Gibson Brands Forums

This could have been so sweet...

Dub-T-123

But alas.. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Doublecut/Epiphone/1966-Worn-Wilshire-Tremotone.aspx

They couldn't have just put a gloss finish on it? I would have also liked if they reissued the model with a bound neck and block inlays but that's just me. I would have been totally cool with this if it had a gloss finish.

I still think it looks pretty sweet but it could have been so much better IMO.

I dunno.. What do you guys think?

This may sound half silly, but I've been about half gassing for a current version of an Epi Dot Studio specifically because of the simpler controls and... the "worn" non-shiny finish.

Whatever. <grin>

m

No way dude. That **** is made in China on the cheap.

I'm sure the price would still be too high though. They have some originals (stoptails) at GC Hollywood and they rock SO hard. The Wilshire is one of my favorites.

Difference in the Faded Studio and Gloss Studio is over 500 bucks, MSRP is 750 so street price will be around 500 or so. Gloss finish will add another 300 lets say on the low end, plus binding. **** that, I'm not gonna spend like a grand on a ****ing Epiphone. That's bullshit. The current ones sell for 300 at GC by me, so 200 for the tremotone? Are they serious? That's ****ing bullshit

The current ones also have a gloss finish.

I'm not defending their pricing. It's obviously stupid as hell... I'm just saying. Make a cool guitar or somethin

Well that's a little harsh actually. It looks cool but it seems like they could have made it ****ing awesome for not much more money. I mean if it's made in China and cheapened down they might as well make it really cool looking.

The current ones also have a gloss finish.

I'm not defending their pricing. It's obviously stupid as hell... I'm just saying. Make a cool guitar or somethin

Well that's a little harsh actually. It looks cool but it seems like they could have made it ****ing awesome for not much more money. I mean if it's made in China and cheapened down they might as well make it really cool looking.

I know what you're saying. All I'm saying is, that in their mind, they can just jack the price up because people will say its ok because its cool.

Ok but here's an example. The Sharaton (which is bound, inlayed, and glossed up the ***) is $599. I'm sure it's more expensive to make a semihollow anyways. So obviously it doesn't cost them too much to make a nice guitar. At least a nicer looking guitar.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I kinda just wanted to see this come out as some sweet guitar that I would buy. This just looks really cheap and it's not even that cheap judging by the msrp.

Ok but here's an example. The Sharaton (which is bound, inlayed, and glossed up the ***) is $599. I'm sure it's more expensive to make a semihollow anyways. So obviously it doesn't cost them too much to make a nice guitar. At least a nicer looking guitar.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I kinda just wanted to see this come out as some sweet guitar that I would buy. This just looks really cheap and it's not even that cheap judging by the msrp.

That's what I'm saying. It should be cheaper, but given their pricing, it will be expensive as ****! So going off of their pricing, if it was glossed, bound and inlaid, the ****ing thing would cost more than a Gibson for a made in china piece of ****

Hmm.. I feel weird.

Looking at them again, they actually still look really cool. But man.. I can't help but think a few minor improvements would have made a huge difference.

Also I'm not saying that Epis or guitars made in china are pieces of ****. I like a lot of them.

Hmm.. I feel weird.

Looking at them again, they actually still look really cool. But man.. I can't help but think a few minor improvements would have made a huge difference.

Also I'm not saying that Epis or guitars made in china are pieces of ****. I like a lot of them.

Yeah, cool, but for the money, IMO way better deals to be had.

I just think its over priced for something that is made in China is all. for 500 for a solidbody, I think it should be at least made somewhere else

I'll reserve judgment, until I see/play one. I think they look pretty

cool! And, as long as they're well made, and finished, within that matte

finish...what the heck?

As to being "Made In China?" What isn't, that's "affordable," anymore?

That's our fault, anyway. We allowed it, to happen,

by demanding all the products we want, at bottom dollar prices.

The Corporations, allowed it, by needing bigger and bigger profits, to not

only satisfy themselves, but their "shareholder" mass, as well.

We can't have that, with the worker wages, and profit expectations, by our

companies, here. So, they send the work, overseas. You want "American,"

you'll have to pay for it. Besides, Epiphone is Gibson. Gibson controls

quality, not the Chinese workers.

And, to me, the overall quality, of Epi guitars, is wonderful...especially, at their price point.

CB

I totally get what you guys are saying and like I said I think it looks cool but IMO $500 is too much when you look at some of their other models and compare features and prices.

Their obviously jacking up the price because it's a "reissue" even though it's obvously not a reissue.

I'm with CB on this one...

Regardless where it's made, a set neck solidbody is a world of different from a bolt-on neck, regardless of whence it came or manufacturer name. Add the various sorts of hardware - it's gotta cost at least X cash. Add truss rod, fingerboard with frets and the associated costs of that, etc., etc.

Say the thing cost only $100 to manufacture, then another X to transport; Gibson then has various shipping costs to distributors. So say it costs a distributor no less than $200. They've got people to pay and - as with MF, "free" shipping. That's all gotta be figured in. I'd say $4-500 is probably likely regardless whence it came.

There's a world of difference between a custom maker who may be able to make a living with a guitar a week at $1,000 and a bigger operation. And frankly, I'll wager that most iterations of this guitar will have roughly equivalent quality to those 52 "hand made" pieces.

Don't get me wrong, in ways I'm probably more critical where it counts of a lotta major corporations as well as major government bureaucracies - but let's be realistic about this. Assuming you have the skills, you probably could make a heckuva solidbody guitar for under $200 if you giver yourself $0 for labor costs. I don't know anybody who has to make a living at it who can do so from scratch.

m

Archived