Gibson Brands Forums

Let's talk about Buffalo Springfield.

Sancho Panza

So, I recently decided to check them out some more, I had already heard (like everbody else in this world) "For What It's Worth", and I was really suprised, in a positive way. I don't know if I would say that they are underated, but the first album is a keeper for anyone who can locate it (on vinyl of course).

Does everyone here agree with me on this or am I the only sane man?

PS. I truly, truly, envy those who saw them live.

I'm a long-time fan. Got into them as a teenager after hearing Neil Young and wanting to check out his previous work.

Quite by chance I recently picked up a copy of 'Buffalo Springfield - Again' on CD. Great stuff.

P.

I'm a long-time fan. Got into them as a teenager after hearing Neil Young and wanting to check out his previous work.

Quite by chance I recently picked up a copy of 'Buffalo Springfield - Again' on CD. Great stuff.

P.

Really? Amazing stuff - I hope! Will visit a record fair this weekend and I am hoping to find a copy of that album, it's the only album I haven't heard. Some say that Again is their best piece of work, other say the first. I think that I have to judge for myself :D

Buffalo Springfield has been in my collection since before I could remember. Around the age of 5 My brother and I got the portable record player and a stack of wax when my parents upgraded to a real nice system, Buffalo Springfield Retrospective was among them. I've had in on vinyl, 8-track, Tape, and CD.

Mr. Soul and Broken Arrow have always been my favorites, and of course "For What It's Worth".

Buffalo Springfield has certainly secured it's place in R&R history as a spawning ground ground for what would become a few Supergroups, and/or Superstars, but in itself was a great band. Even without the future R&R contributions of it's more famous members, I believe Buffalo Springfield would be remembered on their own merit.

The Stills/Young connection is well known to most, but let's not forget Richie Furay, who put the band together in the first place. Also joining the band in it's later era (to fulfill and complete their recording contract, so the band could breakup the members could "legally" move-on), were a couple of unknowns named Rusty Young and Jim Messina. Richie Furay, Rusty Young and Jim Messina went on the form the country rock band Poco, which certainly didn't have the "commercial" success of the Stills/Young projects, but were "critically acclaimed" in their own right, and were the predecessors in sound AND personnel to a little band called the Eagles. And of course Jim Messina's later association with a young songwriter named Kenny Loggins produced one of the Supergroups of the 70's.

A few years ago my wife and I got to spend an evening backstage (and front row for the show) at a 40th reunion Poco concert, hanging out with Richie Furay, Jim Messina, Rusty Young, and Paul Cotton (previously from Illinois Speed Press before replacing Messina in Poco). What a great bunch of guys. You could just feel the R&R history among those guys. Richie, Jim and Paul were very gracious with their time, and some of the conversation I had with those guys will stay with me forever.

Other members of the "Springfield" also went on to make (and had ALREADY made) significant musical contributions to R&R such as Chris Hillman (previously with the Byrds), and others. I've always wanted to do a family tree of Springfield members, in which you would find connections to a bunch of the greatest Rock & Roll groups of the 60's and 70's. It would be a very interesting chart.

All right..... I first met them at a place called "The Arc" in Sausalitio, (across the GG Bridge from SF).

It was a little bar/restaurant, and we, (our singer, drummer and I), were the only people in the place.

I suspect they were "working some stuff out" for their show).

All nice guys, and we got along great.

Later on, we did a show with them.

One of my favorite bands from the 60's.

As was normal for the 60's.... I simply don't recall doing this show:

PWBMBuffaloSpringfiledPoster.jpg?t=1295621767

One of our local stations has been playing Rock and Roll Woman on a regular basis. I always crank it up when it comes on. I had completely forgot about that song!!

Yes, that one was penned by Stephen Stills when with Buffalo Springfield, along with "Bluebird". Some great guitar work in both songs. I also love Neal Young's

"Mr. Soul". I'm sure the guitar work in that paved the way to the intertwined guitar sound Stephen and Neil had in CSN&Y along with David Crosby.

The later group, 'POCO' was without a doubt the best live band I ever saw, Rusty Young on pedal steel guitar completely blew us away. we were at an all day concert in minneapolis in the early 70's and they were right after its a beautiful day (great group 1 album), and just before the Alman Brothers. Alman brothers were almost a let down after POCO, 75,000 people really rocked with them. I have their 1st 2 vinyl albums, Picking up the Pieces and POCO, they are still recording today, just have not heard much out of them, Rusty Young is the anchor of the group since Furay and Messina came back, left came back and left again in the 90's. What a great group 69-70 though.

L5Larry - you mentioned doing a chart of Buffalo Springfield to see where it takes you, there are 2 other groups that I know of, I am sure there a few more, that have a similar impact on R&R history. That would be the Yardbirds and Ten Years After, I too have thought about doing a breakdown on the members of each group and how each group affected music direction etc. And then the same for each subsequent group or solo artist, make very interesting reading.

Buffalo Springfield was one of the best bands to come out of the 60's. If you need proof just look at the many great acts they spun off...CSN&Y, Poco, Jim Messina (Loggins and Messina) and the Souther-Hillman-Furay Band...

I have seen Buffalo Springfield, Loco and CSN&Y all great acts..

Great album and group. I actually wore out my first LP and went out and purchased a second one back when it was released. I still have that LP in my collection, and I purchased it on cd. It's one of those rare albums that has no bad songs on it.

Also, have to check out Poco; have only heard good stuff about them.

It's kind of funny, and sad, that as big as the names were in the band Poco, they were "commercially" unsuccessful, and only regionally marketable. It seems their fan base was/is either in SoCal or the Midwest. I have a friend that grew up on the east coast that never even heard of them. I'm a "Poconut" from way back, and always found it disappointing that they were not more popular and successful, and in fact Rusty Young is somewhat bitter about the status and success of the Eagles versus Poco.

I was at another "meet & greet" with the touring edition of Poco when someone asked Rusty if he had seen Timothy B. Schmidt lately. His response was "I can't afford the ticket".

It's kind of funny, and sad, that as big as the names were in the band Poco, they were "commercially" unsuccessful, and only regionally marketable. It seems their fan base was/is either in SoCal or the Midwest. I have a friend that grew up on the east coast that never even heard of them. I'm a "Poconut" from way back, and always found it disappointing that they were not more popular and successful, and in fact Rusty Young is somewhat bitter about the status and success of the Eagles versus Poco.

I was at another "meet & greet" with the touring edition of Poco when someone asked Rusty if he had seen Timothy B. Schmidt lately. His response was "I can't afford the ticket".

The original POCO had such a great sound, right from the first time you heard them, you either were hooked or I guess ignored it. I still play the 1st album now and then.

Archived