Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Nighthawk Custom

cjlandry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gal has a lot of other things to be pissed about, so one more guitar is going to be pretty far down her list.

FYI - I ordered one of these biatches today... I've been on the lookout for a Nighthawk/Blueshawk for years...and if I can get a new one for less than I was going to spend used, what the hell, right? And I have a 10% coupon at one of the music stores, so $360.

Only thing is that I want to put a P90 in the neck. Then it would be perfect.

I really hope I don't feel the need to replace pickups on this guitar when I get it.

I think Epiphone has good pickups, but I've still replaced most of my Epi pickups, and plan to replace those on my Dot and SG Express. I want warmer humbuckers on the Express. I can always crunch warmer pickups with a pedal.

Well, I guess we have to customize everything.

I like the humbuckers on the Dot, but I like the P-90 sound so much better.

I'll probably end up replacing the mini with a P-90.

Money money money money. MONEY!

just for those of us who like to mod. how would one replace a mini humbker and pup ring setup to a p90?. i understand you would have to re-use the pup ring, but unless you get the ebony color, the blk/crm cover for the p-90 would look off. I can say that i have not seen chrome covers for p-90 soapbar style. if they are out there. then i can see this as a very pleasing mod to the eye. and ear!!!!

Well, I guess we have to customize everything.

Ha! I agree. I love how everyone is already discussing mods for a guitar that hasn't even come out yet and no one really knows how the stock stuff sounds! In that Epi Nighthawk promo video, Jimmy Jackson pretty much said the mini humbucker was amazing.

Oh dear... Got to have one. I probably have all those tones, but to have them in one guitar? Could that possibly lead to selling off some othr guitars? (Probably not) Besides, I'm a giant and the Nighthawk looks so dinky... It would look like a toothpick in my hands...

BUT I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!

just for those of us who like to mod. how would one replace a mini humbker and pup ring setup to a p90?. i understand you would have to re-use the pup ring, but unless you get the ebony color, the blk/crm cover for the p-90 would look off. I can say that i have not seen chrome covers for p-90 soapbar style. if they are out there. then i can see this as a very pleasing mod to the eye. and ear!!!!

So if the rout in the body is the same as a Les Paul Deluxe, you don't use the ring anymore...you throw away the ring, and the whole P90 will sit where the mini (with legs) used to sit. All that will be left of the mini is four screw holes at the corners, where the ring used to be.

(But somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm just going from memory...that's why I asked above if there are any complications I'm not thinking of.)

I think the other option, if you wanted to cover up those screw holes, and you wanted chrome, is to use the dogear P90 covers, which you could get in chrome.

I guess I'm envisioning just putting in a black P90 where the mini and ring used to be. Either leave the screw holes, or just put the screws back in them.

I just really want a P90 bad. I had one of the Les Paul 50's Tributes, but I sold it.

Welp, looks like I'm gonna be waiting for the Nighthawk for sure now. The Michael Kelly I saw at the shop has been sold. Has someone been praying for Epiphone?

I light candles for them at the church. Does that count?

I envy you guys, being able to own more than one guitar... I know I have to trade in my sweet little Wilshire, it's the only way to keep WAF above freezing point. I might be able to pull off buying an acoustic as a second guitar, but that's probably the limit.

(WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor)

I'm trading pounds of flesh (Ref: 'Epi Biggest Loser Update Thread' in the Epi Lounge) for guitars with my good wife... it's kinda Shakespearean really :unsure:

When o when will the Nighthawks be available in Holland? [woot]

Hmmm... How fast can a Nighthawk fly?

How much do you have to pay in extra tax and duty to import a guitar? Out of curiosity, are there any good electric guitars being made in Europe? We tend to hear about good acoustic guitars, but I don't recall hearing anyone talk about European electric guitar companies.

Interesting... Do they tend to produce styles similar to what we see from Fender, Gibson, etc? (Strat, Tele, Les Paul shapes)

Obviously, I've heard of Hofner and Hagstrom, some of Framus, but I'm not at all familiar with any of them or the others. I suppose the only guitar of their manufacturer I can being to mind is a Hofner violin bass like McCartney played during the Beatles years.

Dennis,

If you can, check out Duesenberg's and Mayones' websites.

I had the opportunity to play one of each and I wish that I could afford a Duesenberg.

I'd say that Duesenberg's are at the level of the top range, custom shop Gibson's whilst Mayones are at the top range Ibanez lines.

By the way, Mayones have a very cool looking f-hole guitar (haven't tried it) whilst Duesenber's Les Paul look-alikes are really amazing.

Hmmm... How fast can a Nighthawk fly?

How much do you have to pay in extra tax and duty to import a guitar? Out of curiosity, are there any good electric guitars being made in Europe? We tend to hear about good acoustic guitars, but I don't recall hearing anyone talk about European electric guitar companies.

We do have some good electric guitars made in the UK .Gordon Smith makes some very good G and F style guitars .The Gordan Smith GS-1 series LP junior are very tempting and also available to your spec .they have an excellent reputation , and also Jaden Rose Guitars make some pointy types .Adam Black do cheap imports and one thats part made and assembled in the UK .Fret King have some UK made Trev Wilkingson guitars .There are Probably more .

In the UK most guitars from the US are priced matched roughly pound sterling to dollar so 300 USD =300 UKP

re the Nighthawk ,I am veering towards Amber ,not Black. [unsure]

Well, I had to cancel my Nighthawk order. Took an ambulance ride on Friday because I felt like I was having a heart attack, and I don't take chances with such things. Wasn't a heart attack, but I still have co-pays to fork over now to the hospital and EMS company. Put a little dent in my play budget for a while, not to mention the work I've missed due to illness this month.

Oh well, maybe they'll still have some available in a few months when I'm back on my feet again.

Well, I had to cancel my Nighthawk order. Took an ambulance ride on Friday because I felt like I was having a heart attack, and I don't take chances with such things. Wasn't a heart attack, but I still have co-pays to fork over now to the hospital and EMS company. Put a little dent in my play budget for a while, not to mention the work I've missed due to illness this month.

Oh well, maybe they'll still have some available in a few months when I'm back on my feet again.

That's no good CJ, is this a continuation of that bronchitis, get better soon mate.

Archived