Gibson Brands Forums

Walking to school

Californiaman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can still get it for $3.49 a gallon at the local Mapco. Most places are 8 to 10 cents higher though. Costs me between $50 and $70 bucks to fill up, depending on how low the tank is when I stop.

My '97 Ford F-150 gets 17 mpg.... and I have to drive it for work... as a service tech all over the midstate. [unsure]

When I was in grade school, we lived a half a block from the school and walked everyday. Rode the school bus later until my best friend got a car and license [thumbup]

According to the articles I've read on recoverable oil, most of the " low hanging fruit " as far as oil in the Middle East has been recovered. That being said, the North American continent , by estimate, is sitting on more oil than the entire Arab world combined. Now, if you can ignore the shrill cries of the environmental left of our political machine, we should go tap those reserves. In 2001, after the attack on NYC, the debate began about recoverable oil here in the states, and the mantra of " It"ll take 10 years to develop those resources to the point where we see significant relief at the pumps", was trotted about by the politicians and nothing has been done. Now, I'm not by any means a MIT mathematician , but 2001 + 10 = ???????????????[cursing] . Come on kids..... 2011. With the on going research into " Blue Fuel " , and other alternatives , we will all still be paying through the noses for any form of fuel. As we all know the energy companies are going to want to see an immediate R. O. I. for any fuel they may bring in the future.

GAS is costing me $1000.00 + per guitar.....[flapper][unsure] :unsure: [crying][lol] .....

I do walk to school as well.......It's a 20 step walk to my computer,

and another 4 steps to my recording studio !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Port Saint Lucie

Or Port Saint Lousy or Poor Sh**ty and Lousy, however you wanna say it. It sucks, a few miles south I could be living in Stuart and Long Boarding everywhere. Unfortunately PSL is where my family decided to set up shop with our business so now I'm kinda stuck.

We don't do business in FSL, but we do a lot of business in West Palm Beach, (PalmTran).

I was in Miami and then drove down to Key West 2 weeks ago, (looked at a burned bus.

Its due to the value of the dollar.

Do other areas have a seasonal blend? I hear that every Spring and Fall as to why

prices in the Midwest rise, funny they never fall in Winter or Summer.

I go to Costco for gas. Its usually a few penny's cheaper.

It drives me crazy. The combustible engine was invented in late 1800's. Is there anything else invented 140 years ago that we are still using the same way? For the sake of the tax money and the big profits, they keep up chained to the gas pump like some crack dealer, when there are many ways to build efficient, affordable transportation that would loose us from the dependency on oil.

It's the Golden Rule...He who has the GOLD, makes the RULES!

It drives me crazy. The combustible engine was invented in late 1800's. Is there anything else invented 140 years ago that we are still using the same way? For the sake of the tax money and the big profits, they keep up chained to the gas pump like some crack dealer, when there are many ways to build efficient, affordable transportation that would loose us from the dependency on oil.

It's the Golden Rule...He who has the GOLD, makes the RULES!

It's funny that you should say that Daryl, when I was at University, one of my Professors told me that during the second world war when he was serving with the British Army in North Africa, they had water powered motors, but they destroyed them after they had finished with them. I don’t know if there is any truth in this story, but he never lied to me about anything else.

Makes you think, it would be very difficult to tax water would it not?

Ian.

It's funny that you should say that Daryl, when I was at University, one of my Professors told me that during the second world war when he was serving with the British Army in North Africa, they had water powered motors, but they destroyed them after they had finished with them. I don't know if there is any truth in this story, but he never lied to me about anything else.

Makes you think, it would be very difficult to tax water would it not?

Ian.

Why would it be hard to tax? They know EXACTLY how much water I use at my house, ('cept for my well.....but if it meant tax revenue, they'd put a meter on it too).

Actually if there's one thing that pretty much all politicians and economists will agree with is that much of the current increase is due to market "speculation" over and above other factors.

In fact, check other commodity prices and I think you'll start to see even more increases in foods and clothing due to similar market factors.

I got a warning of that from a state senator friend back in January and ... yup.

I'll leave it to the politicians internationally to play their games, but it seems to be a bit more odd than similar price rises in the past.

As for water engines, etc., I don't think so. There were similar claims way back in the 1950s but nobody has managed to have any sort of documentation. Water injection has been used in some internal combustion engines in different ways, but they still ran on petrochemical or variations of alcohol.

I'm reminded, though, of my 1958 Chrysler that got nearly 30 miles per gallon at 80 mph, carried six passengers in comfort, etc., etc. and over half the gear for a five-piece rock band.

It did not have air conditioning, no air bags, no anti-smog computers running the engine, etc. I could rebuild the thing pretty much myself excluding the transmission. Now? Federal regs have more than doubled the effective cost of vehicles that... get under 30 mpg at 65 and carry 4 folks sort of, almost, and maybe a guitar and Deluxe Reverb. And there's no way I'd mess with the engine so all maintenance and parts seem to be more than quadrupled. Yup, progress.

m

Guest FarnsBarns

Water powered engines are certainly not new, the difficulty is that you need to separate the oxygen and hydrogen in the water to burn it. This takes a huge amount of electrical energy. We'd be better off with electric cars but the point everyone misses there is that these are really coal powered cars for the foreseeable future as most of our electricity is generated in coal powered generators.

I think your professor may have been being coy and talking about steam, steam power is also coal power really, the water/steam just transmits the energy from coal into kinetic energy.

Tidal power is the way forwards IMHO. big underwater turbines all around the Southern hemisphere where the currents are very strong and unimpeded all the way around the world. totally renewable and clean. They're building one of the coast of Scotland in the North Sea as a case study.

Farns...

Actually electric cars have been around in various ways for over a century. Except in warehouse types of situations they haven't worked well.

Battery efficiency is one problem. That tends at this point of technology on climate to a large extent. I can guarantee that not many batteries work very well under -20 F. There's no way I can see with current technology that a "family car" could heat the cabin and safely and reliably move people in winter where I live. Someday perhaps. Not now. Heck, it's enough problem with internal combustion engines when it's 70+ miles between petrol stations.

Funny thing to me is how these questions become cyclical. In the 50s, 70s, 90s... now again.

Frankly I think all we've done is make personal vehicle operation increasingly expensive to the point that it seems some folks want us back in the first decades of the 1900s. But then, it was a much slower lifestyle back then, and far less comfortable.

m

I could not agree more. This is a point I have been trumpeting the last ten years. The combustion engine is twentieth century technology. Come on!

It's not a matter of tax money and oil profits.

It's a matter of technology for "personal transportation" power that is both safe and doesn't cause more problems than internal combustion engine safety.

Batteries at this point don't come close to making it. In socal and other warmer climates, maybe, but not beyond. The batteries don't function well enough in cold climates and the chemistry isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

Nobody yet has come up with a power source that will move personal vehicles as well as the updated variations of internal combustion engines. External combustion hasn't worked well either, for various reasons, although it was tried at several points.

Whatever technology is used must be capable of converting something into rotation of wheels of some sort at our current levels of capability since anti-gravity ain't been invented.

I s'pose some variation of nuclear might work at some point, combined with a closed system of heat conversion, but then you've got heat and radiation to worry about.

How about some chemical conversion to produce electricity? I'm not aware of anything yet that works as well on a cost or efficiency basis as an internal combustion engine.

Again, in colder climates one has to consider sufficient energy also to allow relative travel range and keeping occupants of the vehicle warm. In warmer climates one has to consider added heat from certain types of equipment.

I agree "there otta be," but I ain't seen it. And when I was in grade school they talked about safe fusion reactors, etc., cold fusion, etc., and ain't seen anything yet. Fuel cells? not practical yet for the purpose. Turbines = too hot.

m

Guest FarnsBarns

It seems to be possible to extract zero-point energy from liquids although it has only been done by accident. Once we master that, all our energy needs are sorted.

With regards to locomotion it's different, we'll always need a way to store and carry energy for vehicular transport and combustible liquids are the best solution for the time being. Bio-fuels seemed like the answer until it became apparent that to make enough would require using most of the planets farmable surface to grow the crops.

I have read about the use of carbon-nano-tubes for batteries that should be a game changer when the technology is ready but for now, as Milo says, batteries are just not practical and while they are still charged buy a supply generated by burning coal, we're just moving the problem, not solving it.

Milo.... I couldn't agree more...which is why oil is the best way.... it saved the wales from extension, and is STILL the cheapest and best way to run vehicles.

I know the call it "Fossel fule" but there ain't no way there were EVER that many dinosaures....and everything I've seen dead for long periods of time don't turn to anyting like oil anyway...more like dust!

Guest FarnsBarns

Milo.... I couldn't agree more...which is why oil is the best way.... it saved the wales from extension, and is STILL the cheapest and best way to run vehicles.

I know the call it "Fossel fule" but there ain't no way there were EVER that many dinosaures....and everything I've seen dead for long periods of time don't turn to anyting like oil anyway...more like dust!

That'll be fossilised trees then. [rolleyes][flapper]

That'll be fossilised trees then. [rolleyes][flapper]

HAHAHAHA.....there must have been a LOT of trees around once, eh?

And then they somehow turned to oil....and shale....and coal.......!! when I let the weeds go in my yard, I don't get oil...... I get more weeds!

I'm utterly convinced some day if we haven't overpopulated our planet to the extent of a Malthusian extinction, that fusion somehow will convert anything into power.

I also believe that some form of broadcast power may be possible, even if impractical for other considerations on earth.

But neither ain't gonna happen in the lifetime of anyone on this forum.

In the mean time, I honestly fear that the "anti-energy" lobby will see me ending my life in less physical comfort than my great grandmother who was still getting her U.S. Civil War widow's pension when she died in 1947. What they can't make illegal, they tax or regulate out of existence. She did have a coal furnace, but it hadda be recharged a cupla times during the night, and ... air conditioning was just a dream not all movie theaters and grocery stores had. A car? That much money? No way. Public transport? What's that?

m

Archived