Gibson Brands Forums

Let's talk Amps! What Rig are you Running Through?

Andy R

In the 60's and early 70's Fender Bassman amps were used for everything. PA's, guitars, organs, pianos, and even basses. At one time they set the standard for the real working player's amp.

I love the hell outta' it,

SO MUCH Headroom, and super clean.

Thing weighs a freakin' TON.

Still needs a lil' TLC, the normal channel is a bit funky.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I'm playing with right now...

newgear3b.jpg

I haven't had it long and played through it much, but I'm really starting to like the Blackstone OD with the Class 5. I've still got my tweed Blues Jr., and since I took this pic, I've moved the Mastotron fuzz to the Blues Jr. The MXR 10 band EQ is fun to diddle with, too.

Nice setup, those Class 5s are the shiznit [thumbup]

It's not an Orange, although it is definitely orange! It's the 8 watt Uber Champ built by a friend of mine.

I built the amp cabinet and covered it in orange because I had the orange 2-12 already.

I have a demo vid if you are interested in knowing more about it...

(apologies to those who've been around here a while and have probably seen it already).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVyzUYQjzpo

That gain is a s sweet as Custard Pie with some mids that I Can't Explain.... So I called up My Woman From Tokyo and said Listen Baby we gotta head on down to a sleepy little town down around China Grove where we can see some Blue Skies. Since I Just Got Paid we went Down to The Cross Roads where The Wind Cries Mary and said Hey Joe whats that Funk? #49? msp_biggrin.gif I know I missed one or two. Sounds good man very cool. From your Avatar I thought I might be hearing some old school metal.

Andy

Mesa/Boogie Studio pre-amp into the 50/50 power-amp into two 2x12 cabinets. They are old, they are ugly, they are rack-mounted but they work for me!

Bet it sounds good though. I got one of the Boogie Stereo Simul-Class 2:Ninety power amps that I like a lot.

This is what I'm playing with right now...

newgear3b.jpg

I haven't had it long and played through it much, but I'm really starting to like the Blackstone OD with the Class 5. I've still got my tweed Blues Jr., and since I took this pic, I've moved the Mastotron fuzz to the Blues Jr. The MXR 10 band EQ is fun to diddle with, too.

Wow man I didn't even know about the class 5 so I just checked it out. I'm gonna be hunting one down soon for sure.

All home made.

Well, almost all. I have an old Fender Deluxe reverb, souped up to 50 watts, and a modified, 200 watt Fender studio bass that sounds great when fed by a Les Paul.

Primary amps are a 30 watt 1 X 12 combo, a 50 watt 2 X 12 combo, and a 120 watt stack with 2 4 X 12 cabs.

All tube.

Effects are simple. Chorus or phase shift, depending on my mood, an old Dunlop waa, and delay. Overdrive and reverb are built into the amps.

Under construction is a 700 watt solid state bass amp with a 21" speaker for the lows and 4-10's for the highs.

Working as an electronics engineer has some perks.........Rob.

I'm running a Mesa Boogie Mark IVb head into a 2x12 vertical Mesa Rectefier cab loaded with EV 12L Classics

and an old Carvin 4x12 loaded with 100watt BR12 (Eminence) speakers.

In the Mark IV's FX loop I'm running a DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate, HUSH Super C and a Sabine RT1601 tuner.

gibsonsteel001a.jpg

My current front end FX is a Pedaltrain Pro board with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus power supply.

Signal path:

Input -> Morley Little Alligator Volume -> Morley Mark Tremonti wah -> Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler ->

Korg pitchblack tuner -> Wampler Super Plextortion -> Custom "Black Label" Overdrive -> Output to amp.

pdbd001.jpg

I'm running a Mesa Boogie Mark IVb head into a 2x12 vertical Mesa Rectefier cab loaded with EV 12L Classics

and an old Carvin 4x12 loaded with 100watt BR12 (Eminence) speakers.

In the Mark IV's FX loop I'm running a DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate, HUSH Super C and a Sabine RT1601 tuner.

gibsonsteel001a.jpg

My current front end FX is a Pedaltrain Pro board with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus power supply.

Signal path:

Input -> Morley Little Alligator Volume -> Morley Mark Tremonti wah -> Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler ->

Korg pitchblack tuner -> Wampler Super Plextortion -> Custom "Black Label" Overdrive -> Output to amp.

pdbd001.jpg

Nice set-up makes me want to go crank up Judas Priest Unleashed in the East!

Silvertone 1484 through matching 2x12 cab with Jensen blue labels. My pedal board just got a clean up so I'll post pictures later, but right now it is a Polytune, FuzzFactory, OD808, pre-Dunlap Phase90, Carbon Copy, and Sole-Mate.

l_ec46f6a1ce9f87a872f1bee0947bc9f5.jpg

I'm so jealous of your amp evol.

I'm thinking of doing the "brightcap mod" to my ac30. It makes it a little less harsh in the high end and you don't have to max the tone cut or roll the treble way back.

I'm also kinda jonesing for a Tiny Terror head now. I can use my ac30 as a cab.

I'm so jealous of your amp evol.

I'm thinking of doing the "brightcap mod" to my ac30. It makes it a little less harsh in the high end and you don't have to max the tone cut or roll the treble way back.

I'm also kinda jonesing for a Tiny Terror head now. I can use my ac30 as a cab.

Thanks. I lucked out with the head. Got it back in the nineties before people realized what tone machines those old Silvertones are. Four or five years ago I was looking for a new amp because my Fender Deluxe Reverb RI just wasn't cutting it. Lucked out again and found a Silvertone 1484 head and cab. The guy at the shop agreed to separate them so I got the cab for $250 and never looked back. She is the sound I had been searching for.

My plan B was to get an AC30. I love the sound of a Vox.

Evol - That's badass. Do you still have your DR? I've read your comments about it..

Yeah I love my VOX. I'm definately glad I got it. I'm also thinkin it might be time to replace the tubes since I've had some problems with one of them.

Rob - Thats kindof a bummer I didn't really take that into consideration. It's puppy love anyways. So are you looking for an amp with a lot of clean headroom now? I was gonna suggest a Fender Pro Junior. But I thought about it and you'll have to crank it to keep up with a band and you might have problems with the amp being too overdriven for some pedals. They're still cool and cheap.

Rob - Thats kindof a bummer I didn't really take that into consideration. It's puppy love anyways. So are you looking for an amp with a lot of clean headroom now? I was gonna suggest a Fender Pro Junior. But I thought about it and you'll have to crank it to keep up with a band and you might have problems with the amp being too overdriven for some pedals. They're still cool and cheap.

Yeah Ive been eyeballin the Blues Jr for awhile. Im just waitin for cheap one to pop up on CL.

There is a guy in Cali that does Tiny T mods. He'll put an FX loop in there for $90. Lookup the Jules mod. Its suck because I have the Tiny T combo and it would probably cost me a ton to send it out there.

That Tiny T is sick but it doesn't take to pedals well.

Hmmmm.... I never had any problems with mine (the head version). I generally set the gain about noon and let pedals do the rest. Thought it sounded pretty good myself.

I have an early 70's Marshall JMP 100 watt Super lead, and a couple of 4x12 cabs. I usually use only 1, however if playing a bigger venue, I'll run 'em both. I use a Boss Me-50 in front of it, and mostly for the O/D for leads, sometimes some chorus, and the expression pedal for the wah, and volume. I would like to get a Fender Hot Rod deluxe for some twang, 'cause I just came home with a Tele the other day.

Back in the 80's I used the same Marshall set-up, and had a Laney AOR 100 watt, and another pair of Marshall 4x12's under that. I used to A-B between the Marshall and laney. Man that rig took up a lot of space on stage, it looked cool and sounded great. Back then I never played with any hearing protection, and I am lucky to still be able to hear as well as I do these days.

Biggest error I ever made was swapping the DR in the early '70s for an AIMS Dual Twelve - a 120-watt version that's about half DR and half Twin.

But the big tube combo just sits. Frankly in the winter I ain't gonna risk my aging carcass to try to move it on the ice. It does have a separate input sector designed so you can do a solo with a mike with one set of controls and separate controls for a guitar. The weakness is the sound just comes out of one place at floor level even with the tip-bar it has.

Long ago dumped the Bassman wife and I used for a Precision. Again, even then it was too heavy for fun. The Fender Leslie went about the same time for the same reason.

So I have a little cart that carries a Kustom 30-watt acoustic-electric amp, the older version with a 10-inch Celestion. On top of it is a Zoom 707II multi-effect box that adds some thickness to overcome my addiction to light gauge strings. It'll record both voice and guitar pretty decently from the line-out into a USB converter and works in a small saloon for either a solo or blues or country "thing" ensemble. A Boss Lesley emulator works well for blues too if somebody ain't gotta B3.

Just got a small PA system to do light solos. Mind you I'm doing mostly "soft" stuff so I need volume, but not blast.

Still... <grin> Some day I keep saying I'll take the big tube jobbie, pull on some tight black jeans and black Tshirt with a packa Camels or Luckies rolled into the sleeve, turn the amp up all the way and do Link Wray's "Rumble."

Yeah, I'm gray-headed, but I ain't dead yet.

m

I have an early 70's Marshall JMP 100 watt Super lead, and a couple of 4x12 cabs. I usually use only 1, however if playing a bigger venue, I'll run 'em both. I use a Boss Me-50 in front of it, and mostly for the O/D for leads, sometimes some chorus, and the expression pedal for the wah, and volume. I would like to get a Fender Hot Rod deluxe for some twang, 'cause I just came home with a Tele the other day.

Back in the 80's I used the same Marshall set-up, and had a Laney AOR 100 watt, and another pair of Marshall 4x12's under that. I used to A-B between the Marshall and laney. Man that rig took up a lot of space on stage, it looked cool and sounded great. Back then I never played with any hearing protection, and I am lucky to still be able to hear as well as I do these days.

Me too brother and if I crank my amps at all now my ears ring for days. Got the webber Mass 150 to get the cranked feel without being miserable. I bought a Laney combo sometime around 84 or 85. It was my first "good" amp then I bought a horrible Marshall Solid State " 4/10 Stack with head" From that to A Randall RG120 sometime around 87 and Marshall 100's and 50's since then. I had an early 80's JCM800 100watt I wish I would have never gotten rid of. Might try to procure one of those before too long before they get out of a reasonable price range. How early 70's is your super lead? Is it point to point or PCB board?

Andy

Biggest error I ever made was swapping the DR in the early '70s for an AIMS Dual Twelve - a 120-watt version that's about half DR and half Twin.

But the big tube combo just sits. Frankly in the winter I ain't gonna risk my aging carcass to try to move it on the ice. It does have a separate input sector designed so you can do a solo with a mike with one set of controls and separate controls for a guitar. The weakness is the sound just comes out of one place at floor level even with the tip-bar it has.

Long ago dumped the Bassman wife and I used for a Precision. Again, even then it was too heavy for fun. The Fender Leslie went about the same time for the same reason.

So I have a little cart that carries a Kustom 30-watt acoustic-electric amp, the older version with a 10-inch Celestion. On top of it is a Zoom 707II multi-effect box that adds some thickness to overcome my addiction to light gauge strings. It'll record both voice and guitar pretty decently from the line-out into a USB converter and works in a small saloon for either a solo or blues or country "thing" ensemble. A Boss Lesley emulator works well for blues too if somebody ain't gotta B3.

Just got a small PA system to do light solos. Mind you I'm doing mostly "soft" stuff so I need volume, but not blast.

Still... <grin> Some day I keep saying I'll take the big tube jobbie, pull on some tight black jeans and black Tshirt with a packa Camels or Luckies rolled into the sleeve, turn the amp up all the way and do Link Wray's "Rumble."

Yeah, I'm gray-headed, but I ain't dead yet.

m

I'd pay to see that any day! I hear you about those combos I lugged around a 76 Marshall 50 Watt 2/12 and a Blackface Twin for quite a while and they are heavy beasts.

Andy

For my band i use a Peavey Classic 30 from 1991 and at home I use a Fender Champ Silverface from 1976

When I use my Fender Champ I also use an old Marlboro Quadrasound box, to have reverb, vibrato and tremolo.

006-76.jpg

001-117.jpg

014-18.jpg

Archived