Gibson Brands Forums

Filling in small neck dings

bluewaterpig

Superglue will work great, but if you make a mess you are in trouble. I think a drop-fill with clear lacquer would be easier to do right. Lacquer dissolves lacquer, so the drops will eventually melt right in with the finish. A light ( and I mean light ) sanding and buff and polish and the repair should be invisible!

Superglue will work great, but if you make a mess you are in trouble. I think a drop-fill with clear lacquer would be easier to do right. Lacquer dissolves lacquer, so the drops will eventually melt right in with the finish. A light ( and I mean light ) sanding and buff and polish and the repair should be invisible!

x2 on the drop filling with clear Lacquer, superglue works better for chips in Poly.

+1 on the drop-fill. That's probably the best way to fix lacquer dings. Check out these before and after pics of my LP Special. -The previous owner used one of those cheap stands with the rubber tubing. Doh! My buddy fixed the neck for me by drop-filling the lacquer.

Before:

image004.jpg

In the middle:

image005.jpg

After:

0010.jpg

Looks like stand damage, what happened there. Here I copy and paste from our FAQ's "What is stand damage?"

Stand damage occurs when the chemicals in the rubber used on guitar stands react with the nitrocellulose lacquer used to finish our instruments. It can range from a slight discoloration to the finish to actually "eating away" the lacquer topcoat. Unfortunately, this situation is not covered under your warranty. The safest way to prevent this from happening is to cover the rubber parts of your stand with a soft cotton cloth (use guitar polishing cloths). Guitar stands should only be used to 'temporarily' store your instrument, such as on a gig. The safest place to store your instrument is in its case.

Looks like stand damage, what happened there...

That's exactly what happened. The guy that owned the guitar before me gigged with it, and basically beat the crap out of the poor LP Special. When I got it, it was in ugly shape. I always cringe when I see someone post a pic of their Lester, SG, V, etc. and it's sitting on one of those stands!

oh trust me I'm a huge huge advocate of reliced guitars. the reason I want to fix this is because it's on the back of the neck and it can be distracting when I'm playing.

so what exactly is drop fill? can I just go to home depot and ask for drop fill without sounding like an idiot?

thanks everybody for the great advice .

What drop filling means is you take some clear nitrocellouse lacquer paint and dab it in the imperfection (ding, dent, etc) layer by layer until it's level and then lightly sand with fine (2000 grit or finer) sandpaper and polish with rubbing compound. Super glue works better for drop filling on poly finished guitars.

I have one or two very small dings on the back of my 335 neck. I was wondering what the best filler material would be to match the sort of glossy finish that the back of the neck has.

leave it as it is...battle scars are a turn on [biggrin]

What drop filling means is you take some clear nitrocellouse lacquer paint and dab it in the imperfection (ding, dent, etc) layer by layer until it's level and then lightly sand with fine (2000 grit or finer) sandpaper and polish with rubbing compound. Super glue works better for drop filling on poly finished guitars.

I'm not too sure of what the finish on the back of my 333 is. It's glossy but not too glossy. Here's a pic:

post-27654-027530400 1295323594_thumb.jpg

So let's say I use super glue/nitro lacquer, this ding is so small that I'm pretty sure one dab with my finger would fill it. I don't think I would even be able to add layers because it's so small. Does this work?

Alright so this isn't working out too well for me.

I applied some polyurethane finish to the mark by dabbing a small amount on it with my finger. I waited a few hours for it to dry. Naturally, it wasn't too smooth and I started to wet sand with my extra fine sand paper (600 extra fine grit).

I feel like I'm ruining the finish on the back of my neck because I can see exactly where I've sanded. I'm trying to sand just the applied spots. I know I should be sanding a bigger area to get it all uniformly smooth but again, I feel like I'm ruining the finish.

Any tips?

Archived