Gibson Brands Forums

just got in from a Clapton concert at the Albert Hall

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

Just got back from another freebie, Eric Clapton at the Albert Hall. Frankly it was crap. Sound was bad, played virtually no hits, no atmosphere. Tickets would have been £75 ($115) I'd be really annoyed if I had paid.

Too bad you had to sit through a crappy show at the Albert Hall with bad sound, no hits and no atmosphere.

BTW, I'm just wondering - - Is this a new trend here in the Lounge - trashing well regarded artists?

Too bad you had to sit through a crappy show at the Albert Hall with bad sound, no hits and no atmosphere.

BTW, I'm just wondering - - Is this a new trend here in the Lounge - trashing well regarded artists?

Yeah, that's all people on a lot of the forums I go to. It makes people feel better I guess

Guest FarnsBarns

Crikey! I was just saying. It does happen.

It's not like I trashed him, he is clearly an increadible musician, just a bad gig, probably more down to the crowd than it is down to him.

BTW, It's nothing I wouldn't say to his face.

Interesting. I've been to concerts, where the artist was playing well,

but the sound, out front, was terrible. Hard to imagine bad sound in

the Albert Hall, but...anything's possible, I guess?

Was this a "thrown together" last minute thing, or planned months ahead?

If it was the latter, then..."off to the Tower, and off with their heads,"

for the sound guys/company. ;>)

CB

BTW, It's nothing I wouldn't say to his face.

Mr. C himself has said he'd rather people told him the truth than brown-nose him all the time. He's freely admitted that sometimes he just doesn't get the vibe and the resulting show sucks.

Seems like you had one of those, Farns.

Hey; at least it was free...

P.

Mr. C himself has said he'd rather people told him the truth than brown-nose him all the time. He's freely admitted that sometimes he just doesn't get the vibe and the resulting show sucks.

Seems like you had one of those, Farns.

Hey; at least it was free...

P.

I just can't believe....so i guess i got luck.I saw him twice, one show with Steve Winwood and both wre incredible.

It happens! In my opinion it is usually musicians who are very sensitive and passionate that can vary like this.

Of the two classical guitarists John Williams and Julian Bream it is Williams who is legendary for flawless performances and consistency, yet many including myself find his playing lacking colour.

Then there is Julian Bream. Equally famous for the extremes he went to, colouring his music with tone changes, dynamics etc - he had flop performances where it didn't work...but when it did...wow!! I always have preferred Bream and even the mistakes!

Matt

Legends like Eric can only build peoples' expectations to the highest level

He is, after all only human....and a big gig like this takes a lot of heart and stamina

It is great to see him performing and drawing the crowds to this day.....

V

:-({|=

It happens! In my opinion it is usually musicians who are very sensitive and passionate that can vary like this.

Of the two classical guitarists John Williams and Julian Bream it is Williams who is legendary for flawless performances and consistency, yet many including myself find his playing lacking colour.

Then there is Julian Bream. Equally famous for the extremes he went to, colouring his music with tone changes, dynamics etc - he had flop performances where it didn't work...but when it did...wow!! I always have preferred Bream and even the mistakes!

Matt

[thumbup]

I agree with every word!

There was a T.V. program I saw (I think it was a Classical guitar masterclass, but it must have been 25 years ago so I'm not 100% sure) where examples of the same passage of music from each of those two greats was played back-to-back to a small group of professional musicians. They were then asked to write down which they preferred. The same passages were then slowed down to 1/2 speed to fine-critique the playing. Williams' playing was perfect where Bream's was not. But it was Bream's performance which everyone had said they preferred.

P.

Interesting to compare the talents of Bream vs Williams

I was privileged to see J Bream in concert in the 70's when he was filling large venues

A truly memorable concert with 2 hours of charismatic playing and several encores

Also J Williams with Sky late 70's at the height of their fame.....a very successful classical/rock crossover project

Quite surreal to see John switch from Les Paul to Classical Acoustic during the concert

And treat the audience to some truly virtuosic playing

IMO we owe them both equally for bringing classical guitar to the attention of the wider public

And extending the repertoire also.....

V

Guest FarnsBarns

Did he still play his strat?

Good question. I was wondering what he'd play. It was a Strat, he also played an acoustic but no LP.

This is one reason in other threads I've been kinda a "do the PA thing 'stedda just guitar amps."

Clapton may have sounded fine to himself on stage. Or he could have sounded cruddy to himself on stage through the monitors, etc. Bottom line is that no matter what you think you sound like on stage, it's not necessarily what an audience might hear even if it's a totally acoustic thing without mikes in a venue of 20-30 people.

When I've had problems figuring what I sound like on various systems, frankly I've an idea it sounded horrid to an audience - and it's a horrible feeling that the sound just isn't making it. That certainly doesn't help my playing and I doubt that such concerns does anything good for any musician.

m

Guest FarnsBarns

This is one reason in other threads I've been kinda a "do the PA thing 'stedda just guitar amps."

Clapton may have sounded fine to himself on stage. Or he could have sounded cruddy to himself on stage through the monitors, etc. Bottom line is that no matter what you think you sound like on stage, it's not necessarily what an audience might hear even if it's a totally acoustic thing without mikes in a venue of 20-30 people.

When I've had problems figuring what I sound like on various systems, frankly I've an idea it sounded horrid to an audience - and it's a horrible feeling that the sound just isn't making it. That certainly doesn't help my playing and I doubt that such concerns does anything good for any musician.

m

All very true. Strange thing is he'd been there for 3 nights and I've seen him there at least 5 times before and It's always been OK. I have seen a surprising amount of people sound less than their best in there. I think the famous acoustics are perhaps too good meaning reverberated sound can turn amplified sound a bit muddy.

Just my thoughts.

From hearing about the Albert Hall over many decades

I believe the acoustics there are really challenging

They have installed all manner of reflective dishes and panels to tame the echoes etc

So I imagine the sound will vary widely around the hall

And then there is the task of getting good amplified sound from a variety of guitars....

V

Guest FarnsBarns

From hearing about the Albert Hall over many decades

I believe the acoustics there are really challenging

They have installed all manner of reflective dishes and panels to tame the echoes etc

So I imagine the sound will vary widely around the hall

And then there is the task of getting good amplified sound from a variety of guitars....

V

The fiberglass mushrooms stop the reverberation from the domed roof. I can say that I have seen Jules Holland and his band in there, put the Mic down and address the audience without it and talk about how good the accoustics are, and his shows always sound fine. I think it has good acoustics for non amplified stuff, that's what it was built for.

Strangely, I always sit in the same spot in there. (stalls M, row 10 between seats 120-125), as I've heard the same artists sound good and bad I think it is a case of tricky acoustics set off against the quality of your sound man.

Guest FarnsBarns

Hmm, interesting.

When we arrived at this concert an area outside was cordened off with police tape. Turns out (I just learned) that a 10 year old boy was run over and killed by a tourist coach. It seems likely that Eric and the band would have known about it before going on stage. That would have dampened their spirits somewhat.

Archived