wall and 1 in the box so I got the one in the box. I was originally looking for an Epi. Gold Top but they seem to be hot sellers but the Ace Frehley model Les Paul was another must have as I have been a KISS fan since the 70's. Unfortunately when the Epi. Ace Les Paul's came out, I didn't have the funds and they were produced and discontinued before I ever had a chance to get one. But as luck would have it, the store I was at today ordered a big stock of them back in 2004 and sold all but 2 and now I own one! I will post pics tomorrow.

Shawn

__________________________________________________________________________________________

1987 Gibson SG Elite USA in Pearl White w/OHSC

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard HCSB Plain Top Made in China

New Old Stock 2004 Epiphone Ace Frehley Les Paul Custom HCSB Flame Maple top Made in Korea

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Vintage Silvertone 10watt practice amp

Digitech RP-90

BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive for great Blues Tones

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

VERY nice! WTG picking up the matching KISS strap as well. [thumbup]

I wonder where these have been hiding all these years? Some guitar store (or warehouse) must have has a SERIOUSLY screwed up inventory to have missed TWO of these axes!

Great find ... congrats!

Jim

omg amazing [thumbup] have fun with it! (no pun intended)

Thanks TehBeast :) I'm 38 years old but when it comes to new guitars, I feel like a kid again! I turned my wife and my kids into die hard KISS fans, so when I brought the guitar home I plugged it into my 6x12 stack, cranked it and did my best Ace Frehley impressions. LOL

Shawn

__________________________________________________________________________________________

New Old Stock 2004 Epiphone Ace Frehley Les Paul Custom HCSB Flame Maple top Made in Korea

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Digitech RP-90

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey, he stole Angus Young's fretboard.

Great looking guitar sdjjadk, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi RaSTuS how are you? Thanks for the compliment. :) This guitar is going get plenty of play time.

Shawn

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Digitech RP-90

That looks cool [thumbup] Clips ?

Greetings crust,

Thanks. I have a 10'x16' storage building that I wired, insulated and drywalled a while back so I can set up a small computer recording studio. But lately I have been taking more hours at work and taking on extra side jobs for Christmas. But after the first of the year, I'm going to get my studio finished and I will post plenty of clips.

Shawn

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Digitech RP-90

cool guitar HNGD to you [thumbup]

Thanks bigneil. :)

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Digitech RP-90

VERY nice! WTG picking up the matching KISS strap as well. [thumbup]

I wonder where these have been hiding all these years? Some guitar store (or warehouse) must have has a SERIOUSLY screwed up inventory to have missed TWO of these axes!

Great find ... congrats!

Jim

Hi Jim how are you?

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Yeah, I saw the guitar strap when I got my Plain Top and being the KISS fan that I am, it was a must have! I even got some matching picks as well.

As far as the inventory goes, I asked him how they got them since they have been discontinued for quite a few years and he said that they made a huge order for them when they were available and they just happened to have one left in the warehouse. Talk about Luck!

Shawn

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Digitech RP-90

Nice git, and HNGD

Like Jim said, good score, it's a shame they don't make enough of those.

I love the 3 pup models, especially the sound.

1000192q.jpg

Hi Tuiblue,

That's a sweet looking Blackburst you have in that pic! [thumbup]

And your right, it is a shame they didn't make more of the Ace Frehley models. But, according to an interview with Ace, the reason they don't make that particular model anymore is because Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley own the trademark rights to Ace's makeup even though Ace designed the makeup and the band logo.

I will always be a KISS fan But it seems that Gene and Paul are more about the money than anything else! Ace designed another Les Paul Custom with the Anomaly face on the headstock but there is no telling when Epiphone will make a production run.

Shawn

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Digitech RP-90

Very Cool !!! is the 3 way switching N/M-all 3-M/B ?

The switch is the Bridge pup in the treble position and the bridge and middle pup in the middle position and the neck pup in the rhythm position.

Shawn

But, according to an interview with Ace, the reason they don't make that particular model anymore is because Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley own the trademark rights to Ace's makeup even though Ace designed the makeup and the band logo.

I will always be a KISS fan But it seems that Gene and Paul are more about the money than anything else! Ace designed another Les Paul Custom with the Anomaly face on the headstock but there is no telling when Epiphone will make a production run.

I believe they made Ace and Peter sign away their rights to all that when they re-formed as the original line up. Depending on how you look at it that could be good in that you can still see Kiss in full make up today.

How do you rate Tommy Thayer as the new Space Ace? I think he's definitely a tighter player, seeming to pull of all Ace's licks and solos with much technical precision. However, not many lead guitarists can get anywhere close to Ace on sheer coolness and persona.

PS. I'm sure I've seen smoke bomb 'pickups' for sale on eBay before now.

Anyway, cracking guitar......what a find!

Alan

I believe they made Ace and Peter sign away their rights to all that when they re-formed as the original line up. Depending on how you look at it that could be good in that you can still see Kiss in full make up today.

How do you rate Tommy Thayer as the new Space Ace? I think he's definitely a tighter player, seeming to pull of all Ace's licks and solos with much technical precision. However, not many lead guitarists can get anywhere close to Ace on sheer coolness and persona.

PS. I'm sure I've seen smoke bomb 'pickups' for sale on eBay before now.

Anyway, cracking guitar......what a find!

Alan

Being a loyal KISS fan, I think the cool thing about the different lead guitarists in the KISStory time line is that they each had their own unique playing styles that complimented KISS's hard driving sound throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's and today. So to rate Tommy as the new Spaceman would be unfair as there is only one true Spaceman and that is Ace! However, Tommy is an excellent guitarist and has a cleaner playing style and he is definitely a pro showman and KISS put on a killer show when I saw them back in August and in my opinion, Tommy's playing style does give KISS a unique sound. But, Ace was responsible for that original KISS sound, legendary riffs, leads and tones and I don't think anyone could ever recreate that sound but Ace.

Hope this made sense. :)

As far as the smoke bomb packs go, one of these day's, I'd like to get a cheap used Epi Les Paul to mod into a smoker. I'd also like to see Epiphone come out with a Ace model that lights up! [thumbup]

Years ago I got a used H-S-H Ibanez RG550 that I refinished and had a new pick guard / pup mount made from red transparent lexan with only an EMG-81 bridge pup and 7 high bright and 1 flashing led's that I wired up with an inline resistor so I could use a 9v battery that was then wired to a small toggle switch for when I played New York Groove in an old cover band. Only bummer was, I had to remove the whole pick guard to replace the batteries for the led's and pup.

Shawn

Looks like I'm going to have to take my guitar back to the place of purchase! [crying]

When I got the guitar this past Saturday it came with a free setup and a my choice of strings and so I took the offer and I watched as it was being done and it turned out great.

Well, I went to play it a little bit ago and it was out of tune, so I thought okay, the new strings are going through the stretch period. So I tune it up and start playing and I notice that the notes above the 12th fret sound horrible but yet it's in tune everywhere below the 12th fret and I'm having to keep retuning it. Finally I get it to hold a tune but the tuning is still way off above the 12th so I went to check the intonation which was out quite a bit and when I went to adjust the string saddle, I noticed the splined inserts for both the tail piece and the bridge are starting to pull out and angle forward. Then on top of that, either the pup selector switch

or the neck pup has quite working. [sad] Now the good news is, the place I got the guitar at is an authorized warranty repair shop and they said that they would take care of it for me after I called them. The only down side is, it's a 2hr and 45min or more drive each way depending on traffic. ](*,) I'm going to take it back either this Wednesday or Saturday and I will update everyone on the status.

Shawn

Looks like I'm going to have to take my guitar back to the place of purchase! [crying]

When I got the guitar this past Saturday it came with a free setup and a my choice of strings and so I took the offer and I watched as it was being done and it turned out great.

Well, I went to play it a little bit ago and it was out of tune, so I thought okay, the new strings are going through the stretch period. So I tune it up and start playing and I notice that the notes above the 12th fret sound horrible but yet it's in tune everywhere below the 12th fret and I'm having to keep retuning it. Finally I get it to hold a tune but the tuning is still way off above the 12th so I went to check the intonation which was out quite a bit and when I went to adjust the string saddle, I noticed the splined inserts for both the tail piece and the bridge are starting to pull out and angle forward. Then on top of that, either the pup selector switch

or the neck pup has quite working. [sad] Now the good news is, the place I got the guitar at is an authorized warranty repair shop and they said that they would take care of it for me after I called them. The only down side is, it's a 2hr and 45min or more drive each way depending on traffic. ](*,) I'm going to take it back either this Wednesday or Saturday and I will update everyone on the status.

Shawn

Bummer, hope it works out ok.

Shawn

Hey Shawn, you may still need to take the guitar back for the pup selector issue, but the intonation issue is possibly a DIY fix.

As you know I have one of these, and the three pup configuration is the main issue.

1000199s.jpg

The ordinary space between neck and bridge is altered on these models with the third pup thrown in, and as you see in this first pic, the angle of the strings from stop bar to bridge becomes very severe as the bridge had been shifted closer to the stop bar.

1000202e.jpg

Try overwrapping your strings like so...

1000201j.jpg

Then the angle is very much relieved, those splined inserts don't have nearly the force being exerted on them with the strings at full tension, and that should help with your intonation and bad notes above the 12th fret.

Archived