Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with my Marshall (NOW WITH VIDEO)

swleary

Not getting any help from the Marshall forums so here goes lol

Bought a Marshall MA50C last Thursday and it was fine. Saturday I put some pedals through it and now I get a hum on both channels. I took the pedals off, changed wall outlets and switched cables but still get the problem. It doesn't do it when I'm playing, just when it's idle. I've tried to eliminate all electrical interference but still nothing. Kinda upset now, I really don't want to have to carry the thing back to the store :(

maybe I'll pop over to England and yell at Steve while I'm at it lol

hey, i have no problems with MY marshall...i told you not to buy one from china.

maybe you need a noise supressor...jus sayin [flapper]

Guest FarnsBarns

maybe I'll pop over to England and yell at Steve while I'm at it lol

If you're coming to England, stop in at Milton Keynes and shout at Jim Marshall.

Get it hot, get a pencil, eraser end tap on the preamps, then the big ones. Hum at idle is usually a tube if it doesn't change with external grounding stuff. Stock t00bs on that thing could be crap. Any amp could have crap in it when you get it.

rct

I took it back to the store and they tried it out. No hum what so ever...I'm starting to think I got some ground issues in this house. We had a bad lightning storm on Saturday night and that could be the whole problem because that's when it started it doing it.

I took it back to the store and they tried it out. No hum what so ever...I'm starting to think I got some ground issues in this house. We had a bad lightning storm on Saturday night and that could be the whole problem because that's when it started it doing it.

I use two of these (GFCI Power Strip).... Especially an amp without a polarity switch these types of power strips can definitley help, especially at clubs when there is stage lighting involved.

My link

Guest FarnsBarns

great link Guitarest ..thank you

Duane, going to try a few things but that power strip is forsure a must..thank you for the link :)

That strip certainly looks useful and well built but If I have understood the device correctly it is a robust surge protector and it wont stop your hum (IMHO).

No Offence Duane!

Check these out...

power conditioner

Get it hot, get a pencil, eraser end tap on the preamps, then the big ones. Hum at idle is usually a tube if it doesn't change with external grounding stuff. Stock t00bs on that thing could be crap. Any amp could have crap in it when you get it.

rct

Could be right with this one, the Haze head I got was made in India (I dont really care about that) they used a JJ preamp tube which is apparently are a "ok" preamp tube but the power amp tubes were some Sunghao Chosan Ding or some crap like that, and from what I read over on the Marshall forums are one of the first things people "mod" in this little head. This could be commonplace with all there "offshore" productions (even thought its the same landmass)

What type pickups are in your guitar? Single coil? If so, does the hum stop when you touch the strings or pickups? Single coils inherently have what is known as 60 cycle hum. Also, is you amp in close proximity to a computer?

Bob

it took me a while to figure this one out. also being to close to a lap top with a guitar will hum. ive seen hum eliminators that you can plug in the wall socket. and i have in my gig bag is one of those outlet testers you plug in to the wall outlet and it tells you if the outlet was wired correctly.

Ok the whole story..lol

I bought it last Thursday. Brought it home, no problems at all. No hum or anything. Saturday I went out and got a few pedals and put them on it, first ran them through the from then ran them through the effects loop. Saturday night , we got a really bad storm with lightning and thunder. I unplugged the amp just to be on the safe side. Fired it up on Sunday afternoon and low and behold the hum was there.

I took it back to the store today and the sales person plugged it in. No hum however they have a ventilation fan going which I think is why we didn't hear the hum. I went out again and bought a hum eliminator but haven't tried it yet. At this point, I just want the thing gone or at least the store could try to help the problem rather than say "oh we can send it out and have it fixed"...like um no..money back or get me a new one quick...yes I'm whining a little lol

Is the device you bought a Hum X...if so it won't work unless you have a ground loop.

Your issue sounds like RFI...does the hum go away when you touch the strings?

And is there anything running in your house now that wasn't on last week...like a AC unit?

And have you tried a different outlet?

I had a problem with a power strip. I was using an older one. The hum started, I pulled a roadie on it. A swift kick to the power strip. Replaced the power strip, no more hum.

Archived