Gibson Brands Forums

Under the bed or closet queens

Tim Plains

Yeah, I have a Japanes Jackson Kelly under my bed that is currently for sale. I have an old Egmond that I never play. Once I figure out what it's worth, it will be sold. My first acoustic does not get played cuz the bridge is coming off a little so it buzzes a lil on the 2nd fret. My Hamer 4 string bass does not get played much since I got the Ibanez SR535. Everything else gets played.

i have a whole different perspective i learned the hard way:

throughout my life i always used to love searching the guitar shops, and what i bought cheap of corse, having good taste, kinda becomes worth more. why sell? it only gets worth more!

i bought this house to remodel, yadda yadda, and so i have a storage with most my stuff, to difficult to keep it here and just have to move it around. yes, i questioned it more and more whether it was worth it to me to have 2 bedrooms worth of hobby, and maybe time to slim down. also looked forward to the day i would get to be back to a normal life and get to play and tweak and jam. amps to tube, speakers to swap, some to recone.

one day, it was taken from me. short version: the storage place sold it at 60 days instead of the 90 days. i got ripped off but i didn't see a way to get it back. and even if i could make it to court, the records of the seriel #s and reciepts i would need to get the value of what was gone..anyway, it was gone.

i did, however, count my blessings. i can say worse things are happening with this economy and the way poeple are doing to each other that kinda give me a perpective. doesnt make me feel better, just makes me want to look at things in a different way. i happened to have the rig i used to gig with, and the spare. my 2 favorite and most useful. had a couple of my favorite guitars, too. looking at it that way, i still had everything i NEED to play, should i want to. truth is though, i could only think about it so much before i would get sick. the stuff stayed stashed, and rarely started to come out a little here and there, and then back it went. got bigger problems to get to.

with a little encouragement..no..a lot of patient, dlicate encouragement, i start to fiddle and get curious and enjoy a few licks here and there. now the amp is out again. then, computer coma + interest leads me to this site. then guys bring things up. then i start looking to the stash in the garage. turns out i got more here than i knew, but was afrid to look. yes, i lost far more than what is left, but what i do have left, want to play them. i want to tweak them. someone posted a dano, i remembered it and dug it out. someone did a sound test with the accoustics, so i was reminded of that. turns out i still have one.

so, i told that whole long story to say that, i know the value of having something you love in the closet. it may only come out once in a great while, but sometimes going in and getting it out, if even just for a half hour, is just what a man's soul needs. and that is regardless of whether it is 2, 6, or 25. and regardless if they are worth 200 bones or 2000.

I've been culling out unused guitars. I've gotten rid of 13 so far, mostly (very) inexpensive ones that just got amassed and weren't worth dumping on ebay at the time.... $50-$60 guitars, hardly worth boxing up. I bit the bullet, posted them, and sold them for whatever they'd bring. I did sell a pristine Kramer 450 that I had been hoarding for no reason.

Hoarding for no reason. Lot of weight in that statement.

I didn't net much cash but I paid off a credit card that I had dedicated to guitar stuff and I have in the high 3 digits floating around to go into the archtop fund. I plan to dump more guitars but sometimes it's like breaking up with someone who has done you no wrong, you're just bored with them or have nothing in common.

2006 Gibson Les Paul Std-desert burst finish.I mostly play my J-45 or SG and a Epi Dot-reason?

The LP weighs 9.5 lbs and the finish is so beautiful I dont want to scratch the finish,every once in a while I take the LP out just to hear the sound thru a tube amp-its marvelous!

For me...

The heavier strings on the 1970s Ovation Electric Legend A-E keep it in the case 'cuz it's mostly been used for playing old time/bluegrass stuff with a flatpick. I just don't do much of that.

Ditto the 12-string acoustic with a mag pickup, the mandolin and 5-string banjo. And the cheapie bass I keep for emergencies.

m

I hope they were in her backpack prepared to throw on stage and not removed at the show! [biggrin]

I didn't have the heart (or stomach) to check. Didn't see any coffee grounds.

They didn't have Depends tangled up in there too did they?msp_thumbdn.gifmsp_flapper.gif

Nope, I was wearin those. You didn't think I was packin?

I wouldn't call them queens, but I've got a few I never, ever touch.

Yamaha Pacifca 312 - My second guitar. Nice looking, but I'd be lucky to get $100 for it.

2011-03-03_18-43-31_782.jpg

Budweiser "True Music" promotional guitar - I think I plugged this thing in once, years ago. Kind of wish it had strings on it. I've seen one of these on ebay. Maybe to the right buyer, it may be worth a couple hundred or more, to them.

2011-03-03_18-43-45_234.jpg

2011-03-03_18-43-55_708.jpg

Archived