Gibson Brands Forums

I am in love with my SG std

awel

Hi Doctor,

I am in love with the cheapest and perhaps the uglyest (for many people) of my guitars, is normal or am I going slowly to madness? :)

Really, I have a Les Paul Custom Black (a real beauty), a hotrod vintage 62 stratocaster, an Ibanez S5470, and the guitar on which I am feeling the most comfortable is ... my Gibson SG std!

I have here and there that is not possible to play the blues on a SG, that the sound is too 'cold' for the blues ... bulls..t!

Now I will try to find a 61 reissue, hope to be so happy that with my 2009 std.

Ugly, I thInk not. They are just a love it or hate it guitar, that's all. And I happen to love them:) Also who told you that SGs couldn't play the blues, Eric Clapton and Derek Trucks would beg to differ. Too cold??? They must have never played one, I think other than the LP and 335, there is not a guitar with a warmer tone.

anyone that CAN'T play the Blues with an SG must either have a really crappy amp, or really crappy mind-set !!

My new Standard is considered "sub par" by some, because it has 490r/498t p'ups, PCB circuitboard electronics, and 300k volume pots.......and it's one of the "Blusiest" sounding guitars I own, warm and "throaty" on the lows and low mids, and exellent singing upper mids and screaming highs as well.

I don't have a '61 RI yet.....but it's definitely on my "gotta get it" list.

i'd perscribe ignoring the nay-sayers, and enjoying the tones you're getting....with an extended prognosis of getting the '61 and enjoying it as well. [thumbup]

As your psych doctor, I recommend the 12 step program...............12 new Gibsons a year.....[thumbup][scared][woot]eusa_clap.gif .....

Thanks Damian, I am already working on it I have seen a SG 61 in white, I love it in white [thumbup]

anyone that CAN'T play the Blues with an SG must either have a really crappy amp, or really crappy mind-set !!

My new Standard is considered "sub par" by some, because it has 490r/498t p'ups, PCB circuitboard electronics, and 300k volume pots.......and it's one of the "Blusiest" sounding guitars I own, warm and "throaty" on the lows and low mids, and exellent singing upper mids and screaming highs as well.

I don't have a '61 RI yet.....but it's definitely on my "gotta get it" list.

i'd perscribe ignoring the nay-sayers, and enjoying the tones you're getting....with an extended prognosis of getting the '61 and enjoying it as well. [thumbup]

I think the 61 will be my present for this Christmas [thumbup]

the white one, the white one, the white one!!!!

I always played a Les Paul (30 years) then discovered the SG late in life. Now I never play the Paul. It's amazing what a low profile SG's have had for the last several years. Looking back at the sixties they were used by the Stones, Beatles, Who, Black Sabbath, Allman Bros., virtually every band in San Francisco, etc. Look at the price of a mid 60's strat compared to the same vintage SG. The strat is probalbly going to go for 3X as much. Enough said!

Yeah, I'm mostly a hollowbody guy at this stage in my life...

But...

The SG is an incredibly versatile instrument for a solidbody.

The limiting factor for an SG is the player's head and skills. Period. The guitar will do about anything from Bluegrass to blues. I don't prefer it for classical but heck, you can manage a bit of Bach too.

m

I've never played a 61 reissue. But, my daughters guitar teacher sold his because he said it just didn't feel as comfortable as a standard. And last week sure enough he bought a standard.

I really have no idea what his issue was. But, he did mention that when he'd switch between his Les Paul and the SG standard it just felt right. And the 61 just felt off.

Yup.. SG, its love or hate. I have lusted after them for years and finally got my SG special when my wife said "go on play it, its a beautiful guitar" i left the music shop very happy that day!! I love the missus, she has a thing for guitars too.

Archived