Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing up the Les Paul Studio - Tear Down to Custom Rebuild

Andy R

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys busy with multiple projects and work and figuring out new machines and tools. But I do have a few pics. As I said before after trying to do all the hand plaining I ended up with the guitar being too thin again and the back was not completely flat which would have made routing the binding channel a pain. So I decided to shave the back down ( using my drum sander this time) just past the lip of the control cavities and cutting some maple veneer to make up the difference. This will also make it easier to paint since I won't have to fill all that mahogany grain on the back.

So Not a whole bunch of pics but a little something[biggrin]

Need a flat surface to attach the guitar to so I used a piece of granite tile and some double back super sticky tape.

dec4c23c.jpg

Making some reference marks to see if I'm planing flat

0061a4fd.jpg

In she goes! Man I love this machine!

b490a164.jpg

Just enough and flat as can be!

9480981a.jpg

Now I need some maple veneer! A chance to re-saw a bookmatch on my new band saw!

5e97eaa4.jpg

After Re-saw

0a6710cb.jpg

Then a pass through the jointer

d4850c5e.jpg

I then sent them through the drum sander for final sanding but my conveyor feed belt broke in the middle of the process[cursing]

They are done now. Just need to glue them on and use a flush cut router to shape the edge and re-route the cavity cover ledge

More to come!

Andy

Looking pretty rough. Keep the top, but that back is begging for some sandpaper, man.

Uhhhh..... That's cause that pic is of the rough cut un-sanded piece before I glued it on... I haven't posted the pic of the back glued on cut to size and sanded yet....[biggrin]

Guest FarnsBarns

Great - Spammers have opinions now?

Pretty stupid, real person spammer. Search engines don't index the lounge because they can't spider it.

Updates please

Union break[flapper] I'm playing again so have to prioritize my projects. Also have a girlfriend who has barely seen me in 4 months that I wish to keep around. Patience... I work in bursts.

Andy

Here ya go Duane. My rebuild took a big turn and now I'm rebuilding a LP standard and turning it into a Bass! [woot]

03bbb682.jpg

338ae281.jpg

JUST KIDDIN' This is all photoshop.... Really.... Seriously..... [biggrin]

Archived