Gibson Brands Forums

Barry Manilow

LarryUK

The above artist has just been singing on live tv here in the UK. I've always liked him, but he was totally dreadful just now.

Out of tune. At 67 I think it's time to hang his boots up. Why do they keep going when they've just not got it anymore?

He's always been dreadful. It's just worse now.

Actually, he's always had more talent in his little finger than...

Never mind.

I do like watching recent footage of Elton John - when it comes times for someone to sing a high note, he looks off-stage - there it is! And no one looks more appreciative than he does.

Brilliant.

The above artist has just been singing on live tv here in the UK. I've always liked him, but he was totally dreadful just now.

Out of tune. At 67 I think it's time to hang his boots up. Why do they keep going when they've just not got it anymore?

This reminds me of...

Elvis Costello

He lives here in Vancouver and was doing a little "show" if you can call it that for one of the hockey games last week, wow just wow this guy was all washed up and haggard. I had pretty similar words thinking to myself why would you even go out and do that, sure you might think you look good or your having a good time but it sounded like someone was beating a cat in a burlap sack. They just cant give up, remember that old saying its better to burn out then to fade away, music is a prime example of it.

Money.

Who's gonna quit when there's money to be made?

It's kinda of like Gibson with sigs. Yes, there's a sh!tload, it's been over done, and some of these guys are on their 3rd or 4th sig, but they still bring in tons of money.

Money, money, money.

Oh wait . . . . . . that's mony, mony, mony. B)

Yes - I caught a few dreadful minutes of BM on TV...

Also, he now has the most bizarre face - it's incapable of any movement above the top-lip!!!

I admit I've never liked his MoR music - but he clearly has lots of fans around the world.

He was dire tonight, though!

Oh dear!

Well...

I was hand-fed a steady diet of Barry Manilow growing up.

That and Dan Fogelberg and Kingston Trio and... eh. [unsure] I'll stop there!

I've recovered, thank you.

Figured out Led Zeppelin last year.

Yes, last year.

I'm a late bloomer

[crying][flapper][thumbup]

But! At least I bloom eh?!

on a POSITIVE note --

I just got to see Robert Plant with Band of Joy last weekend and HE. IS. STILL. FREAKING. AWESOME.

He doesn't sing the Zep songs the same way as he used to, but he's still a fabulous performer.

Very very nice show.

Laid back, low-key and mellow tho, so if you go, catch up on the recent offerings so you know what to expect. As it's different but good.

HA! I have now demonstrated my capacity to fully derail thread topics.

hee hee hee

Linda

Actually, he's always had more talent in his little finger than...

Never mind.

I do like watching recent footage of Elton John - when it comes times for someone to sing a high note, he looks off-stage - there it is! And no one looks more appreciative than he does.

Brilliant.

Mr. Manilow is heteralsexual...

But, yet, he is more gay than Elton John.

Linda, I saw Plant & Band of Joy last year....

Fantastic show. Great interaction with the crowd.

As you say, the Zep songs he does are clearly carefully chosen and brilliantly arranged (er, and performed, obviously).

Barry Manilow... okay... [tongue]

I saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss perform on HDNet channel about a year ago. Excellent!

Saw Plant & Krauss also. Very good performance!

I saw a deal on him on tv many years ago. It showed footage of his some of his concerts as well as interviews.

The truth is, even his old concerts in his prime the singing was a challenge for him.

He came across as a man who is a class act..didn't take himself too seriously, and even joked about his abilities. He considers himself lucky to have been able to have a career, and as far as how well he can sing and performing, he said at the time he was happy to keep doing it for his fans to spite the fact his singing is not deserving of such.

It's tough watching the older artists try to do what they can't anymore. There are some exceptions. I saw Ronnie Milsap at the Opry a few months ago and he nailed the high note on the end like it was nothing!

Manilow had a HUGE following back in the day. Scores of women swooned at the mention of his name. My sisters included.

I've witnessed many performers who in their twilight years kept performing long after their 'gift' had begun to fade.

The main reason is they can still sell out an auditorium. True, they would never get a recording deal if they tried to break into the business with their current musical abilities, but people who really, really love the artist can look past that just to be in his/her presence. These are the people who swooned and bought up his LPs back in the day. People who, now, have more money to spend. By and large the current venues are smaller and a ticket will get you within spitting distance of their idol.

I suspect he will hang up his microphone when he can't sell enough tickets to pay the rent on the venue.

Sing on Barry!

It's tough watching the older artists try to do what they can't anymore. There are some exceptions. I saw Ronnie Milsap at the Opry a few months ago and he nailed the high note on the end like it was nothing!

Singing . . . .

Milsap +

Manilow -

Linda, I saw Plant & Band of Joy last year....

Fantastic show. Great interaction with the crowd.

As you say, the Zep songs he does are clearly carefully chosen and brilliantly arranged (er, and performed, obviously).

Yup!! Amen to all that.

He writes the songs that write the songs... that sounds serious... [rolleyes]

Actually -- THAT song was not written by Manilow.

(I just learned that this year, LOL)

It's by Bruce Johnston who is a top-notch songwriter in his own right.

Linda

Archived