Gibson Brands Forums

Help...crack in New LP Std

Liter O'Cola

Hello Gibson Community,

New user here....wish my first post could be better news.

Got a new LP Standard (in Desert Burst), which I love. I've had it for a little while, but due to crazy circumstances, haven't been able to really play it until recently. [blink] When I opened the case to give it a triumphant play, I noticed a crack in the cutaway area of the guitar, which had never been there. I mean when I say the guitar is "new", I mean the 'plek'd' and tailpiece stickers are still on, so I was really surprised to see this. The crack is deep enough so that it's actually raised from the surface, meaning that you can feel the jagged edge if you run your finger across it.

Can anyone help? After playing a LP Studio for years, I was super jazzed to finally get a really nice guitar so I'm pretty bummed about this. Pictures of the crack below--you can see it running almost parallel with the binding).

2hn3ofb.jpg

28jyxrk.jpg

10hm8h5.jpg

It would appear that the top is delaminating from the body. Warranty work if you're the original owner. It's either that or it was there before as a factory defect (poor sanding before it was finished) and you didn't notice. How (and where) was it stored? Humidity/temp changes can do that over time.

It would appear that the top is delaminating from the body. Warranty work if you're the original owner. It's either that or it was there before as a factory defect (poor sanding before it was finished) and you didn't notice. How (and where) was it stored? Humidity/temp changes can do that over time.

Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, I'm the original owner. True...of course I can't say with 100% certainty that it was not there when I bought it; maybe I simply didn't notice until later. It was always in the case, and stored in my room. I live in southern California, and we've got very moderate temperatures, so the guitar wasn't subjected to drastic changes in climate. Any idea what warranty work exactly entails in this case?

While those are good pictures, something like that you can't really tell. It is one of 2 things:

Gibsons or any guitar will shrink and expand during it's time. No matter how nicely it is finished. You can look at any new Gibson, especially at the headstock, and it is completely flat and flawless. Look at an older one regardless of wear and the seams where the logo is, the seams where any pieces of wood come together, and they will not be as perfectly flat. Eventually, the finish may crack at the seams in some places. This, is not an issue or concern. If anything, it is a result of finishing a guitar to a level better than it could sustain through time.

OR..it is what has been suggested above, that the top maple cap is missing some glue and has more movement from the expansion of the wood, causing the finish crack. If that is the case, it should be covered by warrenty if you are the origional purchaser. I say SHOULD because I am not Gibson or represent Gibson, but really, it is covered.

If it's not that "old," send it back, and get it replaced, or repaired (usually their option).

Go through your dealer, first. Have all sales reciepts, or copies. If you sent in the

warranty, they should have it on file, and be able to reference it, by serial number,

that way.

Good Luck!

CB

Of course I don't have the guitar in front of me, but....... I think that your making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

This looks to be typical of a finish-only crack due to expansion/contraction of dissimilar materials. This is the seam where the maple top is glued to the mahogany body, and maple and mahogany expand and contract at different rates. Eventually this will happen around the logo, binding, neck joint, and anywhere else their are seams or stress points. It's just the way it is.

I doubt this is a warranty issue, and I'm sure I would not want to give up a guitar I was otherwise satisfied with for repair (refinish) or replacement because of a small finish crack.

both my SG and my Les Paul have them cracks in various places

the SG took 5 years to surface and my les paul about a year and it is always where two different woods have been joint together such as the fretboard to the neck (crack along part of the length of the neck) and in my les pauls case near enough exactly where yours is.

to me they are slightly raised but not enough to hurt my hand or even alter the functionality of the guitar.

it hurts me when my Gibsons get hurt especially when I brought my first one but if the crack is the same as mine it is not going to structually alter the guitar its merely cosmetic

As bad as it looks on a $2500 guitar, this is not the top coming loose. It is simply a finish crack, and it was caused by some form of temperature or humidity fluctuation. It probably will not get any worse. Gibson will not warranty finish issues like this either :( Just try to keep wax and polishes out of the crack. Wax will make the crack white and more noticeable, and polish sinking through and absorbing in to the wood may cause the finish to lift of the wood. P.S. the binding in this area is wide.....you could take a razor blade and scrape all finish from the binding (like they do at the factory) and the crack will be history! :D

Well...what's "interesting" to me, is that these "finish cracks" appear,

so soon! 2 of my Les Paul's ('76 Deluxe, and '80 Custom) are

35 and 31 years old, respectively, and have not one "finish crack,"

anywhere. They are "babied," I fully admit, but they are also played...

a Lot! I live in the central US, and the humidity fluctuates, quite

a bit. The guitars are wiped down, after playing, polished regularly,

but not excessively, and kept in their cases, when not in use.

My Les Paul Classic, which is only 11 years old, has none of that, as

well. So, I would (at the very least) take it to a Gibson authorized

repair place, and have it looked at. That just doesn't seem "normal"

to me, after the short periods of time, you all are talking about. ???

CB

I agree with CB.

Although I personally haven't experienced any of these kinds of finish cracks, I've noticed that Gibsons produced in the last few years or so seem to be inordinately represented with complaints about this type of finish crack, on this forum and others. I'm talking about finish cracks along joint seems, whether it's binding and wood seams, or wood on wood seams. There was a period about a year or so ago where there were several complaints here about nasty cracks along fingerboard/neck/binding seams. And despite what Strat-o-steve says, Gibson did fix/replace those under warranty. It came out the wood involved wasn't properly dried and cured. I suspect there's more of that going on than what is let on, as Gibson USA production seems to keep going up.

I've noticed, too...that several of the newer manufacured Gibson's,

have lifting logo's, on the headstocks, as well. Some, have the

finish, there, either cracking or flaking off, the inlay, and/or

around the tuning pegs. What's up, with THAT?! ;>b

CB

Thanks for all the replies. [thumbup]

I took a closer look at the crack and I could see that indeed it was where the maple top is glued to the body. In fact the 'seam' all along that area is fairly pronounced. Who's to say that the crack will not just spread and get worse over time? I'm no luthier, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that the top separating from the body is not good. [scared]

And here's the other thing...my Lp Studio is 15 years old, and in all this time, I have not a single crack on the entire thing. I understand nothing's perfect, and I don't expect it to be. But let's keep in mind that the LP studio is less than half the price of a Standard.

Well, lots of conflicting advice. Here's my 2 cents...take it to an authorized Gibson repair person and ask them to document it and see if warranty work is called for. Document it so that if it fails later you have a record of the issue as it stands today.

None of us can judge what is really going on without seeing the real guitar. The pictures are suggestive, but that's all they are.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I would personally take it back and at least have some evidence that you flagged this as a potential issue. I think that I would also request that its sent back to Gibson for a repair.

As you most probably purchased this guitar for its tone, feel etc, asking for an exchange would be a risk, as not LP`s are equal.

Although its most probably only cosmetic, I know how this can play on your mind. I had a similar issue with my old Strat, which didn`t help when I tried to sell her.

All the best and I hope it all works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with CB.

Although I personally haven't experienced any of these kinds of finish cracks, I've noticed that Gibsons produced in the last few years or so seem to be inordinately represented with complaints about this type of finish crack, on this forum and others. I'm talking about finish cracks along joint seems, whether it's binding and wood seams, or wood on wood seams. There was a period about a year or so ago where there were several complaints here about nasty cracks along fingerboard/neck/binding seams. And despite what Strat-o-steve says, Gibson did fix/replace those under warranty. It came out the wood involved wasn't properly dried and cured. I suspect there's more of that going on than what is let on, as Gibson USA production seems to keep going up.

One factor to consider is that the laws and regulations governing the chemicals used in guitar building (anywhere from the glues to the solvent-based nitro finish) have become progressively more restrictive over the years to protect the environment. As a guitar builder myself, I noticed that the nitrocellulose finishes of today tend to crack extremely easily (by just looking at them, it seems); they crush and dent very easily as well compared to the finishes of 30-50 years ago. The cheaper polyurethane finishes used by the Chinese are more resilient. I don't think I would lobby Gibson to switch to polyurethane, though! [thumbdn]

So while I don't exclude workmanship quality, I think that the materials of today are inferior in some respects to those used in the past and may be causing the increased observance of finish cracking.

Of course I don't have the guitar in front of me, but....... I think that your making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

I totally agree... It amazes me how many people there are out there that worry about these small cosmetic details... When you play the guitar for a long period of time, you will get a lot more marks a heck of a lot more serious than that...

My advice -- don't worry about it.. is nothing..

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Obviously it's hard to tell from a photo but I'd be surprised if Gibson wouldn't offer to repair or replace it. The crack looks very strait and dead along the line of the maple cap, I would guess that it is coming off/moving due to insufficient glue.

If they do turn you down on the grounds that it is a finish issue after they or an authorized repair centre have seen it first hand, then take their words for it and don't dwell, you bought it for it's tone and feel, not the finish in a fairly innocuous area and after 20 years of playing wear you wont see it for the finish wearing off, checking, dings, dent's, scretches etc. That said, I think I would loose sleep, I don't mind admitting that that kind of thing gets to me.

I took a closer look at the crack and I could see that indeed it was where the maple top is glued to the body. In fact the 'seam' all along that area is fairly pronounced. Who's to say that the crack will not just spread and get worse over time? I'm no luthier, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that the top separating from the body is not good. .....

Any update on your situation ?

• 2 months later...

I had my guitar replaced last Oct (2010) for the exact same issue.. So, they will replace it.. There. I also live in So Calif.

2009_Gibson_Traditional_Crack_E.jpg

Yeah Aceluek, the crack in your old axe is almost identical to mine...even the location, which I hear is where this usually occurs.

Any word on getting it repaired or replaced?

Hey y'all...I thought people forgot about my thread! [biggrin]

I did get around to speaking with Gibson recently (life has been so hectic with school and work). Surprisingly, they didn't ask me to send pics or anything. The gentleman I spoke with was helpful with the information and answering my questions, and at this point he has assigned me an RMA number and instructed me to send the guitar back. Initially this is what I've wanted all along, but I'm having second thoughts..I'll tell you why.

When I first got this LP Std, it's not like I just walked into a shop, played for a bit and picked it up. Of course tone/sound is the most important factor, but this being my first really nice guitar, I also wanted a really nice flamed top. And as many of you know, the thing with these "AA" tops is that they vary so much. I've seen tops that range from almost 100% plain to super figured. I spent months going to various shops in the Los Angeles area (GC, Samash, Best Buy, indie stores etc etc), as well as scouring any online vendors that produced pictures of their stock. Obsessive? Maybe...but I'm not like some of the other lucky dudes on the forums that are rockin like 6 historic LP's [drool] . This was going to be my ONE and one and only for a while...and I wanted to make it count.

So this is where I'm at. The Gibson rep said that basically if they decide I am covered under warranty, they'll pretty much just grab a guitar send a replacement from the factory. I totally get that it doesn't make too much logistical sense for them to send me a ton of pics of their stock or for me to fly to Nashville ( [blink] ). After all the time and effort I spent, it'd just be nice to be able to get something that is comparable to what I currently have. The whole thing was just a bummer since it was my first high-end guitar experience, after playing a Studio (with no cracks) for so long.

(I'll post pics of my LP top later as well as some comparisons)

Archived