Gibson Brands Forums

i DO NOT like jimi hendrix...

S t e v e

about a year ago i posted a thread similar to this and got flamed for it [biggrin], now we have new members on here i thought i'd get there opinion on "my" opinion...

jimi hendrix guitar playing does absolutly nothing for me, i don't like it and i have no albums/cd's of his...he's boring imo.

i get flamed for saying steve vai and gary moore are two of the greatest guitar playing talents that god ever looked down on...and yet as a guitar player i'm "expected" to worship jimi hendrix because it's the "norm" like a default setting in guitar playing world.

maybe if rory gallagher had of died before hendrix then he would be the default "guitar god"?...i swear hendrix is only famous because he's dead.

p.s no one played a strat like rory R.I.P. :(

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was different back then, there was really no one else like him.

Its like normal for us now adays...but it was completely game back then.

Whats the point of this thread? Your just doing what the people who worship Hendrix do, your trying to say Gary Moree are the best guitar plays on earth, when in truth there is no such thing as the "best".

My personal tastes in guitar players will vary. Six months ago I wasn't a Clapton fan, now I am and I think he's great. I've thought Jimi was great for a long time since I heard his all along the watchtower cover. There is no greatest but there are a lot of greats!

It was different back then, there was really no one else like him.

Its like normal for us now adays...but it was completely game back then.

Whats the point of this thread? Your just doing what the people who worship Hendrix do, your trying to say Gary Moree are the best guitar plays on earth, when in truth there is no such thing as the "best".

people might say i try to ram moore down there throat as the "greatest" when all the time hendrix is being rammed down our throats as the be all and end all...

people might say i try to ram moore down there throat as the "greatest" when all the time Hendrix is being rammed down our throats as the be all and end all...

Because hes such a good player, i dont believe in the greatest ever but hes still one of the greats.

Moore isnt really considered one of the greats, hes underrated but his style isnt really rare or that much unique. You love him yes, but the guitar masses? Not so much

Yeah, Theres a lot of individuals or bands who are held in high esteem for various reasons that i just cant enjoy or get excited about. When i first joined the forums I made a wise crack about the beatles and lennon and got torn to shreds. Bottom line is that we will never all fully agree on what we like or who we think is great. However heres a wee list of folk i have little or no interest in

Beatles, but i did like Johns solo stuff and hey jude

hendrix

elvis

bruce springsteen

elton john, but a great pianist

shania twain

and that manky screeching old bag that is celine dione

This kind of reminds me of an old saying "who are you trying to convince? Me or you?"

The amount of times "proof" has been posted here I'm not sure who's trying to convince who.

i don't like hendrix, i started a thread about it, i want peoples opinions, do they or don't they?...lets discuss...no "proof" needed.

i don't like hendrix, i started a thread about it, i want peoples opinions, do they or don't they?...lets discuss...no "proof" needed.

No, steve I meant you spend a lot of your forum time trying to convince us that Moore is the best. If you believe it and it's good enough for you than great. If you're constantly telling everyone it seems like you don't believe it yourself deep down, that's just my own opinion though.

Sorry, I like Hendrix. "Best" in playing an instrument is highly subjective and there will never be complete agreement over it. Ever. There are many players I love to hear but I don't try to shove them down everyone's throats every day Steve. If you could consolidate all the GM threads into one, and all your BFMV threads into one I could click anything else you post without having to worry if I'm going to hear about those two.

My favorite Hendrix recording is called "Live at Winterland."

Obviously I did not see him live, but i get the impression that to truly appreciate him you had to.

In my opinion he was at his best playing other people's music, particularly electric blues. (Red House, Killing Floor, etc.)

... i swear hendrix is only famous because he's dead. ...

Wow.

It's obvious you don't do much reading about guitar players.

Of course you've got your opinion that you don't like his playing - that's just fine.

Regardless of my opinion of his music, or anyone elses, that statement above is . . . . tasteless, ignorant, troll bait.

And that's why you rub people the wrong way with this BS.

<Now . . . . my standard answer to any meaningless Steve-josh-lay Gary Moore topic>

Mr. Moore is okay.

I'm not a fan, but I would listen to his music if it was playing.

I'm definitely not a rabid evangelistic fan, spending countless hours trying to convert everyone in the world into Gary Moore lovers - Steve

Give everyone here a break and take your message door to door like a Jehovah's Witness . . [flapper]

Not to slam you Steve, but IMHO, you have the musical tastes of a 14 year old kid, so it doesn't surprise me that you don't like Hendrix.

When I think of Hendrix, I don't think of Voodoo Child, or Purple Haze, etc. I think of a man that pioneered heavy rock as we know it today.

Nobody, and I mean nobody will ever have the approach to the electric guitar that Hendrix had. There is an undefinable beauty to how he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2WdcW0ZY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDDNwMViyA

i think you should look at guitar players as individuals and not try to classify who is better or best, every guitar player mentioned on this thread are or were outstanding at what they do or did...music is an individual choice..so you don't like jimi hendrix big deal, i'm sure the many hendrix fans here will be absolutely gutted..i think his version of star spangled banner is not to my taste but his version of all along the watchtower is...if anyone is interested..

Archived