Gibson Brands Forums

Don't tell Steve but I'm seeking knowledge on FUZZ

swleary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking for the classic muff tone, the BYOC Large Beaver is where it's at.

If you're looking for a muff with a lot of "character" that's not exactly classic but still very muffy, the Hyperion is where it's at.

Personally, I like the Hyperion. It's got a certain texture that I like.

Tell me what kindof sound you're looking for and it will be easier to narrow it down for you.

If you're looking for the classic muff tone, the BYOC Large Beaver is where it's at.

If you're looking for a muff with a lot of "character" that's not exactly classic but still very muffy, the Hyperion is where it's at.

Personally, I like the Hyperion. It's got a certain texture that I like.

Tell me what kindof sound you're looking for and it will be easier to narrow it down for you.

More of a classic kind of sound, like SRV however I do like the versatility of something that could easily help with stuff like Red Fang :)

More of a classic kind of sound, like SRV however I do like the versatility of something that could easily help with stuff like Red Fang :)

I don't listen to SRV but I've never heard anything from him that sounds remotely close to a Big Muff.

Either way... For classic Muff and lots of versatility, look no further than the BYOC Large Beaver. That's what you want. They're $90 as a kit or you can get them pre-assembled for a little more on eBay. Trust me it will be worth it. You will be rocking and loving fuzz. They **** all over current EHX Muffs...

IMO you don't want to look at a Fuzz Factory type like the Judge.. It will give you some Red Fang action (from what I've heard from Red Fang anyways) but it will also give you like 99% crap you will hate.

I've read that the Fuzz Factory is basically a Fuzz Face with a couple pots in the place of resistors and a starve. I definately find that I can get some Fuzz Face sounds out of it but you might as well just get a Fuzz Face for that. I love how the Fuzz Factory cleans up like a Fuzz Face in those settings though. That's a pretty cool sound.

I would miss the freakiness too. That's sad man. I pretty much only use mine for the velcro action now.

Now that I think about it if SRV is what you're looking for swearly you might wanna check out some good Fuzz Face clones. Like Jeff said he used a Fuzz Face because he was basically trying to copy Jimi a lot of the time.

Maybe pull a Chase and check out the Plum Crazy fx Fuzzy Lady. Apparently it does Fuzz Face and gets kinda muffy.

Edit: 2 posts snuck in while I was posting haha

Either way... For classic Muff and lots of versatility, look no further than the BYOC Large Beaver. That's what you want. They're $90 as a kit or you can get them pre-assembled for a little more on eBay. Trust me it will be worth it. You will be rocking and loving fuzz. They **** all over current EHX Muffs...

+1. The Hartman Vintage Germanium fuzz is great too.

I'll make you Fuzz Face on the cheap

Where do you get legit Ge transistors for relatively cheap man?

By the way I'm getting that Lovepedal Superlead PCB from Culturejam and all the other parts for it too. It's not really a pedal I would buy but all the parts are gonna be like $25 shipped total and I just want to practice.

I have a Visual Sound Angry Fuzz and I love it. It goes from the vintage style Fuzz Face type sounds to more modern sounds.

Also, it's got the octave up sound like the Octavio that Hendrix used on Foxy Lady and All Along The Watchtower... big difference though, while the amount of gain used on the pedal affects how audible the octave pitch is and also becomes more noticable when you turn down your guitar's volume, there is also a "Angry" knob which is basically a blend knob that lets you control how much of the octave is present in the sound.

One of the reasons I chose this pedal was the fact they were the only pedal I could find that had a way of controlling the presence of the octave overtone besides adding more fuzz or manipulating the guitar volume. All the way counter clockwise removes the octave completely making it a standard fuzz,and all the way clockwise makes it like the Octavio. I think this is great because I didn't have the budget for an Octavio style pedal and a Fuzz Face so this gives you both options in one pedal. With the volume turned way down on the guitar, I also find that the octave up tone reminds me of when Satriani has his Digitech Whammy pedal set to an octave up setting.

Where do you get legit Ge transistors for relatively cheap man?

By the way I'm getting that Lovepedal Superlead PCB from Culturejam and all the other parts for it too. It's not really a pedal I would buy but all the parts are gonna be like $25 shipped total and I just want to practice.

Well the best way to get them cheap would be getting them in bulk or Ebay but then you have to test them. Which is a pain. Its alot easier to get them from Smallbear but they're pricy.

Have fun with the Superlead man. I'm workin on a bunch of stuff right now. Heres what I got goin. Once you do one you can't stop

GE Fuzz Face

Super Duper

Disortron

Octane

KOT

Zendrive

Fuzzy Fred, do you have a youtube video demoing various fuzz pedals since you are considered an expert on it? Im thinking of making my own fuzz. What do you think of BYOC kits?

No lol I just love fuzz! I don't think I'm an expert, hell half the **** I learn from Dub and other forums, but I just love em a bunch.

My friend had the Germanium Muff 4 or whatever. Sounded terrible. The volume levels were awful. One side was super quiet, the other would just boos the hell out of everything

Well the best way to get them cheap would be getting them in bulk or Ebay but then you have to test them. Which is a pain. Its alot easier to get them from Smallbear but they're pricy.

Have fun with the Superlead man. I'm workin on a bunch of stuff right now. Heres what I got goin. Once you do one you can't stop

GE Fuzz Face

Super Duper

Disortron

Octane

KOT

Zendrive

Thanks man.

I think the Super Duper would be more usable if the SHOs were independently switchable. Or if there was like one stomp and a toggle to bypass one. Run it before your Fuzz Factory!

Dude I want to build an Octane and Distortron. I was thinking about building those for a while. Are you using PCBs for all those?

Archived