Gibson Brands Forums

New Family Picture

Red 333

Spotondrums motivated me to take a new picture of some of the guitars in my collection. Here are the Gibson acoustics.

227ii.jpg

J-160E Standard (solid top/x-bracing), J-160E Peace (laminated top/ladder bracing), Advanced Jumbo, Short-scale Maple Advanced Jumbo

Bottom

J-45 Rosewood Vine, Southern Jumbo True Vintage, J45 True Vintage (Adirondack top), Fuller's J-35 Reissue (Adirondack top), J-185 Vine

Red 333

Wow, Im speechless Red, what an amazing family, just stunning.

There must be a lot of competion between the kids to get your center of attention !

I guess youre a bit of a slopey fan ?

Just wondering why no square shouldered made the family album yet ?

I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy,...(bowing down).....lol....what a NICE family photo!!! Do you think that next time you could get all those guitars out of the way, so I can see than nice leather Arts&Crafts sofa????!!! Those guitars are kind of in the way...thanks. Red...just an observation....you don't have any small body Gibby's...that is a real gap in your collection that needs to be addressed....lol

I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy,...(bowing down).....lol....what a NICE family photo!!! Do you think that next time you could get all those guitars out of the way, so I can see than nice leather Arts&Crafts sofa????!!! Those guitars are kind of in the way...thanks. Red...just an observation....you don't have any small body Gibby's...that is a real gap in your collection that needs to be addressed....lol

It's fabric.

And from Penny's.

Red 333

Impressive collection...but I don't see a square shoulders.

Yeah, I don't know why that it. It just happened this way. I do have a square shouldered Epiphone in my Family Picture #2, though. It was actually my FIRST acoustic (an adult), LOL.

Red 333

X-braced J-160E aha, , , with the Peace model in house you have the best oppotunity to compare the 2 patterns.

Can I ask :

Does your wife understand this collection. . .

To understand all is to forgive all.

Plus I'm unmarried, and have a very sympathetic girlfriend.

Red 333

Plus I'm unmarried, and have a very sympathetic girlfriend.

- A rather ideal concept. . .

Okay, the more serious part of my post. Do you hear significant difference between the 2 woods +ladder and X-pattern. In terms of projection, bass, depth, you know.

Guess so -

- A rather ideal concept. . .

Okay, the more serious part of my post. Do you hear significant difference between the 2 woods +ladder and X-pattern. In terms of projection, bass, depth, you know.

Guess so -

Oh my goodness, yes. The ladder-braced model doesn't have an acoustic tone that's very much like today's acoustic guitars--it sounds more like an archtop. Not much bass and very few overtones. That's why the solid-top, x-braced J-160E Standard was developed: it sounds like a traditional acoustic, though not as rich.

If you want a guitar that LOOKS like the one used by The Beatles, yet SOUNDS like an acoustic guitar to your friends, you want the solid-top, x-braced Standard. If you want the guitar that LOOKS like the one used by The Beatles and SOUNDS like the records (think Day In The Life), you want the laminated, ladder-braced Peace, one of the Lennon Anniversary editions, or one of the 60's Spec versions offered by Fullers and other 5-Star dealers here in the States.

The ladder-braced J-160E's also sound even more like an electric guitar (which is really what they are).

Red 333

Nice collection you have there and yes I looked at the Epi side of the family also.

Love the look of those vines.

Tell me about the J160E, I have been thinking of getting one of those.

Gill

Gill, I think the post above kind of sums up my thoughts. If you have more questions after reading that, though, I'll be glad to try to help.

Red 333

The ladder-braced J-160E's also sound even more like an electric guitar (which is really what they are).

I've tried several 160s and they are not for me. Never heard of the other model. Imagine it comes close to a 45 -

Archived