Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Effects Pedals?

animalfarm

THIS is what started the entire thread. I was watching one on Ebay, 2 days left, no Bids,

starting Price $50. MSRP is/was $229, but the pedal has been discontinued for unknown reasons.

Dang Shame. The seller ended the auction EARLY... [cursing]

I REALLY WANTED that Expandora II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s1GLgc_r5g

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Have never heard an overdrive/distortion pedal that could rival the dirty channel on a good valve amp. Pedals always just sound like... well,..pedals. IMO.

What i think would be a really cool idea would be a all Valve pre amp in a pedal, which could be kranked up, then fed into any old solid state amp or PA system giving you that sound of a fully cranked valve amp at controllable volume levels.

In this photo are Boss PH-3 phaser, CH-1 Chorus, TU-2 Tuner and GE-7 Graphic EQ:

DSCN5656.jpg

The tuner and EQ are great. The TU2 is also a 9Vdc power supply and the GE7 can be used as a volume boost as well as nicely shaping tone.

I also have an Ibanez chorus and flanger from the 80s that I still use quite regularly.

Z.

I Have never heard an overdrive/distortion pedal that could rival the dirty channel on a good valve amp. Pedals always just sound like... well,..pedals. IMO.

What i think would be a really cool idea would be a all Valve pre amp in a pedal, which could be kranked up, then fed into any old solid state amp or PA system giving you that sound of a fully cranked valve amp at controllable volume levels.

Hey bigneil-

There are many boxes out there now with a 12ax7 or similar as a "preamp" to help warm up the sound and add some tube overdrive. I think some of the vox multipedals do this and a Dr. Z pedal I saw in a store had one. I agree though with your comment about tube distortion...I rarely if ever use the distortion pedals on my ME50, I mostly use it for the modulation (phaser, tremolo, etc) effects or echo. I use the volume knob on the amp for distortion.

-Cal

I got a Vox ToneLab ST. I'll never have an opportunity to use all the noises this thing can make. I know there are better pedals, but right now, I'm enjoying the XXXX out of this. Second party programmers have done an outstanding job making editors for this thing and are still releasing new versions (on the Vox "ToneLab" forum. ) I dig it, took out the original equipment (Ruby) tube and put in a "Tung-Sol". Sounds great.

Here's a little "jazz" I tried to play, "clean". I'm not too good a player, but I think this sounds pretty nice. Riviera P-93

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10278505&q=hi&newref=1

ToneLabcapture.jpg

ToneLabv18.jpg

ToneLabVoxLibraianscreen.jpg

tonelab.jpg

That's the trick with the ToneLabs, the stock tubes are harsh and junk. A good old 5814 or 12AU7 make a huge difference. I only use 25% of what's available. I got mine for the Leslie, tremelo, reverbs and tuner. Those and the fact that you can do the headphones in the bedroom thing. I'll admit that I'll sometimes monkey with the amp/speaker cab settings. The AC30 through my old style AC4 sounds heavenly. The rest is stuff I'll never use.

Hey bigneil-

There are many boxes out there now with a 12ax7 or similar as a "preamp" to help warm up the sound and add some tube overdrive. I think some of the vox multipedals do this and a Dr. Z pedal I saw in a store had one. I agree though with your comment about tube distortion...I rarely if ever use the distortion pedals on my ME50, I mostly use it for the modulation (phaser, tremolo, etc) effects or echo. I use the volume knob on the amp for distortion.

-Cal

Jeepers, I guess i haven't been keeping up on technological advances in effect pedals, perhaps i should go down to my local guitar store and ask to try a few out.

I am currently in 'pedal heaven' with my recently purchased Boss ME 70

As previously mentioned, this is a quality piece of kit with excellent multi FX and great usability

The stereo outs are inspiring for chorus and delay

I have added Behringer Ultra Metal and Digitech Hot Head in front for extra O/D choice....

V...(Stomping at the Savoy)

:-({|=

My three favorites for years now,,Digitech XP100 Whammy-Wah (discontinued),,,Boss DD3 digital delay,,and the best over drive ever,,The Sans amp GT2

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 2010 ART100-VLS

Ibanez 1977 Les Paul (2351AV)

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster (2375W)

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

My pedal board is a revolving door. Here is what it looks like as of today. I just picked up the Ibanez Prime Dual Chorus (It's an analog dual pedal - Chorus/Flanger Very warm sounding)

DSCN5350.jpg

R to L

Behringer Volume/Expression pedal, Bheringer tuner, MXR Micro amp, Crybaby 535Q, Boss GE7, Blackstar real tube distortion, DOD Phasor 401, (my first pedal, bought in 1979), Ibanez Prime Dual Chorus, DOD Vibrothang, Boss DD2 delay.

For smaller gigs I just use a Line 6 POD

not a pedal man, i prefer the amp and the volume on my guitar any day, but i confess i have some out of nessesity. when using a blackfaced or silverfaced fender amp (as opposed to a tweed or my vicky) upping the volume on the guitar makes the treble way high as well, so sometimes i need a pedal for a volume boost for single note leads. for that the trusty ts9 does the trick. not to be a ts9 hound, but it is the best i have found at fattening the sound while giving a boost for the volume without having to resort to adding to mush distortion to do that. it has a lot of compression compared with its dist. and i also have a thing for compressers, and i have and use a keely. i use it for a boost switch as well, for leads. the keeley is dead quiet, which to me is a miracle. i really like and prefer the sound and effects of the mxr and the ibanez compressors, but they are too noisy for use playing with others.

one thing i should add about being a ts9 hound, i have 3 and i do know there is something to be said for the chips and different years and such, but when you test them for actuall sound quality instead of just what makes them different, the cheap ones like the ts7 and ts10 actually sound as good as often as the vintage ones and the reissues, imho. grabbing a small pile at a music store and playing a few at a time i note that they sound different pedal to pedal, just like a guitar, and that may be where a lot of folks assume the vintage ones are better.

Does the TC Electronic G Major count? probably not since it's a rack unit, But it's what i use live, (actually i use 2 - one for each head) and i control it with a big midi controller (FCB1010). Awesome studio quality Effects.

as for stompboxes:

Delay - Line 6 DL4

Modulation - Boss: Chorus Ensemble and Tremolo. MXR: Phase 90 (if line 6 ever gets their crap together and puts a tap tempo on their MM4, It would take over this catagory by itself)

Overdrive: MXR Distortion +

Reverb - Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb

The DL4 really is awesome tho. 15 great delays, 3 presets (or 6 when using an expression pedal) and a 14 second looper.

But I've converted to the midi system. It's a pain in the *** to program. The stress from programming it is enough make you want to shoot yourself, but once it's programmed it's awesome. Most units will handle channel switching on your amp as well so it's 1 switch controls all, completely eliminating "tap dancing". great for someone who is also a vocalist.

Beggars Can't be Choosers....?

Word is filtering around where I work that I'm digging for Pedals,

soooo - A couple of guys show up with Pedals they don't use anymore,

$15 each if I'm interested. Have NOT had a chance to test-drive them yet.

1. Danelectro Fab Tone.

2. Dyna-Comp Compressor Pedal.

I get a chuckle out this fellas review of the Fab Tone, Construction going on

outside his home, etc. Definitely can get the Nirvana Tone, but may have a bit too much

saturation on the OD. I'll find out soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAF8ZAOuhQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph63ZEK5KJo&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...

Beggars Can't be Choosers....?

Word is filtering around where I work that I'm digging for Pedals,

soooo - A couple of guys show up with Pedals they don't use anymore,

$15 each if I'm interested. Have NOT had a chance to test-drive them yet.

1. Danelectro Fab Tone.

2. Dyna-Comp Compressor Pedal.

I get a chuckle out this fellas review of the Fab Tone, Construction going on

outside his home, etc. Definitely can get the Nirvana Tone, but may have a bit too much

saturation on the OD. I'll find out soon.

$15 for a MXR Dyna Comp? You better buy that pedal. Even if you don't want it you can sell it for twice that much.

I have a Holy Grail Nano,Guyatone ST2 compressor and a Bad Monkey. Last night I ordered my new Hardwire dl-8 delay AND a MXR Micro flanger. Can't wait for the weekend, at least I hope.

I also have a Dano Fish & Chips in a drawer collecting dust.

Got my pedals a week ago. They are both awesome. Flanger absolutely nails that "Black Hole Sun" sound.

In addition to the ToneLab ST I have 2 different Fender amps that run off the Fender "FUSE" software (Mustang II and G-DEC 3-30). Here is a screen shot from the version that drives the G-DEC 3-30

FenderFuse.jpg

The software allows four pre and four post amp effects

Man I love pedals!!! Overdrives, distortions, flangers, choruses, phasers, multi-effects... Boss, Behringer, Hardwire, Ibanez......... I love 'em all!!!

I also love rack units and I also have a Zoom G9.2tt that is absolutely amazing!

Here's a demo of my mostly BOSS pedalboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq0_6Xx4V5Q

Some of my other pedals:

DSC05131.jpg

DSC05203.jpg

DSC05226.jpg

And my rack system:

DSC05979.jpg

DSC05983.jpg

Man I love pedals!!! Overdrives, distortions, flangers, choruses, phasers, multi-effects... Boss, Behringer, Hardwire, Ibanez......... I love 'em all!!!

I also love rack units and I also have a Zoom G9.2tt that is absolutely amazing!

Here's a demo of my mostly BOSS pedalboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq0_6Xx4V5Q

Some of my other pedals:

DSC05131.jpg

DSC05203.jpg

DSC05226.jpg

And my rack system:

DSC05979.jpg

DSC05983.jpg

I agree, You seem to really like pedals. So do I. I used to have that Boss FDR, wish I still did. It's a very good amp modeler for recording.

I'm not a big fan of pedals except one: the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Blues. It's a classic overdrive pedal tuned for a true blues sound. If you're a blues or bluesy rock fan you'll love this sound. Check out the video at the SD site. It sounds dead bang like the video.

Happy searching.

Archived