Gibson Brands Forums

MM Explorer vs Epi Nighthawk

dem00n

This is a tough one!Ive played the Nighthawk and it sounds and feels great. I haven't played the MM yet, but i also have to remeber the fact i already have one.

Alright, the Nighthawk is a Mini Hum/single coil/humbucker where the MM is just one pickup. I could upgrade all the electronics on either of them no problem. Im not a fan of the single coil on the nighthawk, sounds kinda dull.

epiphone-nighthawk-custom-reissue-460-100-460-70.jpg

Oh and if i do get the MM, it would be blue.

main-blue-530-85.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really not a fan of the MM's...IMO they look cheap and childish..(Maybe they look better in person?) The Nighthawk on the otherhand, is a great idea, and would probably be a great sounding guitar after a few electronic changes. Again this just IMO.

I have a black nighthawk and it's "ok" for me. What I do enjoy is that I love all of the sounds with the pup configurations and the coil tap. It's a very versatile sounding guitar. If you need multiple sounds and like the feel then the Nigh Hawk is the way to go.

And Seymour Duncan makes a replacement pup for the slanted humbucker.

I can't believe this is even a contest, the Epi Nighthawk is made with better materials and is a solid layout. Its got nothing but positive reviews from people who've acquired them, and we all know how much guitar players like to ***** if it isn't up to snuff.

Personally I think many people's opinions here would be completely different if the logo wasn't on the headstock of either guitar.

Get the NIghthawk and be done with this.

Talking about logos, personally, after owning 3 Epis I think Gibson should be ashamed of putting the Epiphone logo on this farsery (if that isn't a word it should be) of guitars made in the far east. The Epi Nighhawk may get good reviews but not everybody is impressed.

Having said that Dem00n is a metal dude for the most part, why get a Nighthawk?

I know I am done trying to get the "versatile" guitar...why? I know what I like.

I agree it is not even a contest, I would get the Explorer.

Talking about logos, personally, after owning 3 Epis I think Gibson should be ashamed of putting the Epiphone logo on this farsery (if that isn't a word it should be) of guitars made in the far east. The Epi Nighhawk may get good reviews but not everybody is impressed.

Having said that Dem00n is a metal dude for the most part, why get a Nighthawk?

I know I am done trying to get the "versatile" guitar...why? I know what I like.

I agree it is not even a contest, I would get the Explorer.

\m/ '.' \m/

Neither. In that price range, I'd go for a faded V or SG. If you really want an Explorer, they made a faded Explorer, you could pick up a used one. I don't care for the Nighthawk and the MM Explorers look weird to me, although the black SG MMs look pretty badazz [biggrin] It's your cash, but I think you could do MUCH better for the money.

I'm kinda surprise, this should be easy.

One is made by Gibson in the USA and one is made by whoever somewhere else.

I pause here to insert the fact that there are lots of poeple that say they want Epi's to be made in the US, but that wouldn't happen, because they wouldn't be Epi's, they would be Gibsons. There, my freinds, is your affordable American made Epi.

Back to the guitars themselves. The feel? the neck shape? Problably the American one (Epiphones have decent neck shapes, never really a bad one, but one of the things Gibsons have had is great feeling necks, sometimes magical when you find the right one). The wood? The finish?

So where do each guitar cut the corners for cost and which features are more important? The Epi may look more like a higher end guitar out of the box, and kudos for making something so nice with plywood and poly. You can upgrade that so far. Which brings up the last point.

Full single ply pickgaurds, tastefully done. Pickgards are cheap to have made to order, and they hide routes. You could spend way more on pickups. choose whatever pup combo you want, choose what and where you want the knobs and switches and order a gaurd and start hacking.

So what am I missing?

Can't say, haven't tried the Epi Nighthawk yet. However, the dull Single Coil was an issue on the original run of Gibson Nighthawks (which is why I went with the Two Pickup model), everything else you said about it sounds like the experience I've had with my '95. If it does match up the the original Gibby, then you could do a lot worse than the Nighthawk.

I like the Melody Makers, but there's not enough tonal variance in one pick up. But that's just me.

I'm kinda surprise, this should be easy.

So where do each guitar cut the corners for cost and which features are more important? The Epi may look more like a higher end guitar out of the box, and kudos for making something so nice with plywood and poly. You can upgrade that so far. Which brings up the last point.

So what am I missing?

You're missing proper information;

The Epiphone Nighthawk custom is made with Mahogany body and neck, AAA flamed maple top and ebony fretboard, with MOP inlays.

The Epiphone Nighthawk custom is made with Mahogany body and neck, AAA flamed maple top and ebony fretboard, with MOP inlays.

Probably imitation mahogany with an alder top with AAA flamed veneer, also I highly doubt they have genuine MOP, R9s don't even have real MOP fretboard inlays.

Probably imitation mahogany with an alder top with AAA flamed veneer, also I highly doubt they have genuine MOP, R9s don't even have real MOP fretboard inlays.

Sigh,

Can you point out where the Asterisk is saying that it's not what it claims to be on their website? If it's false advertising then I was misinformed and I'll have to examine it for myself.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Epiphone/Nighthawk-Custom-Reissue/Specs.aspx

I wanted this guitar because it was unique, with a string through body, single cutaway, glued neck and unique split coil setup, I don't care if it was made anywhere other than America as long as I feel that it's worth my money.

Who knows it might be worth it, it might not, it may even be a collectable someday.

thank you for the correction..I think you are proplably right, and one thing I can tell you for sure is that I don't know the exact construction and finishes for either guitar, and I am making generalizations. It may not be fair.

But, I think perhaps you fail to see my point. I am not trying to say that Epiphones are bad guitars at all, or even saying that guitars made by outside contracters are bad guitars. Not saying that cheap guitars are a bad thing.

The whole point I AM trying to make is that there are advantages and differences to a Gibson vs. an Epiphone. When it comes to cutting cost in places, the things that are NOT cut out in the case of a cheap Gibson are things the Epi never had in the first place, things that are inherent to all Gibsons. Namely, the place it comes from and the poeple who make it. The point is that there are many who want a "gibson" (for what that is worth) in a cheaper version LIKE the cost of an Epi.

Others have stated their opinions and reasons, and I stated mine as it related to the poster's question, and I still think it is a no brainer. Especially the point about upgrading and/or mooding the guitar, which was brought up.

Now look here man, if you ask me the Epi (all Epi's) are fine guitars, and of quality and are great for the money. There is nothing to knock about them. But if and when it comes down to a comparism between Gibsons and Epiphones, then it will seem they are being knocked. It is simply not an equal comparism nor is it supposed to be.

Archived