Gibson Brands Forums

No Stairway to heaven!

Guest Farnsbarns

HA! guys like us, we don't even get a chance to wonder if they are out of our league when we don't know we are at the try outs!

Just you be careful, I seen what you can do with a guitar, and that can get you in a LOT of trouble.

LMAO! I think guitar combined with geekery (and putting your foot in it syndrome) thankfully dilutes the damage!

I can't tell his name, as he is married with kids, but a 'musician friend' (msp_biggrin.gif) said while on tour the Italian girls were the worst (best)

There was this one girl; who if he were single, he said he would have jumped at the chance of going out with her... anyway - this girl came to every concert to watch him and always smiled when she caught his eye while he was playing. (Yes the pleasant warning bells started ringing LOL)

At the end of the tour he went on his own to the hotel bar after the last gig, just wanting a beer and a chance to chill out; here she was, just sitting at the other end of the bar...I said "how in ****s name did you resist that?", he just replied in a resigned inevitability "I didn't"

Matt

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO! I think guitar combined with geekery (and putting your foot in it syndrome) thankfully dilutes the damage!

I can't tell his name, as he is married with kids, but a 'musician friend' (msp_biggrin.gif) said while on tour the Italian girls were the worst (best)

There was this one girl; who if he were single, he said he would have jumped at the chance of going out with her... anyway - this girl came to every concert to watch him and always smiled when she caught his eye while he was playing. (Yes the pleasant warning bells started ringing LOL)

At the end of the tour he went on his own to the hotel bar after the last gig, just wanting a beer and a chance to chill out; here she was, just sitting at the other end of the bar...I said "how in ****s name did you resist that?", he just replied in a resigned inevitability "I didn't"

Matt

That's bad, man. That's bad. That's trouble right there. I seen the devil, and he don't look like those pictures like they told us when we was kids.

You know, I joke about it cause sometimes you have to, but I tell you the truth. Anymore, sometimes when I get girls who hit on me just because I play guitar, it makes me sick sometimes. I spent way to much time with women who don't love me for me (my fault-not placing blame) because I let myself be fooled. When it seems they want me as a result of me being a "guitar player" I just get the feeling they are of a type that would be happy to take me for whatever they could get.

That kind of attraction ain't real. But music that causes that, that's real. I guess thats the difference?

I spent way to much time with women who don't love me for me (my fault-not placing blame) because I let myself be fooled. When it seems they want me as a result of me being a "guitar player" I just get the feeling they are of a type that would be happy to take me for whatever they could get.

whine (hwimacr.gifn, wimacr.gifn)v. whined, whin·ing, whinesv.intr.1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch:

msp_flapper.gif

Some just think of me as a Moderator.... Some even believe I don't even play or own the gear I post [confused]

I can help here duane. Just send me all your gear and I will verify to the other forumites that it is all real and playable.msp_drool.gif

Always looking to help out in anyway possible. cookie

whine (hwimacr.gifn, wimacr.gifn)v. whined, whin·ing, whinesv.intr.1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch:

msp_flapper.gif

lol..yea, seems pretty silly don't it?

But you know what? I think in some cases, you need to DEFINITELY look a gift horse in the mouth, and look hard.

I remember one time, I was talking to this girl I had a huge crush on (and still do) and she said to me "You should get a girlfriend" it was said quietly and meekly. so what does smooth talking me reply? "What?" then she quickly says "nothing".

I'm a ****ing idiot! ](*,)#-o[sad][crying]

Personally for me I could care less what the others play in a guitar store but for crying out loud turn it down!!

When I'm looking to buy I wanna hear the guitar unplugged first. Listening for the subtleties in that instrument. By the time I do plug in my mind is pretty much made up and a quick run through up and down the neck seals the deal.

How anyone determines that a guitar is the one by turning it up to 11 and then distorting it to buzz saw proportions will always be a mystery.

Just have a little consideration for the player next to you is all.

Guest FarnsBarns

My wife is the only woman I've ever met who was not in that bit impressed or interested in my music. It's a busmans holiday for her, she deals with huge bands and artists all day. I think the fact that she is fundamentaly unimpressed is part of the attraction. I know that in the early days, getting on the guest list for nearly anything was part of my attraction ;). Obviously that's not the reason we stayed together and got married.

Here you go, now you can all shout "Dude... No Stairway!" at me...

No, I will say, "Dude, play on!" That was a beautiful classical style rendition of "Stairway to Heaven". I think why most people get sick of

hearing someone play "Stairway to Heaven", is that it is not being played correctly. When it is done correctly and tastefully it is an awesome

song. This song will always stand as a classic of our era, I mean to people who came up on the song in it's hay-day. Much like Classical enthusiast

like to hear a symphony orchestra play Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Dovorak, Strauss, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Gershwin, etc.. If they

heard someone playing it incorrectly they'd cringe and say, "Man, that cat is really butchering that song." because they cherish the way it was

played by those who play the artist's song well.

The only reason the band I'm in is playing "Stairway to Heaven" is because the leader of the band heard me playing it when he invited one of his friends

to come up and jam with the band. The guy said to me, "Do you know 'Stairway to Heaven'" I said "Sure". We did it and the people went crazy. My band

leader said to me, "I didn't know you could play and sing Zeppelin (people often leave out the Led). I replied, "There's a lot you don't know about me yet."

because I was relatively new to the band. He wanted to put it in our repertoire. I said, "Only if we do it right." So I taught him all the 12-string guitar

parts and when to come in behind my 6-string part. Our keyboard player does all the flute/recorder stuff on the keyboard and it sounds awesome behind my

guitar part. Now when we play it out in the band, it brings the house down.

Personally for me I could care less what the others play in a guitar store but for crying out loud turn it down!!

When I'm looking to buy I wanna hear the guitar unplugged first. Listening for the subtleties in that instrument. By the time I do plug in my mind is pretty much made up and a quick run through up and down the neck seals the deal.

How anyone determines that a guitar is the one by turning it up to 11 and then distorting it to buzz saw proportions will always be a mystery.

Just have a little consideration for the player next to you is all.

Yeah but yeah but yeah but--

...Haven't you ever tried out an amp or a pedal in a guitar store? Sometimes it makes sense to turn it up loud. If I were testing an amp and I was planning to overdrive it naturally, I'd turn it up a bit if I could. Of course, I'd probably ask first, and probably get a "no." Maybe I shouldn't be making excuses here since I'm usually pretty quiet in music stores.

Guest FarnsBarns

Yeah but yeah but yeah but--

...Haven't you ever tried out an amp or a pedal in a guitar store? Sometimes it makes sense to turn it up loud. If I were testing an amp and I was planning to overdrive it naturally, I'd turn it up a bit if I could. Of course, I'd probably ask first, and probably get a "no." Maybe I shouldn't be making excuses here since I'm usually pretty quiet in music stores.

I'm in the market for a new amp and will be going to a shop with sound proof booths to make that decision so I know I can crank it!

The main guitar shop in Lowestoft used to have a sign up explicitly banning people from playing Stairway, Apache and Smoke on the Water. That was before Wayne's World, too... Now they probably ban solos by the Darkness instead. Or maybe they've just stopped stocking harmonizers.

I still love Stairway and I still love Freebird. There are a LOT of radio staples that I learned to hate, but these two aren't among them. They are both fantastic, fabulous songs from fantastic, fabulous bands.

This is neither here nor there, but our Cleveland station felt it would vanish if it didn't play Fool For the City at least five times a day, and I hated hated HATED that song!!!

I was at the used section at the store. I made it look like I was about to play Stairway.

I played the first three chords to warm up, then I started playing Jerry's Breakdown!

haha the sales guy behind me laughed so hard. [flapper]

Guest FarnsBarns

I was at the used section at the store. I made it look like I was about to play Stairway.

I played the first three chord to warm up, the I started playing Jerry's Breakdown!

haha the sales guy behind me laughed so hard. [flapper]

That gave me an idea, I might go round guitar shops playing stairway, get a friend to video all the reactions and make a montage video!

A couple years back, my local shop was carrying a cherry Epiphone SG double neck. I was chatting with my sales guy, and he remarked how sweet sounding but heavy the guitar was, and encouraged me to try it. I replied that I could not pick up the guitar without playing "Stairway", and he chuckled and said that it was okay. I told him I just couldn't do it, there were too many people in the store. If I was really interested in the guitar, I would have found something else to play.

Archived