Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter Deluxe Standard

livemusic

For a long time, I have had my eye on a Songwriter Deluxe Standard. I have never played one, I just think it looks good, haha. I don't see much mention of that when people are bragging on this and that. Anyone like this model? Tell me 'bout it, what's it like? Also, do they make a TV model?

A TV - True Vintage - the Songwriter series isn't that old. Of course that probably wouldn't stop Gibson if they knew they could make money on it. B)

But the Songwriter guitars are really nice.

I really like the Deluxe. Don't own one, but played a few. Very nice.

For a long time, I have had my eye on a Songwriter Deluxe Standard. I have never played one, I just think it looks good, haha. I don't see much mention of that when people are bragging on this and that. Anyone like this model? Tell me 'bout it, what's it like? Also, do they make a TV model?

They're really nice guitars - there are quite a few owners of them here.

I suppose they don't get talked about as much as the Gibson "classics", but mine is a very complimentary partner to the J-45.

A lot of people say they growl because of the rosewood, but I describe mine more smooth ("buttery", if you like) and kind of understated. I guess it depends how you play it as well.

I have the cut away and I love this guitar. I knew I would buy it after I strummed the first chord on it.

Exactly. Same with me.

This was the last guitar i tried after running through a couple HB's, CJ-165's, J-185's and then the SWD came along and just blew the rest away just with the first strum .... then i plugged in, lordy ..

I fell in love with my SWD the moment I picked it up and played it. My main acoustic at the time was a beautiful Larrivee L05. The L05 was sold within a month as I just never played it again. I must admit I have not played another Gibson yet that has made me fall in love with it quite like this one.

I've had my SWD since the summer and really love it. Even for fingerpicking it is very responsive to a light touch. I was surprised, it being a dread. It replaced a Taylor 814ce that I had for 10 years.

No comparison IMHO. The neck is even more comfortable. I recently played a D-18, HD-28, J-45, SJ, J-200 Studio and D-35. I would take mine over any of those and it wouldn't even be close.

I've got a '09 SWD (non-cutaway - I'm not a fan of cut-away acoustics).

I was attracted by the looks in the ads. I was looking for a "good" acoustic for ages. tried a variety of Martins and was mostly disappointed. A mate of mine has a Hummingbird, which is great to play and sounds fabulous, but I just don't like the looks. I came very close to buying a used Taylor 614, but I kept harking back to the looks of the SWD. I played an older one (the one with the "moustache" bridge and a cut-away and was impressed in every way apart from the cut-away.

Really, that sealed it for me. I bought one mail order - a bit of a risk, but from a reputable dealer and I had a long coversation with them about returning it if I was unhappy in any way. The guy agreed to this, but assured me I wouldn't be. He was dead right.

I found the factory strings didn't last long. I tried some Elixirs, but they didn't last long either. I then read on t'internet someone mentioned Martins so I tried a set of 80/20s and then a set of PBs and that was it. So now, not only does it look (and smell) fantastic, is sounds unbeatable - to my ears.

Not a cheap guitar in any way (and quite heavy) but, they are terrific. After I;d had it aboit 9 months I took it for a set-up to a local luthier. He dropped the action slightly and cut a compensation into the bridge for the B-string - that was all it needed. He reckoned it was one of the nicest guitars he'd seen and played (I relaised he could have been spinning me a bit of a line, but I don't think so).

If you can stretch to the price, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You were looking for a 614 and bought a SWD ? rosewood gibson vs maple taylor

These are completely opposite tonal scales ..

I've got a '09 SWD (non-cutaway - I'm not a fan of cut-away acoustics).

I was attracted by the looks in the ads. I was looking for a "good" acoustic for ages. tried a variety of Martins and was mostly disappointed. A mate of mine has a Hummingbird, which is great to play and sounds fabulous, but I just don't like the looks. I came very close to buying a used Taylor 614, but I kept harking back to the looks of the SWD. I played an older one (the one with the "moustache" bridge and a cut-away and was impressed in every way apart from the cut-away.

Really, that sealed it for me. I bought one mail order - a bit of a risk, but from a reputable dealer and I had a long coversation with them about returning it if I was unhappy in any way. The guy agreed to this, but assured me I wouldn't be. He was dead right.

I found the factory strings didn't last long. I tried some Elixirs, but they didn't last long either. I then read on t'internet someone mentioned Martins so I tried a set of 80/20s and then a set of PBs and that was it. So now, not only does it look (and smell) fantastic, is sounds unbeatable - to my ears.

Not a cheap guitar in any way (and quite heavy) but, they are terrific. After I;d had it aboit 9 months I took it for a set-up to a local luthier. He dropped the action slightly and cut a compensation into the bridge for the B-string - that was all it needed. He reckoned it was one of the nicest guitars he'd seen and played (I relaised he could have been spinning me a bit of a line, but I don't think so).

If you can stretch to the price, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You were looking for a 614 and bought a SWD ? rosewood gibson vs maple taylor

These are completely opposite tonal scales ..

Ha ha - yes. I can see where you're coming from.... but.....

Essentially there are only 2 half-decent music stores near where I live so, in terms of trying guitars out, you have ot go with what they have in stock at that time.

I had no real idea what I was looking for (apart from, I knew I didn't want a Hummingbird/Dove (too elaborately decorated for my liking)). So I was fairly open-minded about the whole thing. One local store had a few used (old) Gibby's & Martins - all over £3000 so out of my range & the "old" (moustache-shaped-bridge) SWD-EC - which I really liked, but not the cut-away. The other had a few new Martins - all disappointed me & only one Hummingbird. They did, however, have the used Taylor - I hadn't really considered them previously, but I played it & was really impressed. Yes, it was different to the SWD, but still a great guitar. Then I found I could get the SWD Standard mail order & return it if I didn't like it.

Ironically, I mentioned the Taylor to a mate of mine who plays in a band and was looking for a replacement for his old Ovation - he tried it, loved it & bought it!

What's a bit odd is, since then I've played about 6 other Martins, and not liked the sound of any of them. Maybe I've just been unlucky with them.

I have a SongBird Deluxe, which is the foererunner of the SongWriter. Mine is an '01 model. It's one of those guitars that when you pick it up and hit the first chord, it just "feels right". Great feel, tone, sound projection. I use this guitar exclusively for hard flat-pickin' and bluegrass music. Can't say enough about it! Here's mine:(SongBird on the left)

DSC00118.jpg

I have an 07 SWD cutaway which I've had from new.

I love its big, growly chocolate tone. I'm quite a heavy strummer but it does respond well to the light touch too. I don't do much finger picking but always pleased (with the sound, not technique that it) with my clumsy renditions of Blackbird, May You Never or More Than Words!

I think it's a great looking guitar too with just enough bling for me.

It's not necessarily for everyone and would not be first choice if you want a Dylanesque type J45 tone (they're miles apart) but if you like to play acoustic rock/country give one a try.

One of my playing partner's main guitars is a J185 and they're a great combination with contrasting tones.

Would not hesitate to recommend a Songwriter. A great guitar.

Apart from the sight of the 2 guitars, I like the 3 dimensions of wood and only wood in this picture.

Behind, the free growing trees as Mother Nature sends them.

Then an old fashioned fence plus the jaded, still well crafted porch.

And in front, the blessed material elevated to shining designs of musical instruments waiting to deliver a song about it all : If I Was a Carpenter.

Apart from the sight of the 2 guitars, I like the 3 dimensions of wood and only wood in this picture.

Behind, the free growing trees as Mother Nature sends them.

Then an old fashioned fence plus the jaded, still well crafted porch.

And in front, the blessed material elevated to shining designs of musical instruments waiting to deliver a song about it all : If I Was a Carpenter.

Wow! Thanks, E! Great eye! Never looked at that pic that way. Just sat the guitars out there and snapped the photo!

Wow! Thanks, E! Great eye! Never looked at that pic that way. Just sat the guitars out there and snapped the photo!

Thanks larry58 – I'll spare you for the fact that we see 12 slim ribs rhymin' the 2 sets good steel strings. . .

Archived