Gibson Brands Forums

What's Up With GC?

Out_Of_Control

Their new business model must be called "Screw the loyal Customer".

In the last three years, I've purchased close to 30 guitars from GC. Now they suddenly act as if they don't want to do business anymore. My last purchase was in June and since then, they have refused to budge on a price, even on used merchandise. Yesterday they acted like they didn't even want to see me.

It's true that I try to get the best deal I can, so the store dosen't make as much profit from sales to me, but I keep coming back. A smaller profit margin across multiple sales used to be considered normal. Now I guess they want a bigger profit margin, but they're not going to do as much volume.

I blame it on turnover, and the new staffers aren't getting the training that the old guard had. When I went in this past Monday, I didn't recognize any of the current staff. There used to be one or two guys that always approached me and were helpful, but I haven't seen either in a while. And I've bought four of my current 15 guitars from this same GC in the past two years. Lately, I feel like I'm invisible when I'm in that store.

I blame it on turnover' date=' and the new staffers aren't getting the training that the old guard had. When I went in this past Monday, I didn't recognize any of the current staff. There used to be one or two guys that always approached me and were helpful, but I haven't seen either in a while. And I've bought four of my current 15 guitars from this same GC in the past two years. Lately, I feel like I'm invisible when I'm in that store.[/quote']

it's not turnover. GC has always had that problem. it really is the new business plan put in place since ownership changed hands.

It's true that I try to get the best deal I can' date=' so the store dosen't make as much profit from sales to me, but I keep coming back. [/quote']

There is the problem - you keep going back. Don't do that anymore.

Seriously though, if you live somewhere that doesn't have any other option within driving distance, I think you'd be better served by shopping online for small items and, when you're in the market for something that really requires you to take a test drive, take a road trip or shop online with a retailer that has a good return policy.

Apparently, Guitar Center isn't able to make deals with the customers anymore. They're on to a "match the price" policy. Their excuse for this stupid policy is that customers don't like to haggle. We know that's a total lie because as Out of Control says, we always try to get the best deals. Guitar Center's losing a bit of money on us hagglers, so they make a stupid excuse for a new stupid policy.

Apparently' date=' Guitar Center isn't able to make deals with the customers anymore. They're on to a "match the price" policy.[/quote']

Yeah, our GC (L&M) is the same. 30 day price match guarantee only.

Out_Of_Control, I deal with one guy and one guy only at my local L&M, a manager. He knows what I've purchased in the past that knows what I plan on buying in the future. He always tells me, "Well, list price is $____, you can have it for $____." This still doesn't stop me from shopping around.

That's what I would do if I were you...find one guy at GC and stick with him.

Apparently' date=' Guitar Center isn't able to make deals with the customers anymore. They're on to a "match the price" policy. Their excuse for this stupid policy is that customers don't like to haggle. We know that's a total lie because as Out of Control says, we always try to get the best deals. Guitar Center's losing a bit of money on us hagglers, so they make a stupid excuse for a new stupid policy. [/quote']

As long as they price match, I got no issues. I am going to shop for a new guitar today. I'll start at Sam Ash, (it's closer) and go to GC if I strike out there. If I see a guitar I want priced for more than I can get it elsewhere and they won't budge on the price, I'll walk. Period. That doesn't matter WHAT store I am in. Doing anything else is stupid.

NEVER had that issue with Sam Ash... OR Guitar Center for that matter, but if their corporate policy has changed, we'll see.... Sam Ash was still working with me as of last weekend.

I'm glad some of you have had good experiences at GC... just like I am sorry to hear folks say that the AZ stores suck. I've never been one to let some one else make up my mind for me, as I am sure you will agree. I believe I have said before... I don't get the majority of rants on music stores. Almost every store I have ever dealt with has worked to get me what I needed and given me some kind of a break. I guess with this being Nashville, if they didn't, there is another music store mere blocks away. Or maybe I'm just special, I don't know.

Hmmm... When did this new policy kick in? I just bought a Black Custom at GC Boston in July... The hang tag price was 3179.99 but I walked out with the guitar for 2861.90. I was very happy. I have bought several guitars there and they do know me... Before I go I always call first to see if my guys are working... Get to know them too... This trip back home my main guitar guy at GC was getting ready to close the store and was going to an acoustic gig right around the corner from the store. I went to hear him play, had a few beers heard some good music and saw some amazing talent. His group, The Elements are mostly Berkly students and professors...

Hmmm... When did this new policy kick in? I just bought a Black Custom at GC Boston in July... The hang tag price was 3179.99 but I walked out with the guitar for 2861.90. I was very happy. I have bought several guitars there and they do know me... Before I go I always call first to see if my guys are working... Get to know them too... This trip back home my main guitar guy at GC was getting ready to close the store and was going to an acoustic gig right around the corner from the store. I went to hear him play' date=' had a few beers heard some good music and saw some amazing talent. His group, The Elements are mostly Berkly students and professors...[/quote']

I talked to them about this around the beginning of August. I had a 10% coupon from Guitar Center's monthly newsletter, and I forgot to bring it with me to the store. I bought a set of 3 Gibson strings for around $20 so I asked for a small reduction, and that's when they told me about their new policy. I emailed corporate and they told me likewise.

:-)

Chan, it's not just the Arizona stores that suck.

Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas as well - just maybe not as bad.

I went to the worst one in AZ today after church (Avondale, 99th & McDowell) and it was typical.

They had a grand total of 10 Les Pauls in the store, including a couple that have been there for a year and a half.

They both have finish damage and missing switch tips.

Prices are stupid high, so if they ain't gonna haggle....

Every guitar I see leaving that store in the happy hands of a new owner is cheapo imported sh!t - without a case.

I just bought a Black Custom at GC Boston in July...

The hang tag price was 3179.99 but I walked out with the guitar for 2861.90

What was the retail list price?

If you didn't get at least 30% off the list they did you no favors.

That being said, I'm sure you did okay.

You have a knack for dealmaking and $3179.99 sounds low for list price on a Custom.

Well... Sam Ash is offering the 30-day price match too now. But, of course, they had already equaled the lowest price I could find :). Daughter's kid now owns an Epi Les Paul Special II in the Vintage Sunburst and a nice hardshell case (for around $250 )

They are gonna try and order in something for me to check out... but I can't talk about it here.

:)

I won't be drawn into a loosing battle. If you guys want to bash guitar center in this forum, so be it. I can't stop you. Have fun. I like Guitar Center. I will continue to shop there till I get ripped off, which will never happen since I'm an informed consumer. So I guess everyone else that shops there is .... well, stupid.

Go John and Sarah!!

What was the retail list price?

If you didn't get at least 30% off the list they did you no favors.

That being said' date=' I'm sure you did okay.

You have a knack for dealmaking and $3179.99 sounds low for list price on a Custom.[/quote']

Hey Chan, the list was $5245.... I kept the hang tag... So that was already a good price, more than 30% off.... My out the door was $3005 including 5% MA sales tax

hangtag.jpg

His group' date=' The Elements are mostly Berkly students and professors...[/quote']

Yeah... I've heard most Berkley students and profesors work at GCs and Sam Ashes.[-X Some local guys that studied there work here in studios (the lucky ones) with prety low salaries, and the others work at pubs and bars as soundmen, with much lower salaries (most of them for free).

Hey Chan' date=' the list was $5245.... I kept the hang tag... So that was already a good price, more than 30% off.... My out the door was $3005 including 5% MA sales tax

[img']http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Daveinspain_PB/hangtag.jpg[/img]

Hey Dave!

GREAT DEAL!! My LP Standard had a list of close to 4k, GC normally sold it for $2599, it was on sale for $2499, and I walked out paying around $2100, if I recall. I am a happy camper... hopefully Mike, the guy who sold it to me, got a nice comission, and we are all happy.

But tell me sir.... why did you quote Neo, then say "Hey Chan"?

](*,)

hey rybass, I still shop there (really only for guitars since they have the best prices), you think I'm stupid? How could I be, I'm getting good deals, I know the products, I'm informed.

I guess what you guys call sharks I call guppies... I aint scared of them, I get treated much better at GC than most of the other shops. Smaller shops kick me out because I mention GC or MF prices, great for business huh? Maybe if some of them would start competing and treat people better they could build their business up, bigger, - BIGGER **BIG** ... but wait then they would be like Guitar Center and uninformed people in forums would start spouting off about them, starting rumors and inflating a few stories, making them out to be some communist regime....

No response is necessary about uniformed people, I know that none of you are and would ever do this...

Really, I'm not calling everyone uninformed, especially you Neo!! You are probably the most informed forum junkie I've ever known. But that being said, I have not experienced what you or anyone else has a GC and I have been shopping there longer than most of you. Until I get screwed myself (which will never happen) or I see someone get screwed before my eyes (which I would probably say something right then and there in front of a salesman, I have no problem helping others) I will still buy guitars from GC.

Aint I a stinker..... Imagine, askn' for it - bugs bunny

Archived