Gibson Brands Forums

Multi-effects processors

kaleb

You see here, I had a gig last Saturday, and like a week before that I had my pedalboard togethor. It has a BOSS TU-3, Ibanez Soundtank Tube Screamer, Ibanez PG Airplane Flanger, and Crybaby Wah in the front, and it has a mid 80s DOD FX65 chorus in the effects loop. When we were getting crap together right before we started, I noticed that my channel switcher wouldn't work ( I was stuck on clean ). So I tried plugging everything into another guy's amp. ( a real crappy Laney AC30-meets Deluxe Reverb style combo ). My fx would not work. So I plugged back into my Peavey, and cranked the gain up on my Tube Screamer ( although it was still pretty clean ) and we went on with Joe Bonamassa's Django as an intro to Just Got Paid. A real cruddy tone. My EQ and volume stopped working! So for the next couple tunes I played straight into the drive channel on the Laney. ( and made plenty of mistakes----CAN'T PLAY WITHOUT MY SOUND! ). The rest of the night I played straight into my amp ( the switch worked again ) with both my SG and the other guy's ( he is not in our band--he was there to jam ) 1985 MIJ Strat. Turns out my board ( an SKB PS-8 ) is faulty! Everytime I plug it in another DC input fails. So this got me thinking--- what if I had a mulit effects? I know many a-player are against them, but I feel that it is an awesome solution to running a pile of stompboxes. Even my own father is against them!!!! ( he uses a TC Electronic G Major for his delay though ). But I have to admit that I was too. My bassman had always been telling me that if I was going to use effects ( as I have always ran straight in ), then I should get a multi processor. So I finally thought about it. Thats where the phrase less is more comes in. Anyways, Im trying to decide between the Line 6 POD Hd500 and the DigiTech RP1000. I like the POD because: the expression pedal looks like it has more room to travel, the effects seem higher quality, you can dial in the effects more efficiently, and the amp models are better ( even though I don't really plan on using them ). I like the RP1000 because: amp/cab bypass, stomp loop ( so I can route my Tube Screamer ), easier to program and control, uses a 4 cable method ( so I can split between front/loop ), and the factory presets seem to sound better. I don't like the POD because: lacks an on/off switch, cannot bypass amp/cab sims, overall a more complicated piece of work. I don't like the RP1000 because: Exp pedal seems to have limited travel space, amp models don't seem as real as POD ( again, don't plan on using them ), and harder to dial in fx. Keep in mind that I have my core tube sound and I do not want it to be too altered. All opinions welcomed. Thanks!

Boss ToneLab LE.

I noticed that neither of the pepdals you mentioned actually have a tube... the Vox does. If you haven't tried one, then you REALLY should before you drop the money on something else.

But, then, hey... tube sound isn't for everyone.... just ask anyone who knew Dimebag!

Good luck in your hunt [thumbup]

Boss ToneLab LE.

I noticed that neither of the pepdals you mentioned actually have a tube... the Vox does. If you haven't tried one, then you REALLY should before you drop the money on something else.

But, then, hey... tube sound isn't for everyone.... just ask anyone who knew Dimebag!

Good luck in your hunt [thumbup]

I have both the HD500 and the Rp1000. Personally I find effects on the Rp1000 to sound better.

I am totally about the G-Major. It plays nicely with stompboxes and works well either in a FX loop or before the amp (it really shines in the FX though). It's kind of a ***** to program, although there are a couple of 3rd party pc editors out there that help with the programing (G Major 2 comes with a mac/pc editor), and all the different effects are high quality.

Downsides: It's a rack unit and you have to not only program the unit but the footswitch as well. And it doesn't have amp modeling, but if your happy with the sound of your tube screamer and your amp then this isn't really a problem.

Seeing as how you know someone who has one of them. I guess I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but IMO the tone of the G Major blows away that of the RP and POD.

I don't know why so many people are against these units, my guess is it's because of the work that they take to program. But once programmed they are excellence. The ease use during a gig far outweighs the pain of troubleshooting a large pedal board with various 6" patch cables and many different power supplys (or 9v batteries). Also there's the issue of signal degradation from non-true bypass pedals, etc. etc. etc. With quality multi fx pedals it's 1 foot tap and every effect (and the channel switching of your amp) is controlled. Plus you can always set the G Major up to make your footswitch act like a line of stompboxes if you'd like.

I'd also, recommend using the Behringer FCB1010 to control it. you have 10 banks of 10 patches, plus TWO expression pedals (with a wide range of motion) that can be any combo of: Volume, Wah, Pitch Shifter, or to manually adjust any number of paramaters in that effect.

I mean lets face it, how many nights do you get premier sound at a venue? What i mean is, how many nights do you get to play a venue with not only a top notch sound system, but a quality sound man that is so good that the average crowd member can tell if your using a specific array of stompboxes, or a really good quality multi fx unit? Even on the BEST systems this would be difficult to distinguish. On the flip side, the average crowd member almost always notices when someone is trying to troubleshoot a faulty pedal board.

Also, if your already looking into the pod, you might want to look into the Line 6 M9. or M13 I'm not so much a fan of the distortion/overdrives on them, but the delays, modulations, and filters are all of good quality. It's like having a DL4, MM4, and FM4 all in one.

The only multi effects I really care for are the Boss ME 50 or the newer ME 70. I like that they use knobs and it functions a lot like a stomp box. I hate navigating menus and setting parameters. I've never tried the ToneLab but it seems like something I would also like.

However, I'm heading in the opposite direction as you. My ME50 is starting to have issues, so I think I'm going to start a pedal collection.

Honestly, I agree with FirstMeasure, mostly because you already have a few individual stompboxes, and if you like the way those sound, then it's more convenient and cheaper to just pull together a new board. That is, unless you're really unhappy with the stompboxes you currently have.

If you're dead-set on a multi-effects unit and won't accept anything else, I don't know much about either of the models you've listed. All I can speak for as far as multi processors go is my in-store experiences with the Vox Tonelab and the Boss ME-70, both of which are excellent in my opinion. The Tonelab in particular has really lush, wonderful, organic tones--although I didn't much care for the interface. Looking at the specs for the Line 6 and the Digitech now, they definitely seem solid, but I'd warn beforehand that neither company has a particularly stellar reputation (whatever that's supposed to mean) so, IMO, it's imperative for you to try before you buy. Frankly I dislike the price on the RP1000, but it looks like a good, full-featured unit. Again, I recommend that you try it out somewhere first.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I went from individual boxes to a Pod XT Live, then upgraded to a Pod X3 Live although (IMO) the HD500 is a downgrade from the X3 Live. The X3 does everything from bass, to vocals to guitar and IMO again the 500 does not live up to the hype and many even huge Line6 supporters do not like this unit. I know the new unit is supposed to be the Cats Meow although there are a few functions that hep in recording that no longer are there.

A buddy of mine pre ordered the HD500 and waited weeks for it. He was super excited the day it arrived. Within 24 hours he had it sold on Ebay and went back to his Pod X3. Said it has some very bad possessor limitations.

Archived