Gibson Brands Forums

fave female vocals?

S t e v e

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laura Nyro..... anyone remember/know of her?.....unique talent.

..... rare television performance from mid sixties. Unfortunately, she passed away about a decade ago. Known more as a writer of other's hits..... Stoned Soul Picnic, Eli's Coming, And When I Die, Sweet Eyed Blindness, Wedding Bell Blues.... But, in my opinion, though, no one came close to her performances of her own songs (almost invariably solo, as a band hampered her subtle tempo changes/nuances).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjdowef1oKE&list=FLyrqNIhNDXWZ3ybnN7HL_zQ&index=556&feature=plpp_video

Hmmmmm....

Can't forget these greats...

This one is almost forgotten, but Bea Wain was a great torch singer. The Larry Clinton version of the song was #1 in 1939. Helen Forrest with Artie Shaw was a better arrangement that's also on Youtube...

These girls set the stage for all we hear nowadays in different styles... M

CB...

I find it interesting how some of these ladies were still singing well past their 60s while others... grew old far too quickly.

OTOH, I think the blues and swing styles were not so entirely angled at the young, nor country, hence the longevity of women in those fields. OTOH, a lotta the early girl blues singers had ... problems.

Some of the "rock" girls managed to reinvent themselves as serious and very versatile singers rather than birds on a wire, too, like Linda R.

m

CB...

I find it interesting how some of these ladies were still singing well past their 60s while others... grew old far too quickly.

OTOH, I think the blues and swing styles were not so entirely angled at the young, nor country, hence the longevity of women in those fields. OTOH, a lotta the early girl blues singers had ... problems.

Some of the "rock" girls managed to reinvent themselves as serious and very versatile singers rather than birds on a wire, too, like Linda R.

m

Two things...Real Talent, and a determination not to become irrelevant! I.E. being willing (and able)

to reinvent themselves. The ones that "fade away," don't have that determination, or, they've had

unfortunate circumstances, intervene. We've lost too many, to self-destructive behavior, too! [crying]

CB

One thing I've noticed about girl singers is that I think they have a rougher time on the road than guys do.

For example, one girl who had a cupla Warner albums in the early 80s was a guitar student of mine in the '70s. I asked her in the early 90s why she quit while she was still charting songs and she said simply that the road was very, very difficult. She did a bit more study and the last I heard was a CPA.

It seems to me that for any group on the road a "family style" life is what it takes for a long-term career, even if there's no blood or marriage relationship. Kitty Wells was still doing small county fairs into the late 1970s, for example, but she was married to her band leader.

I've a hunch that so many bands break up because artistically and/or personally even while they're making good money because they just don't get along like family any more.

m

At the pink floyd concert in earls court ,london , dark side of the moon, the 3 girls , backup singers , have to be my favorite , don't know there names.

Toni Tennille sang on The Wall album, and has performed with PF in many concerts over the years. She is one dam good singer.

At the pink floyd concert in earls court ,london , dark side of the moon, the 3 girls , backup singers , have to be my favorite , don't know there names.

+1 Sadly they change all the time but the ones on Delicate Sound of Thunder were the best I've heard/seen even though Delicate Sound of Thunder isn't my favorite Floyd live DVD/CD/Big round thing with a small hole in the middle . . .

There have been several women whose singing has given me goosebumps they are:in no particular order: 1.Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles- also the most beautiful woman in rock IMHO 2. Linda Ronstadt 3.Emmy Lou Harris 4.Suzie Boggus 5.Connie Frances 6.Enya 7.Melanie (Saftka-who wrote "Brand New Key","Lay Down(Candles In The Rain)" but by far her best songs were her cover of Ruby Tuesday and one of her own called"Some Say I Got The Devil" 8. Kate Bush

Archived