Gibson Brands Forums

How about...THE difinitive version, of any song?

charlie brown

The "Greatest Song" thread, made me wonder WHO, in your opinion,

has done the best/definitive interpretation, of any song writer's

tune. The writer, themselves, or some other artist. There are No

wrong answers, here. Just curious...

One Example: For Me...Dusty Springfield's version, of "The Look of Love,"

has never been equalled. There are a lot of nice versions, of that

song, but her's (again, to ME), is the best one.

What about you all? What are your favorite/best versions, of whatever

song, you like?

CB

<grin>

I loved Bea Wain's vocal on "Deep Purple" but prefer Artie Shaw's arrangement to back up Helen Forest????

<chortle>

Then there's "grassy" type stuff like Jimmy Driftwood's "Tennessee stud" that seems to sound good almost regardless who does it.

Rock... I dunno. First off, what's "rock?" Nobody can top Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode, but I've heard versions that sounded better, band and all... Then there's the Dupree's version, both '50s and recent, of "You Belong to Me" originally done by Jo Stafford that got rearranged for current breathless girl singers with a simple guitar backup that don't make it for me.

One of my favorites from the 60s days is Paul Revere and the Raiders' "Just like me" that I'll still crank big time. Nobody else did "cry me a river" like Julie London and, I remember off the top of my head Barney Kessel's guitar. Then there's Butterfield's "Born in Chicago" with Bloomfield guitar, Maria Muldaur's Midnight at the Oasis with Amos Garrett's guitar work.

I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better, Byrds... and a lotta other stuff the Byrds did. Nights in White Satin original... the update version of whiter shade of pale with older Procul Harem guys playing it... Chris LeDoux five dollar fine for whining and cowboy up; and the tribute to Chris, "Good Ride, Cowboy" by Garth Brooks.

Segovia's transcription and playing Bach's Chaconne... Chet's "Mr. Sandman," Beach Boys Little Old Lady from Pasadena... James Taylor Rockabye Sweet Baby James or fire and rain... Ian and Sylvia duet of Someday Soon. Rod Stewart Maggie May. And a lot more of lots of stuff...

<grin> Okay, I'm old. <chortle>

m

Hendrix' "Hey Joe".

Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff.

Katia and Marielle Labeque's "Maple-Leaf Rag".

and most definitely Fleetwood Mac's - NOT Santana's - "Black Magic Woman" no matter how hard Devadip tries to nick it from them....

LOL!

P.

I think The Band, specifically with Levon Helm handling vocals, are the only ones that can due "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" justice. Not Joan Baez and not Johnny Cash.

Blech. Give me Bob Marley and the Wailers any day over that sanitized sleeper version.

Odd of me, I know, but I can't stand BM's version. I don't know why. I like a load of The Wailers' tracks but always thought their "ISTS" was very weak.

Variety is, indeed, the spice of life.

P.

I think The Band, specifically with Levon Helm handling vocals, are the only ones that can due "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" justice. Not Joan Baez and not Johnny Cash.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

That and The Weight of course.

I personally think SRV did a better job with Voodoo Child.

You take that back or I'm coming over at 3am with my stereo and some psychedelic lighting to play Hendrix turned up all the way.

Archived