Gibson Brands Forums

i DO NOT like jimi hendrix...

S t e v e

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. As I wrote in my previous post, I don't agree with the OP either, but that doesn't make his statement a "BS comment" or "coffin kicking".

I've heard a lot of people claim that certain stars got a "bonus" for dying young: Kurt Cobain, James Dean, Janis Joplin, etc. In some cases it may be true. I personally think Hendrix was a very talented individual, but I'm not dogmatic enough to call people who think differently "losers", and I wouldn't call their opinions "BS". That's wrong from every "standpoint".

And in the end, if everyone were to think the same thing, there would be nothing to discuss. It's just a pity that not everyone can keep things at an objective level.

after 20 mins reading through this thread...finally someone with a brain comes along [thumbup]

I'm listening...

Saw Buddy at a taping for a Yahoo thing - he talked for a while, and sounded more than a little bitter about the idea that he (Guy) was doing things with guitar (loudness, distortion, feedback, etc) at the same time, but couldn't get similar notice... but at the end of his rant, he acknowledged that the landscape was changed because of the way things were at the time.

I've seen Buddy play some real nice tributes to those who he felt changed his world - Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, etal.

The whole idea that folks who like "this" player better than "that" player - and feel the need to declare that there is something wrong with disagreement, to me, seems just a little odd in that I can't remember where it is written that we all should be in lock-step as regards our enjoyment of anyone's music.

I don't feel that I'm a credible judge as to whether or not a Hendrix has a talent equal to a Segovia or a Kottke - but at that, I don't really think Hendrix' technical skill ever even approached the level of what I've heard from them. But that's never been an issue for me, either.

For me it doesn't matter. There are many "revered" rock icons that I personally think sound like cats f'ing, but I can at least acknowledge that what they did was influential in a net-good way.

I like what I like, you might have a different playlist.

So what?

The OP said he found Hendrix "boring" and is "famous because he is dead" (this from a guy who worships Gary Moore). If that doesn't invite comment and disagreement, I don't know what does. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when it is presented on a public forum, it does beg for commentary. My question is how does the OP know when someone with a brain makes a post? [woot]

The OP said he found Hendrix "boring" and is famous because he is dead (this from a guy who worships Gary Moore). If that doesn't invite comment and disagreement, I don't know what does. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when it is presented on a public forum, it does beg for commentary. My question is how does the OP know when someone with a brain makes a post? [woot]

well it isn't you for sure.

Ok here's the deal as I see it.

Everyone slowly reach into your pants and pull those panties out of the bunch that they are in. :) Doesn't that feel better? [flapper]

One of the main arguments here is "Look what he did for the electric guitar"...I agree..he did a lot. History doesn't = aural pleasure. The other one is "...you have to look at him in the context of his time"....no you don't. If you're listening to him now, you either like it or you don't.

I like Hendrix's playing but his singing bugs me...i have a few Hendrix albums and I never...i mean NEVER play them. If he was an instrumental act, he would likely have a hell of a lot more plays with me. That's just me...and for the record, I'm cool with those who DO like his singing. I'm not bashing the chap at all...just letting you know that his music has never "hit" me....you can't control that and you can't point to logic in order to change someone's mind.

I think a lot of the attacks on Steve are a bit out of line...even when its known that he knew the thread would be a bunch of bashing on him. Some crticism is ok and warranted based on the OP...but some of the personal attacks are a little childish.

You don't like hockey? You're an idiot and you have no credibility with me! Sounds pretty silly right?

We all know Steve likes to stick a certain guitarist down our throats...and we've heard a lot aboot that in this thread. But this thread is not about that guitarist....and this thread is not about Steve. This thread is about Jimi Hendrix.

You can put Steve on your ignore list, or not click on his links...but if thats what you want to do, go ahead and be done with it. I have read the same post over and over in this thread. So yeah...like any other thread about Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, SRV, Buckethead, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler etc, not everyone agrees and it shouldn't make a difference whether everyone else likes them as well.

At the risk of using a VERY overused line....opinions are like assholes and everyone has one. Try to internalize your rage when you read one that doesn't fit with yours.

Ok here's the deal as I see it.

Everyone slowly reach into your pants and pull those panties out of the bunch that they are in. :) Doesn't that feel better? [flapper]

One of the main arguments here is "Look what he did for the electric guitar"...I agree..he did a lot. History doesn't = aural pleasure. The other one is "...you have to look at him in the context of his time"....no you don't. If you're listening to him now, you either like it or you don't.

I like Hendrix's playing but his singing bugs me...i have a few Hendrix albums and I never...i mean NEVER play them. If he was an instrumental act, he would likely have a hell of a lot more plays with me. That's just me...and for the record, I'm cool with those who DO like his singing. I'm not bashing the chap at all...just letting you know that his music has never "hit" me....you can't control that and you can't point to logic in order to change someone's mind.

I think a lot of the attacks on Steve are a bit out of line...even when its known that he knew the thread would be a bunch of bashing on him. Some crticism is ok and warranted based on the OP...but some of the personal attacks are a little childish.

You don't like hockey? You're an idiot and you have no credibility with me! Sounds pretty silly right?

We all know Steve likes to stick a certain guitarist down our throats...and we've heard a lot aboot that in this thread. But this thread is not about that guitarist....and this thread is not about Steve. This thread is about Jimi Hendrix.

You can put Steve on your ignore list, or not click on his links...but if thats what you want to do, go ahead and be done with it. I have read the same post over and over in this thread. So yeah...like any other thread about Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, SRV, Buckethead, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler etc, not everyone agrees and it shouldn't make a difference whether everyone else likes them as well.

At the risk of using a VERY overused line....opinions are like assholes and everyone has one. Try to internalize your rage when you read one that doesn't fit with yours.

just when i'd lost all hope [thumbup]

Sorry Shred, but people's personal opinion about an artist has no bearing on whether an artist is considered "good" or "significant." To appreciate the objective "goodness" or significance of an artist, he MUST be considered within the framework of the times that his work was created and in the context of the work of others of that period. Yeah, I may like an artist that you don't. Does your not liking him make him bad? No way. Does your liking him make him good?... 'fraid not. From a personal standpoint, it's like hanging art in your living room and like my mother-in-law says, "It's good if you like it."

And if the OP can't take the heat that he caused, he needs to get outta the kitchen. Panties unwadded...

Hendrix has been my primary influence, and is the main reason I started playing guitar. My dad is a big fan, and it's what I grew up listening to, even though I'm only 27 and wasn't even a thought during his hayday. Anyway, as far as you not liking him, doesn't bother me at all. To each his/her own. I do at least hope you respect the impact that he had on rock music, and a large number of musicians.

Yeah, I may like an artist that you don't. Does your not liking him make him bad? No way. Does your liking him make him good?... 'fraid not.

Don't be sorry bud! I agree with what you say above...but when someone says "bad"...do you think you can do/say anything to change their mind? Everyone did exactly what Steve knew they would do when he posted the OP.

"Good" and "bad" are just terms to express opinions....same with "awesome" and "sucks". I am of the mind that you simply accept people's opinions about art...you don't have to agree.

P.S. Bill - your pic no worky!

Hey Steve,

I think you touched a nerve here on a few folks.

No matter. You are entitled to your opinion as are others.

Opinions are like A holes. Everybody has one.

No harm in my book.

If I don't care for someones written opinion, I just won't read it.

Hopefully everyone will lighten up a bit and move on.

Great weekend everyone.

Dave

... Everyone did exactly what Steve knew they would do when he posted the OP.

I know I should let this die, so here's my last comment. I knew what Steve was doing when he first posted, but he and I both got caught up in the thread because of the way it developed. I shoulda left it alone, but I couldn't. :rolleyes:[cool]

In the end, who cares?

over 100 replys nat so clearly people care [rolleyes]

as the people with brains on here have said, disagreeing with someone is one thing but name calling and personal insults are another.

people disagree with my hendrix comments but still they post in my thread so clearly they care, i don't like him...99% of you do...thank you all for your time and attention on this matter i now feel i know some of you better than before and it will keep me in good stead for the future.

peace B)

Okay... I'm baaaaaack. <chortle>

Yes, I truly believe that Hendrix is famous because of right time/right place. And yes, ditto Segovia and Picasso. Van Gogh is a perfect example, perhaps, of wrong time, wrong place.

We're not talking talent here, not even "style," but "fame." Talent and style play a role, obviously, but for fame? For consideration of artistic "sainthood?" Naaah. That's time and place and also perceptions of audiences - then of audiences of later generations as filtered through perceptions of the earlier audiences.

Actually I don't think Kottke is necessarily any kind of guitar "god," but I think he's quite good, far, far more talented and skilled than I am, and that he's an entertainer whom I enjoy spending time listening to more than many others.

Chet Atkins? Again, time and place but awfully creative in many rather than one music genre; also as a producer and businessman. I'm somewhat in awe of Chet as a person who seemed to be, to himself even more than others, as a fairly happy and relatively successful human being.

Now if somebody spoke of me more or less as I just spoke of Leo, I'd be just happy as I could be as an entertainer - especially were I able to make a buck.

In a parallel thread I wrote of "poetic criticism" of T.S. Eliot that I truly agree with: That the best art comes not from the emotion of the moment, but on reflection of that emotion that also allows a different sort of craftsmanship.

That latter is why I'll listen to BB and Segovia and tongue-in-cheek Kottke and many others in preference over other artists...

m

Archived