Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul no PLEK sticker cracked knobs

ChristopherJ

Just got my new (and first) Gibson--the LP Traditional Plus in iced tea. I got it from Amazon as they had a killer no interest deal. Anyway, when I cracked open the case there was no stickers on the guitar. I've seen new from the factory guitars and they have them--specially the PLEK sticker on the PU. Also, the pickguard is lightly scratched from playing. Looks like someone thrashed on it for a few bars. Is this all normal? The Gibson cardboard shipping box looked to not have been opened. Hang tags etc were all in the storage compartment of the case. Also the knobs are all cracked. There is one that is cracked worse than the others--but all of them have cracks. I've attached a pick. I'm kinda upset about the knobs and pickguard. Could this have been a return to Gibson?

Sigh...

Christopher

post-28518-095463500 1294367835_thumb.jpg

someone probably returned it to Amazon and they decided to try to sell it to someone else...that someone being you...Return it and demand a new "factory fresh" Gibson...they should not give you any hassle..Your guitar should be perfect dude..and you should be happy.

Really think I should return it? So, are the scratches, broken knobs, and no stickers indicative of a used guitar rather than factory fresh? This is my dream guitar and something I have waited years for. I kinda wanted to be the one to pop her cherry.

Like I said, it does not appear that the Gibson branded shipping box was ever opened. Staples intact with shipping labels intact over them (from when Gibson shipped to dealer warehouse). So I take it this is not a common condition from the Gibson factory?

Christopher

Really think I should return it? So, are the scratches, broken knobs, and no stickers indicative of a used guitar rather than factory fresh? This is my dream guitar and something I have waited years for. I kinda wanted to be the one to pop her cherry.

Like I said, it does not appear that the Gibson branded shipping box was ever opened. Staples intact with shipping labels intact over them (from when Gibson shipped to dealer warehouse). So I take it this is not a common condition from the Gibson factory?

Christopher

Yeah, but you deserve a new clean fresh from gibson for the price you paid!

Just did the deed with Amazon to start the replacement process. They are out of stock on the iced tea color so I'll have to wait.

You are all right, I deserve a new fresh guitar just like I had imagined.

It does have a great smell though. Like sugar cookies!

CJ

Just did the deed with Amazon to start the replacement process. They are out of stock on the iced tea color so I'll have to wait.

CJ

ah that explains even it more...I guarantee your guitar was not "factory fresh" and was a return..It may take a while for them to get another Ice Tea in though...if they haven't given you a set date that is...Is there any other finishes you can choose from?

It sounds "used" or at least returned. That's funny about the knobs, because I have the same one - Ice Tea.

I didn't even notice there were tiney cracks in mine until someone here mentioned their's were cracked. So

I check mine. Sure enough, two of them had cracks. It's from pushing them down to hard when they were put on.

Now I have reflector knobs:

http://DSC01308.jpg

Have your tried Guitar Center? They're always having a sale and/or no interest financing. And it's

probably in stock.

They don't have another of the iced teas in stock so they want to refund me--which ends my 24 month no interest finance. I just looked closely at the case and there is some adhesive from the Canada sticker near the Gibson logo but no sticker. A definate return. They did a real good job with the shipping box though--the staples seemed to not have been replaced as if it came from Gibson that way. (Is that even possible?) I need to take a closer look at the box. Sorta makes me angry that someone either at Amazon or Gibson reboxed a return and tried to pass it off as new.

However, the guitar seems to be very nice except for the cracked knobs (I can live with the scratch guard--I would be adding my own scratches anyway). I can't find a blemish anywhere else on the guitar. Set up needs a slight tweak to the kneck (I have not wanted to touch anything). One piece body too...

I guess I am afraid of missing something that was a show stopper for the first guy who had this guitar. Frankly, if it were factory new and had the cracked knobs (and had not obviously been played) I would keep it and replace the knobs.

Sigh...

Christopher

Well, sounds like a used and returned guitar. I don't think it's possible to get a used Gibson from the factory, so somebody used it and returned it. But that is not uncommon with such big distributors as amazon, guitarcenter and crab.

Have it inspected closely - if only the cracked knobs are the problem (which is why it was returned I would suspect) and the guitar feels great - keep it and get new Gibson knobs for 25 bucks. Take it to an experienced technician for inspection and set up and explain to him the whole deal. That way you can be sure.

Otherwise - get your money and buy from local small shops - a bit more expensive but they do control the quality of their guitars and usually keep only good stock in the shops.

A 1 piece back and NO other issues I would consider keeping it. I am very anal about 'new means new', but 1 piece backs are hit or miss. Another issue is you don't know what you might get in return.

A set-up is a given, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would however check it over with a VERY sharp eye, including the electronics by removing the back plate cover.

If it would bug you AT ALL, then return it. You should be able to do better anyway at a local shop, and many offer financing too.

A 1 piece back and NO other issues I would consider keeping it. I am very anal about 'new means new', but 1 piece backs are hit or miss. Another issue is you don't know what you might get in return.

A set-up is a given, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would however check it over with a VERY sharp eye, including the electronics by removing the back plate cover.

If it would bug you AT ALL, then return it. You should be able to do better anyway at a local shop, and many offer financing too.

Not to hijack the thread or anything...but how can I tell if my Traditional has a 1 piece back? Its a Desert-Burst so back is Black.

I'd keep it. I have a few Gibson's some secondhand and some new! All have the little cracks in the knobs!

Trouble is when you pay big money for something you look for perfection and rightly so! And that makes you pickup those things you would otherwise turn a blind eye too!

No stickers! Your only gonna peel them off anyway!

How does she play?? Is she a keeper? If so keep her you will otherwise regret sending her back!

Good luck!

Regards

If you like it, less the cracked knobs/scratches, I too would consider keeping it AND working with Amazon to get a bit of a refund/discount. It's shady that they would sell you a return or otherwise damaged merchandise as "new", so you have a bit of leverage. Plus, it actually saves them time and money if you keep it. It's worth a shot!

CJ

well done, its always an emotional gamble sending stuff back when you have been waiting so long for it, you did the right thing, all the best.

Well, I spent some time today and really went through the guitar and I think it is a fine example. The finish is flawless. Very nice flame top with decent matching. It does need new knobs though. The worst one slips off the post easy and is actually crumbling. I am going to keep it and try and work with amazon on some remediation. It really is a nice guitar. Set up is very close. It needs just a bit of a tweak to the neck. I changed strings today on her and the sound is stellar.

I am quite a amazed at how loud it is unplugged. I had to turn my amp up louder than usual to drown out the acoustic sound. Much louder than my semi hollow telecaster thinline. And I thought that it was loud unplugged.

And yes, one piece back is something I wasn't counting on. I was at GC today and they had a light burst with a 3 piece back which the monkey salesman said was more common.

Now the question is, Top Hats, Reflectors, or Speed Knobs! I want to get some pointers anyway.

CJ

CJ

Think yourself lucky it wasnt plecked,waste of time!!!!

Archived