Gibson Brands Forums

will we ever find a guitar player that we all agree...

S t e v e

There's always someone somewhere who's going to say something bad about someone. And with the internet you see it all. Someone called Clapton, "Eric ' arthritis hand' Clapton". And I've read Hendrix being dissed. I'm sure y'all have too. So far, I'll go w/ Chet, even though I like others over him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, since this shouldn't be - the way the "question" was written - a popularity contest, but rather someone all could agree is a superior talent and technician.

Frankly I think Chet is probably the best known to fit this. Unfortunately as with some other "studio guitarists," a lot of folks never will know, myself included, just how versatile this guy was on the guitar.

I know too many people - myself included - who would agree that such as Hendrix was talented, but ... not a guitarist in the sense that Chet was. At least nothing I've heard of Hendrix does much for me. Hendrix "style" reeally works against him among a lotta folks I know who aren't guitarists.

On the other hand, I can't imagine any experienced guitarist of any style watching Segovia with the sound turned off on a video and not being in awe of the relaxed technique - and then turning on the sound and not being impressed with the musicianship.

The problem with guitar to me is that there are at least three entirely different concepts of playing the thing. One is as a lead solo instrument in an ensemble, one is as kinda a chording backup for another instrument or voice, and the third is a keyboard-like combination of the two.

I think that last paragraph is why it's often difficult to answer "polls" like this.

m

I don't think the question is valid though,

I cannot even pick one guitar player that I absolutely like over all others for myself much less agree with another 999 folks with all sorts of tastes and likes.

Pick your own if that makes you happy.

Does anyone on this forum restrict themselves to one favorite player?

Why would you do that?

There are just to many great players...

I'm sure that the very players that have been named on this topic have more than one guitar player they drew inspiration from.

I'm reminded of watching a Conde Rice interview when she spoke of wanting to be a concert pianist as a child and younger teen until she went to a national seminar and discovered that yeah, she was good but... there were some talents there that left her in awe.

I kinda resemble that remark. I've been able to develop some skill but when you listen to a few true "talents," you realize that willingness and ability to develop skill just isn't "there." You may be able to make money at it, but...

m

Warren Haynes - great player and works probably more than anybody out there between his work with David allen Coe, Govt Mule, Allman Brothers, His solo work, work with Derek trucks and on and on - it's a easy choice. He's the best all around player out there.

Retro

I posted this a few weeks ago, I think you will dig it;

Archived