Gibson Brands Forums

what is the point of FUZZ?

S t e v e

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd hit you back and take all your fuzz pedals from you and ship 'em to different parts of the world [lol]

The best fuzz pedal is the one without a battery or the one that has been shipped to another country and lost by FedEx. [flapper]

ACtually, the best fuzz pedal is one with a battery right on the brink of failure. It sounds so sweet [biggrin]

Go balls to the wall with an Ampeg Scrambler which is a Fuzz/Distortion pedal I think this is probably one of my most liked vintage pedals. It kinda hits you in the face like a handful of glass.

Funny that you posted a Fredric Unpleasant Companion because I just got offered a Fredric blue Harmonic Percolator clone to trade for my Sound Shank.

I'm not sure about it though I don't know how close it is to the original and all that stuff. The guys playing is so horrible in the videos I can't even tell what it sounds like with a somewhat competent guitarist like myself. I mean his playing is so bad that I question his pedals.

Original question asked on this thread: What is the point of fuzz?

Best answer: To freak on squares like me, of course.

End of thread.

There, I fixed your post.

You're welcome, simpleton.

For what it's worth...

There doesn't seem much courtesy being served here.

As an old picker, I don't see a lotta difference between some significant overdrive and light "fuzz" when I hear it.

There's a lot that guitarists can have in their gear bags to modify sound. Sometimes I like it and think it's appropriate, sometimes I think it sounds as if someone is reaching too hard.

In fact, I've been guilty, I think, of overdoing kinda a phaser-Leslie thing that I like the sound of, but apparently doesn't make the same impression on others.

So... I think it's cool that folks like us reach for creativity in our guitar playing. But when you reach a bit too far, either literally or figuratively, you can be unbalanced and fall rather easily.

m

There, I fixed your post.

You're welcome, simpleton.

Simpleton? [biggrin] You know how much I've posted in hopes of getting that said to me! [lol][thumbup]

I even learnt to play guitar in order to come here and post in hopes someone would call me a simpleton.

No, really, I always loved that word. [thumbup]

He sounds average

An average Simpleton?

Simpleton rhymes with my name... that's gotta be above average [thumbup]

BTW Nate... still looking for a fender blender? I'd probably take it with me to the US and ship it to you if we can work some price out. [thumbup]

An average Simpleton?

Simpleton rhymes with my name... that's gotta be above average [thumbup]

BTW Nate... still looking for a fender blender? I'd probably take it with me to the US and ship it to you if we can work some price out. [thumbup]

I'll be honest with you, if you want a decent price, I can't afford it. I'm trying to save up for a jazzmaster, gotta still buy a bigsby for my LP, and hopefully do some pedal builds all while still being unemployed and living off of what I made last year. If you want to dump it, like dub t's friend, I can do that. I needs a job man :'(

Demonknight nailed it... it's a noisy effect. That's why I don't like it at all, I love my stuff to sound as clean as possible (even when using lots of distortion for metal, I like maiden style metal, not anything noisy).

I know lots of guys that use it and love it, they sound great with it, but it's just not for me which is great according to the wife: one thing less I wanna buy [biggrin]

Fuzz is practically essential for noisier rock styles (i.e. noise rock.) Overdrive can get you there a lot of the time, but fuzz is what you really need for wild, insane distortion. I think fuzz certainly has its place.

Steve Albini never shies away from fuzz.

You listen to Shoegazey stuff right? It has its place, especially for two piece or minimalist set ups (which I hope to enter into again soon-ish...)

Demonknight nailed it... it's a noisy effect. That's why I don't like it at all, I love my stuff to sound as clean as possible (even when using lots of distortion for metal, I like maiden style metal, not anything noisy).

I know lots of guys that use it and love it, they sound great with it, but it's just not for me which is great according to the wife: one thing less I wanna buy [biggrin]

Hey, as long as you understand it. And since you don't like it, 5 bucks for the Fender Blender?

You listen to Shoegazey stuff right? It has its place, especially for two piece or minimalist set ups (which I hope to enter into again soon-ish...)

Yep, I listen to a fair bit of shoegaze and indie stuff these days. As far as shoegaze, my favorites are probably MBV and Slowdive. Lately I've been getting into noise rock like it's nobody's business. Sonic Youth, Big Black, The Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid, Royal Trux, ***** Galore...great stuff!

Also, the Fender Blender is an excellent and completely off-the-wall pedal. If you can snag it, I say go for it!

I thought fuzz was for covering peaches....?

Fuzz is definately NOT on Fuzzy Steve's head.

Well... ok, My first effects pedal was a Fuzz-wah. It was the shiznit.

I prefer a good distortion pedal to a fuzz, though.

Mostly.

Sometimes.

I thought fuzz was for covering peaches....?

Fuzz is definately NOT on Fuzzy Steve's head.

Well... ok, My first effects pedal was a Fuzz-wah. It was the shiznit.

I prefer a good distortion pedal to a fuzz, though.

Mostly.

Sometimes.

Was that a FOXX?

I'd punch you square in the jaw if you did in real life [biggrin]

Just sayin [lol]

DUDE!!!

Over in Milrod's corner, HE was kinda ranting about poeple online sometimes having no manners or knowing how to treat each other.

I disagreed with him about THIS site and held YOU up as an example of a younger guy who is an example of how to treat others and co-mingle with respect.

Set me straight.

Archived