Gibson Brands Forums

white finish + new Levi's 501 deep blue = troubles

awel

Hi,

I have played yesterday morning my SG 61 Classic White finish, I was wearing my new Levi's 501, I was sitting while playing and I play more or less one hour.

Then I saw something on the below side, first I was horrified: what the f... ,the finish is cracked ... then I look more deeper and I can see the tissue of my jeans on it! [cursing]

I have tried the gibson polish but cannot remove it, it will be there till the end of time [crying]

Perhaps Gibson should put a warning on their white guitars : warning, don't play it with a brand new deep blue Levi's!

sg61_Levis.jpg

Looks like the little metal studs on your jeans have scratched it. Your now on your journey of wear!!

Regards

No, it is not scratch, it is juste the mark of my jeans tissue

With a white guitar you can only play naked or in a unbleached natural cotton robe if others are present.

More seriously everything marks white guitars cases, clothes, stands, sunlight, cigarette smoke the list is endless just like everything scratches black guitars it's just best to not worry and enjoy the guitar. Anyway the prettiest white guitars are old stain and scratched ones that have yellowed with age into the light carmael yellow that only comes with age (or chain smoking) so enjoy it because it's gonna get worse.

With a white guitar you can only play naked or in a unbleached natural cotton robe if others are present.

More seriously everything marks white guitars cases, clothes, stands, sunlight, cigarette smoke the list is endless just like everything scratches black guitars it's just best to not worry and enjoy the guitar. Anyway the prettiest white guitars are old stain and scratched ones that have yellowed with age into the light carmael yellow that only comes with age (or chain smoking) so enjoy it because it's gonna get worse.

[thumbup]

We await the song: " SG 501 Blues ", with a killer slide lead.......[thumbup]

Good title for a blues, I steals you the copyright, but don't be afraid, before I will be able to play a killer slide solo, I will have 69 years old [flapper]

Looks like the little metal studs on your jeans have scratched it. Your now on your journey of wear!!

Regards

Have to agree with the metal studs scenario. Denim isn't that abrasive, even when new.

Have to agree with the metal studs scenario. Denim isn't that abrasive, even when new.

not easy to see on a picture but believe me I know what a scratch is but this is not.

I can really see the mesh fabric of my jeans, it was like you put some ink on your jeans and press it on any plane surface, you will have drawing of the tissues on this surface, this is how it looks on my sg.

I know what you're saying about it not being a scratch. I have porcelain tile on some areas of my house. When the piano has to get moved, the casters on the piano leave a mark on the tile, not scratched but a line on it. We use distilled vinegar and a paper towel to rub the area and remove it.

I know what you're saying about it not being a scratch. I have porcelain tile on some areas of my house. When the piano has to get moved, the casters on the piano leave a mark on the tile, not scratched but a line on it. We use distilled vinegar and a paper towel to rub the area and remove it.

do you think that I can try this without damaging the finish?

Vinegar is an acid......would be safe for poly finishes, but you have Nitro.....so NO! The pic makes me think it is checking of the finish, like the guitar was cold and your leg was warm and the finish gave way due to the quick change in temperatures. I wouldn't think denim could do this, I would more expect it to have dyed your guitar blue! Go to an auto store and buy 3M scratch and swirl remover....it's like a white paste that goes on like a wax. Rub it on the area with a cotton rag using a lot of elbow grease, then polish away the residue to a new, glossy shine!

Vinegar is an acid......would be safe for poly finishes, but you have Nitro.....so NO! The pic makes me think it is checking of the finish, like the guitar was cold and your leg was warm and the finish gave way due to the quick change in temperatures. I wouldn't think denim could do this, I would more expect it to have dyed your guitar blue! Go to an auto store and buy 3M scratch and swirl remover....it's like a white paste that goes on like a wax. Rub it on the area with a cotton rag using a lot of elbow grease, then polish away the residue to a new, glossy shine!

This our McGuires maybe even some plain white rubbing compound. Depends on how deep it is stained. Were your Jeans damp? It's also true what they said about white guitars. In the end you end up with a mellow yellow guitar here's an example of my 92 Snow White Les Paul.

209014ad.jpg

The brutal reality of life with a white Gibson.

Sorry dude. Hopefully Gibson supplied you with a white lined case (yes, case linings have been a problem too).

You could try Virtuoso Cleaner on it. Safe for nitro, might help.

If you're reallly adventurous, as Andy R says - 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (test it on the nitro on the inside of your back cavity.

Thanks, I think I will have to live with it, I think that I risk to do worst than better if I try to remove it, and as you said, that's make a living guitar with an history and in the end in 5 years she will probably have more scars than that :)

Archived