Gibson Brands Forums

Major dilemma...

DJScott

Good friend of mine calls me last night to propose a sweet deal of an offer.

He has his grandfathers old Guild S-100 and amp. Will not part with the guitar, but offers me the amp. Says he wants to keep it in the family, but doesn't trust his brother. Apparently, I'm family now!

Anyway, the amp is an all original, plugged in and used about every three months, 1971 or 72 Fender Twin Reverb 100 watt w/fender speakers. His Grandfather babied the thing, as has my buddy, so the outside looks nearly as good as it did the day it was purchased. I'll be able to plug into it in three weeks to verify everything works proper.

Here's the deal, he's offering it to me for $1,200. Most are listing upwards of $1,400, depending on condition, on e-bay.

Now, I know it's a good deal, my dilemma is, if I grab it, I'll likely end up divorced, not necessarily a horrible thing, but I don't want that!

I don't want to backdoor him, but that is the number he suggested, so I'm cool with the price. I just don't need it. I WANT it, but I can't justify buying it unless I can re-sell it.

Ohhh... what to do?...

The S100 is a great guitar if it has survived in good shape - as my 1970s S100c (carved top) has done for me.

The amp... At minimum I'd say it should be given a once-over before gigged with.

I wouldn't buy something with that close a margin for resale, personally. At best the margin might cover shipping costs even if a Ebay buyer technically covers them.

But that's just my thought on it.

m

Depends; would she be divorcing you because that 1200$ is shared saved money? Rent money? Money for necessities?

If it is then I understand where she's coming from. If it's from your own personal savings it is your money to do with as you please, whether you need or want the amp at that point is irrelevant no?

Or would she be citing irreconcilable differences due to the massive increase in wattage that your playing would suddenly involve? It will be louder than your micro-stack. That's for sure.

But seriously. How can you want to resell a classic hand-wired Fender? Even if it is a back-breaker (hopefully not marriage-breaker). No better clean tone. With a Les Paul it will bring you close to Mike Bloomfield...

If it's going to cause a big riff, don't buy it.

Of course he will make big riffs with that amp.

But seriously, I take a chick over an amp any day. There are more Fender amps out there, I assume theres only one of your wife.

All... Gonna discuss it with her first...given!

CB & SG... LOL!

Milo, I'd take it to Jacobsens' and let Justin give it a full tune-up.

All, cash is not the problem, plenty of that, just have other plans for it currently, like actually going to Ohio to see my family and it, while my wife and daughter are on spring break in Vegas! Re-modeling the whole house, etc...

Wife and daughter in Vegas while you're working?

Hey, I'd say get and keep the amp. <grin>

The twin in that era was quite good. The weakness then and now is schlepping the #@$%@#$% thing. I'd also want wheels on it one way or another. But maybe that's my age speaking.

If you could get that S100, though... if it's in excellent shape as is mine... it's likely the best all-around electric guitar I've had my hands on, and I am NOT a fan of solidbody "boards" regardless of manufacturer. Gibson's SG set the shape and pickup configuration, but the Guilds were awfully, awfully nice and they ain't makin' no more of 'em.

m

Of course he will make big riffs with that amp.

But seriously, I take a chick over an amp any day. There are more Fender amps out there, I assume theres only one of your wife.

At MY age, I'm just the opposite! I'll take a good amp, over a "chick," any day. LOL

Far less expensive, less maintenance, warms up faster, and any crying or whining, is

the direct result of something you WANT it, to do. ;>)

Although...there are some "chicks" like that, too. (Smile)

CB

If money isn't an issue, and since your wife and daughter are partying, GET THE DAMN THING!

If money is an issue, ask the friend if you could make installments or something. Great amp

And Milod- I don't think the only issue is moving it around. Finding a place where you can properly play a 100 watt Twin is hard too! [biggrin]

DJ

You transplanted from Ohio... to North Dakota ???? [scared]

It's a good thing you came here for advice as obviously you cannot be trusted to make good choices!!

Just sayin'... from one former Buckeye to another.

Alan

DJ

You transplanted from Ohio... to North Dakota ???? [scared]

It's a good thing you came here for advice as obviously you cannot be trusted to make good choices!!

Just sayin'... from one former Buckeye to another.

Alan

Uncle Sugars' Air Force re-located me here, with the employment situation after I retired, here is one of the best places in the Country!

Though, I still bleed Scarlet and Gray! (and Browns Orange!)

RE: moving the 100 watter vs. a place to let it scream.

Yeah, my 120 watt tube amp probably by today's standards has never screamed. But it surely has played loud and clean.

But it also has wheels. It's still not at all fun to move, though. Which is why the little SS amp gets the work.

m

Another thing to consider:

If not divorce, what would the missus do in retaliation for this unauthorized buy. (in a marriage there is no private, personal savings of either individual. What's yours is hers, what's hers is hers.)

Could you be in for a summer long visit from the in-laws?

Another thing to consider:

Could you be in for a summer long visit from the in-laws?

Her mother lives less than 200 yards away, on the same farmstead. I take care of the maintenance on her house too!

At MY age, I'm just the opposite! I'll take a good amp, over a "chick," any day. LOL

Far less expensive, less maintenance, warms up faster, and any crying or whining, is

the direct result of something you WANT it, to do. ;>)

Although...there are some "chicks" like that, too. (Smile)

CB

You got that right Charlie Brown! Man we must be showing our age as well as our battle scars. ;) ...Paul

If money isn't an issue, and since your wife and daughter are partying, GET THE DAMN THING!

If money is an issue, ask the friend if you could make installments or something. Great amp

And Milod- I don't think the only issue is moving it around. Finding a place where you can properly play a 100 watt Twin is hard too! [biggrin]

I agree with you on all accounts Fuzzy Fred. Especially the latter. I find it much easier playing my VOX AC30 at a lower volume and still getting a decent sound than when I had a 100 Watt Twin. But as Milod was complaining, at our ages these suckers are a ***** to lug around.

But for the sound my VOX AC30 gives me, it's well worth it. :)

OK, Update time...

Serial# is A49277. Silver panel with Master Volume, not push/pull. Panel says "Twin Reverb" in blue, Fender logo is underlined from the "r" back to the "F". Original Fender speakers and as far as he can tell, all original tubes, caps, etc. Grille and outer black covering are nearly flawless, just dirty, and shows 100 watts power on the schematic.

My research tells me it's a 1972, currently worth between $800 and $950. He's willing to go with installments [thumbup]

Now, I gotta convince the wife it's worth me spending $800.

as someone who has had a number of fender amps, the one thing you really need to get your head around is how powerful that amp is. if you are expecting any kind of that fendery overdrive, you will likely never hear it with that amp. expect clean and nothing but clean from that one, regardless of the master volume. also know that it WILL need a cap job if it has not had one in the past 10 years, and it is going to cost a good 200 dollers at least to get it retubed and serviced. not only that, but that amp will be sensitive to the tubes you use as far as sound quality. good tubes will sound great, but so-so tubes will sound really, really bla. in other words, if you need tubes that is going to mean finding nos tubes if you want it to sound good-just my experience.

but: what it will give you is something that will let you hear how your guitars sound, for better or worse. it will be highly reactive to whatever pedals you may use, and because it is so dang powerful, when playing with a band or gigging will always sound the same at those volumes. you will not experience a change in tone or reaction like you would when things get loud with most amps. and for that money, anything you buy new will not have the sound quality and purity that amp can get.

again: LOTS OF POWER. do NOT expect to be able to play while other are sleeping: by the time you get sound coming out, it is also heard through the walls

A BUTTLOAD OF TUBES: thats 4 power tubes + 6 preamp tubes. there are some ok new manafacture preamp tubes, but you are definitely going to hear the difference in type of power tube, and regardless, still expensive. and worn caps make the amp sound particularly bad (out of tune even)

VERY, VERY CLEAN: the sound from the amp itself problably won't exite you, but if you have great sounding gear and like clean and pure, you will be in clean heaven.

so...what kind of speakers and tubes are in it now? do you know?

Her mother lives less than 200 yards away, on the same farmstead. I take care of the maintenance on her house too!

OK, so you live on a farmstead, so no shortage of barns in which to set up the Twin and crank to high heaven. So finding a place to make it sing is no problem (though Fred/Nat doesn't realize as Milod does that they sound truly great uncranked too). Here's why you want a high-powered silverface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumS7B4HcTg

Oh, but then, listen to those lyrics. That's why you don't want a high-powered silverface. [scared]

Can't you buy the amp, practise this version of this song, and win her round? Win-win!

Archived