Gibson Brands Forums

New SG guitar fret buzz

flatestring

Bought a Epi Sg and i'm getting buzz on E A 2nd and 3rd fret,neck relief is .015 ,String

height at 2mm first no dice ,then tried 3mm no dice , switch to 10's strings no dice

plays better at 2mm but the buzz at E and A , Argggggggg.

Any ideas from SG Owners?

Bought a Epi Sg and i'm getting buzz on E A 2nd and 3rd fret,neck relief is .015 ,String

height at 2mm first no dice ,then tried 3mm no dice , switch to 10's strings no dice

Wow! No Replies?

Do you know how to adjust the curvature of the neck on your guitar using the truss rod and "hex" wrench supplied with it when you acquired it ?

+1 on Crust ....He had the G's to say something.

Difficult subject, If I could see it I could tell you.

A bad buzz is like: well....a bad buzz.

If you are around Ann Arbor, Mich. I will be happy to look at your guitar. If not, let's start with this...

If it is above the 1st fret...

.010" at the 6th or 8th fret is normal relief.Above that is excessive.

Willy

Check for a high fret or two......or a twist in the neck. I personally think 2mm action is low. Too low. Try it higher and with a straighter neck. Also, be aware that every guitar will buzz if you really dig in to those strings!

I agree. Check to see if the 4th fret is a little too high. That could be causing it.

If any of your frets are too high the reason may be that it has become unseated slightly, to fix that, get a small block of wood, place it over the offending fret and tap the block lightly with a small hammer, don't forget to follow the fretboard radius and move the block across the fret laterally as you are tapping it so the whole fret is reseated.

Hey, and if you have to re-seat a fret as Rastus described above, be sure to support the back of the neck directly beneath the fret you are seating. You can use a block of wood with a towel folded up for cushion (so you don't dent the finish or wood). Just don't support the weight on the headstock.

Hey, and if you have to re-seat a fret as Rastus described above, be sure to support the back of the neck directly beneath the fret you are seating. You can use a block of wood with a towel folded up for cushion (so you don't dent the finish or wood). Just don't support the weight on the headstock.

Excellent point GH, something I neglected to mention.

when i got mine 15 years ago. it had fret buzz and a slightly twisted neck.. first thing i did was back off the truss rod all the way. then bring it back a bit at a time till you get the right relief . then try it . mine had a high fret that i had to take down a bit. no problem since. an over tightened truss rod will also give you problems.

Pro set-ups can be had for as little as $40. See The Guy!

• 4 weeks later...

Update is Gibson authorized repair shop said neck is twisted, high frets and

misaligned bridge pickup they sent guitar back to epiphone and epi said

they are going to replace guitar.

Pro set-ups can be had for as little as $40. See The Guy!

Archived