Gibson Brands Forums

whats better?

WhiteSpruce

hey everyone i won a Epiphone Sheraton off of ebay and found all the info about it. Being that its from February 2003 and Made in Korea but there is also one at my local musicstore that is a newer one made from china. From everyones personal opinion what one should i go for. They are both about the same price. Korea vs China...... thanks

hey everyone i won a Epiphone Sheraton off of ebay and found all the info about it. Being that its from February 2003 and Made in Korea but there is also one at my local musicstore that is a newer one made from china. From everyones personal opinion what one should i go for. They are both about the same price. Korea vs China...... thanks

They are probably just about the same. But, I like "old" better than "new" when it comes to cool guitars (particularly if they are like new). So, I say get the MIK .

WhiteSpruce, welcome, and congratulations on your score. There have been posts here on the forum about the old Korean Sheris vs. the new Chinese ones. I have an '04 Sheraton, it's not perfect, it had some of the typical cheap guitar problems, but underneath that it's a great guitar with a very sound build, and great neck and frets. If your Korean is a good 'un, then it's probably worth keeping in preference to a MIC.

There is only one rule on the forum- if we don't see pics, it don't exist msp_biggrin.gif.

Korean, 5-piece (length wise) neck, generic body shape...good overall build, and sound.

Chinese, 3-piece (1 piece neck, with attached heel, and headstock) neck, (more)Gibson

like body shape...good overall build, and sound.

If you have access, to playing both, before you buy...that would be the "ideal."

I'd definitely play the one, in the store, and see how it feels/sounds, etc. With

E-bay, it's always a crap shoot, that way.

CB

WhiteSpruce, welcome, and congratulations on your score. There have been posts here on the forum about the old Korean Sheris vs. the new Chinese ones. I have an '04 Sheraton, it's not perfect, it had some of the typical cheap guitar problems, but underneath that it's a great guitar with a very sound build, and great neck and frets. If your Korean is a good 'un, then it's probably worth keeping in preference to a MIC.

There is only one rule on the forum- if we don't see pics, it don't exist msp_biggrin.gif.

Yea i would love to play both but i cant play the one on ebay. here is the link to the one i won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&hash=item43a3a1af68&item=290508091240&nma=true&pt=Guitar&rt=nc&si=CH0tliLlSmBXXYOYpRCYaDA00po%253D#ht_500wt_1156

If you won the eBay auction you have to buy it, you can't change your mind after the auction.

BTW: I would choose the Korean.

this is a six of one, half a dozen of the other question. However, i have heard most folk say that the Korean ones are better, personally i don't see or feel a difference between Chinese and Korean. It seems likely that when they first moved production from Korea to China there may have been some teething trouble at the new factory while they were getting their act together, which would have been addressed long ago.

I would be willing to bet, that if they now move production to another factory that, the Chinese ones would gain some Kudos points, and that the Korean ones would become Highly collectible.

There is definitely some psychology at play.

It is dangerous to generalize with guitars....

but generally speaking the Epiphones in general I have played.....

the best are the Japanese (after the USA Kalamazoo epis) then the early Korean.

When I visit guitar stores, I play a lot of newer Epis and you do find some very nice examples.....but to be truthful, none I would trade my older Epis for, yet.

I just like older guitars.

You should always take an individual guitar on its merits, and if it sings for/to you, and you dig the tone, be strong and do not give a damn whatever anyone else says or has........

Two friends of mine own Chinese made Sheratons and love them, and these guys can play a bit, and they make them sing.

I own Korean Epis but it is just important that you get guitars around you, that you really bond with.

Those you bond with, it don't matter about where, when, why, who.......all that matters is that you can get out of it what you want when you play it......

Back in the 1960s we all thought the Made in Japan guitars were crap. When production switched to Korea, those guitars from Japan started looking not to be quite as bad as we had thought. When guitars started coming out of Malaysia or wherever the guitars made in Korea started looking alot better by comparison. And so it goes and so it goes...

Archived