Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone listen to Indie Rock?

Silenced Fred

Yeah, a lot of people are going to go "WTF is indie rock?" but then this thread probably isn't for you.

I worked with my drummer today and we worked on some songs, and the two new songs that we did pretty much sounded like straight up indie rock.

Any fans? Any good bands I should listen to? Don't listen to it a whole lot, but the songs turned out sweet [thumbup]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes let's define 'indie rock.'

As I understand, it's similar to '****** bag' in that you know it when you see it but you can't define it. So what DO you mean when you say 'indie rock?'

[edit]Nobody called it Indie Rock in the 90's.[edit]

what does it mean today?

Indie rock is a tough one it's almost as vague as saying Metal or southern Rock.

Depending on what your definition is I listen to it allot including, some of our best covers that come out of this genre - good writing easy to change up and most people don't know the songs well if at all.

Sufjan Stevens

The Killers

The Dollyrots

Jack Johnson

Libertines

All American Rejects

Cat Power

The Ettes

Flaming Lips

Fink

Von Bondies

The Darkness

Or you can head to the Indie Pop side and go with

Morrissey

Maria Taylor

Kings of Convenience

Death Cab for Cutie

Teitur

Indie rock is a tough one it's almost as vague as saying Metal or southern Rock.

Depending on what your definition is I listen to it allot including, some of our best covers come out of this genre - good writing easy to change up and most people don't know he song well if at all.

Yeah, its hard to define because before it was really just lo fi bands that didn't have much cash and didn't get much notoriety. Now, a lot of people cling to the name to try and get to hipsters, or so it seems.

I'll try and get some recordings up tomorrow ( can't record anything now because my parents are asleep)

'Indie Rock' is a retroactive label. Nobody called Sonic Youth or Pavement 'indie rock' in the 90's. It was 'noise' or maaaaybe 'alternative' (which was also a corporate moniker0. Now this concept of 'indie rock' seems to be used by itunes to sell songs. Is it still 'indie?' Many corporate-label acts like Vampire Weekend are called 'indie rock,' so it must not be a matter of 'underground'-ness. So then, what characterizes the style?

'Indie Rock' is a retroactive label. Nobody called Sonic Youth or Pavement 'indie rock' in the 90's. It was 'noise' or maaaaybe 'alternative' (which was also a corporate moniker0. Now this concept of 'indie rock' seems to be used by itunes to sell songs. Is it still 'indie?' Many corporate-label acts like Vampire Weekend are called 'indie rock,' so it must not be a matter of 'underground'-ness. So then, what characterizes the style?

If you don't get it, then you don't get it. Didn't make this thread to start an argument.

its a genre, if you go on google and type in "list of indie bands" a whole wikipedia page lists a ton of them.

I was just asking if anyone listens to them, and if they have any suggestions for other good indie bands

jesus christ...

from itunes like Fred demonstrates:

20: Alternative

1001: College Rock

1002: Goth Rock

1003: Grunge

1004: Indie Rock

1005: New Wave

1006: Punk

21: Rock

1144: Adult Alternative

1145: American Trad Rock

1146: Arena Rock

1147: Blues-Rock

1148: British Invasion

1149: Death Metal/Black Metal

1150: Glam Rock

1151: Hair Metal

1152: Hard Rock

1153: Heavy Metal

1154: Jam Bands

1155: Prog-Rock/Art Rock

1156: Psychedelic

1157: Rock & Roll

1158: Rockabilly

1159: Roots Rock

1160: Singer/Songwriter

1161: Southern Rock

1162: Surf

1163: Tex-Mex

...so death metal is maintream rock, and college rock is alternative. Ok, got it.

Indie rock

Pavement, Sonic Youth, Silversun Pickups, Get Up Kids, etc.

I love that google link thing.........

Well, I'm an ' Indie ' rocker now..........

Anyways, check out the " Hold Steady "......

Some Portland indie bands from my stomping grounds are Dead Moon, The Dandy Warhols, Hillstomp, Floater, Elliot Smith, Modest Mouse, Blitzen Trapper, The Decemberists, Little Suzie,

and of course, Modest Mouse......I know some of these guys and gals; but until my health improves, I'm stuck inside......With lots of guitars..

So many bad indie rock bands...

Pavement is awesome. My favorite "indie" band is definately Pinback. The album "Blue Screen Life" would be a good starting point. If you dig that I have a bunch of other stuff to recommend. They have a really unique sound mostly because of the way Zack plays bass. A lot of what sounds like guitar parts are actually played on bass but high up on the neck.

Another band that I think you'd like is Surfer Blood. My favorite songs are "Harmonix" and "Slow Jabroni". I can't help but notice some of their songs rip off other bands.. But whatever.

Yup, a definition is always difficult, but this is how I see it:

Indie-Rock = "Independent Rock"

Alt-Rock = "Alternative Rock"

The question is "Alternative to what?" or "Independent of what?"

I would say it means alternative to and independent of the Corporate Rock or Big Business Music, which gets played on the major stations. Most "indie" or "alternative" bands are on small labels, which are ignored by the corporate radio stations. Another important factor is that no Marketing department is telling these bands how to make their music, so "Indie Rock" is independent in this way as well. The bands on big labels are constantly being told what to do and how to do it.

I love Alternative Rock. For me it's the only real Rock n' Roll. On the other hand, driving around in a limo and getting told what to do by record company executives isn't Rock n' Roll in the least. It may be smart and profitable, but it's just a successful product with no soul. The sad thing is that the big record companies have "discovered" Indie Rock and tried to sell this "product" as well: 30 seconds to Mars and Green Day, for example, are corporate bands, which are supposed to be alternative but really aren't...

And since you mentioned Pavement, who saw the farewell tour?

So many bad indie rock bands...

Pavement is awesome. My favorite "indie" band is definately Pinback. The album "Blue Screen Life" would be a good starting point. If you dig that I have a bunch of other stuff to recommend. They have a really unique sound mostly because of the way Zack plays bass. A lot of what sounds like guitar parts are actually played on bass but high up on the neck.

Another band that I think you'd like is Surfer Blood. My favorite songs are "Harmonix" and "Slow Jabroni". I can't help but notice some of their songs rip off other bands.. But whatever.

I'll check both of those out, just lemme know what else you would suggest. I'm starting to really embrace it because a lot of my songs "sound indie" so instead of trying to make it more blues rock-ish, I'll accept it and work off of it

Man. I don't care what anyone says... I love Modest Mouse.

listen to some of their old stuff. It's so good.

They went downhill

Modest Mouse was awesome! Their old stuff was amazing, the last album was meh

on that note, i want a shirt that just says "...meh"

I really hate these labeled genres. They're almost as bad as political parties. However, I guess

if you want to discuss music they are needed.

As I recall "Indie" was short for Independent (as already mentioned). The point being that they were

bands signed to smaller (and thus more independent) record labels - labels like Sub Pop and Fat Possum

in the US and perhaps Rough Trade and Stiff in the UK.

I think the first time I heard the label "Indie" used was in reference to REM when they first came out.

Which brings up an interesting question... Is an Indie band still Indie after they sign to a major label?

Also, interestingly, Stax records would have fit the Indie label description as well, so maybe Booker T

was indie! [thumbup]

To answer the question, yes I listen. Most of the bands mentioned are a part of my/our collection. Pavement

(mentioned often above is a great band). I love Fugazi as well. Nick Cave has remained pretty "Indie".

Iron and Wine are great. Bright Eyes has done some cool"Indie" folk. I guess the Replacements remained Indie

until the end. [lol] They were a great band.

My wifes always puts the Sirius receiver on Alt. Nation or Lithium in the car and they spin some good "indie"

stuff now and again. Though they also play a lot of boring "sound alike" bands too. (She says the same about

my classic rock, btw [biggrin])

A final thought, how do you know the difference between an "indie" rock band and a "college" rock band?

Archived