Gibson Brands Forums

Ronnie James Dio

Californiaman

I don't know if he was a great guy or not. Never knew him.

But I own the Sabbath albums he made, and the first 4 or 5 of his solo albums.

He is one of my favorite singers.

I still listen to them to this day. And I am still amazed at the voice this guy had.

He was unique. He was one of a kind.

Really loved this cool character with an exceptional voice & presence!

Was lucky enough to see him sing 4 times (once with Sabbath) and briefly met him 3 times. I saw him on consecutive nights, where on the second night whilst in the queue after the gig he remembered my name from the night before and called out to me [thumbup]

here's a pic of three signed tickets,

DSC01039912x684.jpg

I've always been a huge DIO fan even since I accidently aquired Mob Rules back in about 8th grade. After giving it a listen I thought it was so good I went and got the older Heaven and Hell which is even better IMO.

I still kick myself for missing an opportunity to meet him back in 1989. I flew out to L.A. with some friends of mine and we stayed with some guys in Van Nuys who were working musicians out there and one happened to be doing studio work for DIO. Me and another guy decided to get a car and drive down to San Diego, while the rest of the guys stayed in L.A. If I would have stayed in L.A., I would have gotten to go into the studio and meet RJD and watch some recording sessions [cursing]

The other guys who went all said what a cool guy he was and that he sat and talked to them just like a normal guy without acting like a big Rockstar or anything.

I don't know if he was a great guy or not. Never knew him.

But I own the Sabbath albums he made, and the first 4 or 5 of his solo albums.

He is one of my favorite singers.

I still listen to them to this day. And I am still amazed at the voice this guy had.

He was unique. He was one of a kind.

I love how in an interview he said "I don't write Love Songs"-)

Archived