Gibson Brands Forums

If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

Spiritinthesky

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there have been so many good choices on here - I especially like the Rory Gallagher call.

I'll add Mike Bloomfield to the list...he's not my first choice' date=' but I've been listening to a lot of him lately, so it's kind of fresh in my mind...very underrated and not discussed enough. [/quote']

+1

I've been listening to a lot of old Electric Flag lately also. Would have to have brother Duane back also.

I'd love to bring back Hendrix and watch him play, but in all reality I'd be waay to star struck and probably just stand there thinking "how the hell did he just do that?" the whole time.

I'd also love to bring back Kurt. Like it or not he was one of the most influential hands in one of the greatest musical movements in American history. He's also the guy that got me to pick up a guitar in the first place.

Kurt.... one of the most influential hands in one of the greatest musical movements in American history.

I'm afraid I have to politely disagree.

Influenced YOU maybe' date=' drove me away....

Made rock radio SUCK in my opinion, influenced [i']me[/i] to listen to AM talk radio and become a Rush Limbaugh fan.

Cobain did some interesting stuff, but I'm afraid I simply never did "get it" with him or Smashing Pumpkins.

Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains - yes, along with many others.

Cobain sold alot of albums thru market saturation, not because of his stellar guitar work.

He had lots of fans, so he clicked with millions of people to be sure, just not me.

I find it very ironic that the most impressive guitar work to come from Nirvana was in the hands of the drummer.

Dave Grohl did some great stuff with the first couple Foo Fighter albums.

My opinion, feel free to disagree.

Soundgarden' date=' Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains - yes, along with many others.

Cobain sold alot of albums thru market saturation, not because of his stellar guitar work.

[/quote']

I never said he was a great axe man. I'll totally agree on that one. 10 or so years back Guitar World magazine in their "100 Greatest Solos" issue put "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at 27....at the age of 14 I was more than a bit baffled by that one.

I did really love the grunge movement though. And as a beginning guitarist it was pretty great to pick up a guitar for the first time and be able to learn damn near all of my favorite band's tracks in about an hour.

I did really love the grunge movement though. And as a beginning guitarist it was pretty great to pick up a guitar for the first time and be able to learn damn near all of my favorite band's tracks in about an hour.

You just resumed his entire career man and, to the same extent, his music: something a guitar first timer would learn in an hour.

Regarding the other part... I too have seen him or his songs put very high in those guitar magazine's "best ****** of all time" things... and it just pisses me off.... most of the time they dont even mention robert fripp or andy summers but they mention cobain as #5 ou of 100 or as #27 out of 100... this is a crazy world ruled by morrons, and so the magazines are run by retards.

Okay, new twist... it's a forced choice question regarding drummers ..... You have to choose between John Bonham and Keith Moon. Both great bands that were never the same without their drummers. Both great Gibson bands too. Can you do it?

Archived