Gibson Brands Forums

HELP?? I am buying a Slash les Paul - why is ebay so cheap?

LoveGibson

I am looking at a lot of Slash (Appetite for Destruction) Gibson Les Pauls on ebay - a lot from America (I am in London, UK) - they seem to be selling for around $2,500 to $3,000 - do you think these are real and safe and not dodgy?

For me they seem very cheap so I am worried to buy one incase they are fake or stolen or something....?

Also, on the Gibson 'Product' page the headstock looks normal but the ones on ebay have the 'Slash Caricature' on them - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

I am looking at a lot of Slash (Appetite for Destruction) Gibson Les Pauls on ebay - a lot from America (I am in London, UK) - they seem to be selling for around $2,500 to $3,000 - do you think these are real and safe and not dodgy?

For me they seem very cheap so I am worried to buy one incase they are fake or stolen or something....?

Also, on the Gibson 'Product' page the headstock looks normal but the ones on ebay have the 'Slash Caricature' on them - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Post the link here it will get a good bit of scrutiny from everybody. Someone should be able to spot anything that seems "off" about it.

Just a guess here, but I'm guessing a fake Les Paul would be easier to find in Europe than the USA.

I mean, we don't import ANY Les Pauls since they are made here, except for used high-end collector pieces that previously went abroad.

In the UK, I could see a fake easily being passed.

Especially via the internet.

(That's the thing that STILL kills me - Americans buying a CHEAP Les Paul from a foreign country and being surprised it's a turd...)

In the UK. We have what we call 'grey imports'.

It's when a product is sold outside the UK and then brought back and sold cheaper.

Motorcycles are a prime example.

ie, Triumph mc's are made in the midlands. But you can buy one that's been exported to the USA and imported back for less than a UK one from a dealer next to the factory. Madness. That's why it's called rip off Britain.

When our Vat goes up this week. Our diesel will be £6 a gallon.

Thanks in advance!!

It's most probably the correct price.

The reason these instruments are so expensive in the UK is that the distributor will bend you over and mark up the price to ridiculous levels.

We have the same problem in Australia.

You'd have to pay an import duty and vat on those to bring them here. They'd be no cheaper than buying here. I asked 'wildwood' guitars about it. Look at their website. That have some 'slash' guitars for sale.

as above, i paid $1900 for my LP from florida and when it arrived here customs held on to it untill i paid £226 import charges [cursing]

In the UK. We have what we call 'grey imports'.

It's when a product is sold outside the UK and then brought back and sold cheaper.

Motorcycles are a prime example.

ie, Triumph mc's are made in the midlands. But you can buy one that's been exported to the USA and imported back for less than a UK one from a dealer next to the factory. Madness. That's why it's called rip off Britain.

When our Vat goes up this week. Our diesel will be £6 a gallon.

My old local music store had their friend in Germany ship over Fender Stats, Teles and Precision basses, because it was cheaper to do that and pay customs on them than it was to buy through official UK channels. He had one of each in black and one of each in white set up around a black drum kit as a window display. It looked pretty neat.

Archived