Gibson Brands Forums

so... many... amps!

Silenced Fred

I find the number of amps laughable. :lol:

Just a singer and a guitar player, huh? Ha, that'll show Jack White and those Black Keys!

IMO, the song was boring, the tone was cool (and achievable with fewer amps), and the singer would sound better with less gain. If I had to put it into a couple words, I'd say "Too Garage". Not enough gong on to justify the absence of a drummer and bass player. When the Black Keys or Jack White do this sort of thing, there's movement within the chords, there's changes, Jack's usually playing some sort of bass line against a melody or chord change. There's dynamics.

This sounded like 3 minutes and 30 seconds of intro with no climax.

But I have to admit, those amps are quite a spectacle. =D>

Hotel tries very hard to sound like that it's been a signature sound for years and as for VV well gotta love that voice even if it is a 2-3 pack a day smokers voice.

I'm not trying to talk you out of liking it, taste is taste, and I, for one, like some pretty questionable entertainment. But let's call this spade a spade. Hotel (Jamie Hince), was in British Punk bands until 2000. VV was in a British Punk group called Discount until 2000. The sounds of those bands were nothing like this, they were typical Punk tones.

Now, Jack White puts together the White Stripes at least Three Years before that. Their first album was released in 1999, a year before the Kills was formed. Based on this evidence, I'd have to say that "The Kills" were RCA's answer to "The White Stripes", Warner Brothers hot new act. Nothing new in the topsy turvy world of Entertainment, one record company tries to copy the success of the other.

I'm not trying to talk you out of liking it, taste is taste, and I, for one, like some pretty questionable entertainment. But let's call this spade a spade. Hotel (Jamie Hince), was in British Punk bands until 2000. VV was in a British Punk group called Discount until 2000. The sounds of those bands were nothing like this, they were typical Punk tones.

Now, Jack White puts together the White Stripes at least Three Years before that. Their first album was released in 1999, a year before the Kills was formed. Based on this evidence, I'd have to say that "The Kills" were RCA's answer to "The White Stripes", Warner Brothers hot new act. Nothing new in the topsy turvy world of Entertainment, one record company tries to copy the success of the other.

Don't disagree at all but it works there still turning out albums and there sound is recognizable and still fun and I still think VV is hot. [smile]

That sounds true, but, the truth is that the white stripes did anything new? I thought it was more of a revival.

Nothing wrong with copying something great, either. We should all do as such.

That sounds true, but, the truth is that the white stripes did anything new? I thought it was more of a revival.

IMO the White Stripes definately did something new. Why do you think everyone tried to copy them haha

Don't disagree at all but it works there still turning out albums and there sound is recognizable and still fun and I still think VV is hot. [smile]

I'll be the first to say, if it works and the audience digs it, Do It!

Perhaps what The White Stripes did wasn't "Completely Original", since he borrows heavily from Lightening Hopkins and has his musical root deeply embedded in Delta, Mississippi, and Piedmont Blues. However, there was nothing like The White Stripes when they took to the scene. Think about it, in 1997 they were surrounded by the likes of Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Spin Doctors, Eminiem, the Nirvana Wanna-be craze was in full swing. Jack White took a big chance and did what he felt and what he loved in an environment that was very hostile to anyone that mixed Blues and Rock. And lets be honest, Jack White mixed Blues and Rock in a very new way.

IMO the White Stripes definately did something new. Why do you think everyone tried to copy them haha

[thumbup]

The white stripes did try stuff and do new things but was any of it really ground breaking and monumental...nothing stands out in my mind so I am going to have to say no, not to mention that the sound of Jack Whites 23942904580345 other bands is almost the same. ~shrug~

I really enjoyed the way that girl sung that song, I am a fan of the gruff voice, especially since at the end you can hear her say "Thanks" or something and its a clear sweet voice, that aside I did NOT like the guy singing over top that didn't tickle my fancy, and as previously mentioned the lack of any real in depth riffs or use of scales in the guitar playing made it a little repetitive, by no means am I saying you need to go in depth but to me this song was lacking some emotion. That is all.

The white stripes did try stuff and do new things but was any of it really ground breaking and monumental...nothing stands out in my mind so I am going to have to say no, not to mention that the sound of Jack Whites 23942904580345 other bands is almost the same. ~shrug~

Monumental? Only time will tell.

Ground Breaking? Apparently, since there are imitators. Doesn't have to stand out in my mind in order to be Ground Breaking, just has to explore new territory that catches on. Doesn't have to be "Completely Revolutionary" to "Ground Breaking".

Look at SRV, from a strict viewpoint, he was another Texas Blues Player. The impact he had on a generation of Guitarists and Blues enthusiasts is monumental, and his unique approach to Blues and Rock was Ground Breaking. If Jack White's impact is felt for generations, it could be Monumental.

Ya know, I'm not a huge Jack White fan. I appreciate him more than like his music. Which is probably why I don't care for The Kills, there's less to appreciate about them. Besides, I'm a Cover Artist who writes stuff that sounds like Rick Derringer! I'm not putting down us imitators, Just pointing us out. [flapper]

Archived