Gibson Brands Forums

NPD! My Piece Of The Pi!

Tman5293

I went to Guitar Center today intending to buy a new pedal. I also took my Squier Telecaster and Austin Starter Acoustic to trade in. They gave me $120 for the Tele and $10 for the acoustic (it was a piece of junk). So that easily covered my $80 pedal. So then I thought to myself, "what else can I get?" So I then got my self a nice polyfoam case for my new Fender Sonoran and 2 sets of strings. I ended up only paying $31 for $170 worth of gear. Great day and some awesome deals. The guy gave me 10% off on my pedal just for bringing in my old guitars!

So anyway, here she is! My new Big Muff Pi!

PC260067.jpg

Man, this holiday season you are on a roll!

Topping off yer new Sonoran with a new case, AND a Big Muff to boot.

High rollin' indeed. [thumbup]

Yes sir! Had quite a large sum of money to spend and the Big Muff was the best thing I could think of to spend it on. And because of those old guitars I had just sitting around I walked away with my wallet still intact. A good holiday season indeed! msp_thumbup.gif

I would be replying with a pun that is about pi in food terms and mathematical terms but I cant think of one right now [flapper]

The jokes roll in easier with the super expensive fuzz pedals, they always have the best names [flapper]

Congrats man! I have the Russian one, but want an American one because those really push the amp

The jokes roll in easier with the super expensive fuzz pedals, they always have the best names [flapper]

Congrats man! I have the Russian one, but want an American one because those really push the amp

Yep. I really didn't like the sound of the Russian one. Didn't sound as good as the American one.

Yes sir! Had quite a large sum of money to spend and the Big Muff was the best thing I could think of to spend it on. And because of those old guitars I had just sitting around I walked away with my wallet still intact. A good holiday season indeed! msp_thumbup.gif

Hmmm might as well get used to it as you will probably be spending most of your money on obtaining, and maintaining Big Muff Pi's for the rest of your life...msp_w00t.gif

I don't really like the wicker Muff.

I'm getting my Muff totally overhauled and it will have more output and gain but it will also clean up better. I like the Russian but the output is a problem for playing in a band and it uses some pretty crappy parts.

I want a huge boost in the output. How does one go about this?

How much does a USA made Big Muff go for these days? I have an old one with a wooden box with battery cover that I don't use much anymore...would think aboot selling it if the money was right...what should i post on Craigslist?

Well I'm not sure how much an old one would go for, but the one's being made today go for about $70, add $10 for a tone and wicker switch.

Shred.. Is it green? Sounds like you have the old Russian model.

You can get the big NY Muff for about $40 used.

Fred- I'm honestly not a crazy pedal tech guy. I told the guy what I wanted out of it and here's basically what he's gonna do...

He's gonna make it true bypass, add a scooped mids (stock)/ flat/ boosted mids switch, tune individual gain stages, completely rewire everything, replace some stuff (caps and trannies and stuff), replace pots, replace jacks (& flip them so they're not backwards), add a new LED (the eq switch fits in the hole where the original LED was) and I guarantee I'm forgetting something but whatever. He usually also installs a 9v DC jack but I told him not to because I prefer using batteries.

Basically I just told him I want more versatility, more output, thicker fuzziness, more gain, more clarity, the ability to clean up well, and replace the crappy jacks and pots and such. He said no problem that's what I'll get :D

Bummer. You had me excited there for a minute! If it's exactly like tmans you won't get much for it. You might be better off just holding on to it.

Tman you should try using some cheap super heavy duty carbon zinc batteries. It sounds a lot better than using a wall wart IMO.

Fred- if you want more output/ more wall of fuzz action throw a boost or OD in front of your Muff. I like ramming the Big Muff with my Super Hard On. If you want to mod it I'll direct you to the guy that's gonna do mine.

Archived