Gibson Brands Forums

Aged Plastic?

daveinspain

That, actually, is not a bad price.

They are TRULY rare, and they are not meant for your project or goofing off making different stuff. For those with the real deal guitars that have parts that are bad or missing, You kinda need stuff like that if you are going to attempt to restore it to origional.

Now, 300 bucks for a reproduction, there is no reason for that.

[...] You kinda need stuff like that if you are going to attempt to restore it to origional.

Now, 300 bucks for a reproduction, there is no reason for that.

Well, you wouldn't restore it to original just because you buy a $150 plastic part - it would still be a spare part. $300 for a reproduction is insane, but so is $150 for an original.

Just my 2 cents...

Well, you wouldn't restore it to original just because you buy a $150 plastic part - it would still be a spare part. $300 for a reproduction is insane, but so is $150 for an original.

Just my 2 cents...

That's true. A replaced part is still a replaced part.

The point is, it is an origional CORRECT part for certain guitars.

There IS a market and an interest in restoring origional guitars that have been modded or altered, and one that has been restored using ORIGIONAL parts is a better restoration than one using replacements.

No one in thier right mind would pay that unless they knew what they were doing, or had a use for such that part. But think about it: How much is a guitar worth that that part came off, and what is the worth of the guitar depending on having the correct parts, and how easy is it to get the parts?

Yep..it's getting stupid...just got back from local dealer in "rare" guitars...

1956 Les Paul Gold top....looked as though it had been run over by a truck! Not sure it would play well even after lots of attention...

They only wanted $63,000 AUD for it!!!! Ridiculous!!! [thumbdn]

How could you ever tell a real ring from a repro that was just aged on the back porch for a few seasons?

I personally would not be able to tell, but I have read and seen pics on how to authenticate older Gibson pup rings. It has to do with the tooling marks.

AND...there are even fakes of authentic pup rings out there, believe it or not.

Archived