Gibson Brands Forums

New Epi SG

ccicero

Hey, everyone. I just got a brand new, gorgeous Epiphone G400 Standard, and I'm so happy about it. I always wanted a Gibson SG, but since I didn't have enough for one I got the next best thing. I love it, easy to play, looks amazing (in an intense cherry red colour) and sounds crisp clear but warm, just like an Epi should sound.

I have two questions about it, though:

A ) Can someone help me out with the year, factory and specs for my guitar? The serial number is 1001120214, made in China. I went to the Guitar Dater Project (http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx) to check it out, but it says it's a November 2001 model, which is not right unless they had that guitar locked for ten years in the music store I bought it from. I also tried to figure it out with the serial number types but this one has 10 digits and doesn't fit anywhere. It can't be a knock off because I bought it from a large music store, or could it?

B ) I want to experiment with the alternative EADGCF tuning on this guitar. Do you think the neck can withstand the extra tension? I know it's only a half-step difference, but maybe on the long run it could twist the neck? Maybe I'm just being over-protective of my guitar, but I'd like to know for sure before leaving it in that tuning. I was perhaps thinking of buying lighter gauge for the B and top E strings, and/ or heavier gauge for the Low E and/ or A strings. Would that work too?

I'll appreciate your input! And SG guitars rule! Les Pauls are close second, and Explorers are in a respectable third place.

P.S. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

10 = 2010

01 = January

12 = DeaWon or Unsung factory (unclear)

0214 = production number

As for the tuning - just adjust the truss-rod accordingly, the G400 is a quality instrument. Just to be honest - we've seen couple of stories of snapping headstocks over here on the forum, but it is a really rare case and you have your warranty for that.

traffic got the date right, about the tuning? you might want to watch out for the neck relief and adjust it,

my brothers epi neck started to bend forward when he put higher tension. great choice of axe. I owned one back in the day.

but

youforgot.jpg?t=1299301335

10 = 2010

01 = January

12 = DeaWon or Unsung factory (unclear)

0214 = production number

As for the tuning - just adjust the truss-rod accordingly, the G400 is a quality instrument. Just to be honest - we've seen couple of stories of snapping headstocks over here on the forum, but it is a really rare case and you have your warranty for that.

Thanks for the info, man. The website I mentioned broke the number differently, maybe they need to check it again.

For the tuning, do think changing the strings to the lightest possible gauge will help with the extra tension?

traffic got the date right, about the tuning? you might want to watch out for the neck relief and adjust it,

my brothers epi neck started to bend forward when he put higher tension. great choice of axe. I owned one back in the day.

but

youforgot.jpg?t=1299301335

Thanks, I love it too. Here ya go, long overdue pics (I had to ask for the camera):

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

The quality of the pics is worse than I expected, considering they were shot with a relatively high res (5M). Maybe I really suck as a photographer. Anyways, the guitar is visible.

My First Epiphone was a Cherry red SG G400 from Korea Cost me £150, it was in a state but it did play lovely.

Though as time has progressed, well im definately a Les Paul & Jazz Bass man [flapper] but you gotta start somewhere...

Nice. I'm actually a bassist myself, and also got a Jazz Bass pretty recently (which I love). Fender, not Squier.

I doubt that the tuning you mention will cause neck problems. You really need to be careful making truss rod adjustments if you have never done so. It can cause all kinds of problems. everything from intonation issues to very possibly turning your guitar neck into a pretzel. Just words of caution.

I've had my G-400 Custom(3 pup SG body Les Paul) for 2 years now and I'm amazed how that little beasty can crank out raunchy tones when put through my JCM 800s yet can also be mellow and jazzy especially through a Blues Jr. My daughter's boyfriend even prefers mine to his Gibson SG so that says something about how good the Epis are.

I've had my G-400 Custom(3 pup SG body Les Paul) for 2 years now and I'm amazed how that little beasty can crank out raunchy tones when put through my JCM 800s yet can also be mellow and jazzy especially through a Blues Jr. My daughter's boyfriend even prefers mine to his Gibson SG so that says something about how good the Epis are.

Wow, I didn't know Epis were that good to compete with the original. It has some nice variations of tones, and I like the comfortable access to the highest frets. Amazing for soloing.

Wow, I didn't know Epis were that good to compete with the original. It has some nice variations of tones, and I like the comfortable access to the highest frets. Amazing for soloing.

I've owned a '65 SG Standard and a '69 SG Standard, and I would have to honestly say that the build quality of my '07 G400 is every bit as good as the Gibsons.

The only advantage the Gibbys had was the "T" Top pickups, CTS pots, wiring, switch and jack! Congrats on the new axe!

I've owned a '65 SG Standard and a '69 SG Standard, and I would have to honestly say that the build quality of my '07 G400 is every bit as good as the Gibsons.

The only advantage the Gibbys had was the "T" Top pickups, CTS pots, wiring, switch and jack! Congrats on the new axe!

Nice to know. Thanks!

Gotta love a red SG, some lovely grain in there too, congrats.

Thanks, I like it too. At first, though, I was going more for the same model but with a yellow/lemon sunburst (custom shop edition or something). But I couldn't let the legendary red SG go!

Archived